Folder names on secondary computer
I figure while I try to work on my first problem, I would start on my second one.
I have a central media center in my office. It has all the movie and Tv show files on external drives. Prior to finding XBMC I was using the ugly WMP to stream my movies and shows to several other computers in my house. I am trying to do the same thing with XBMC. One of the problems I am having is that the file name seems to change on it's way to the XBMC remotes. Instead of seeing the file name Caprica, it comes up with 29E7B030. Obviously the scrappers can't find that. If I rename it, then scraps the info, thumbs, and fanart and thats it. I think the episodes must be having the same treatment as I don't get anything for them. (This is my first problem on main media center also http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49431)
My movies are the same way except it will not find anything when I rename the files.
I use UPnP to connect the remote computer to the main media center for the shared drives on it. I can see everything in file mode and watch everything, but thats not really any better the WMP11. I was hoping at the least to get the thumbs, fanart and tv show episodes even if I can't get the whole thing to function normally in library mode.
I am not very computer savvy, which is probably th problem. Any help is appreciated. I am starting to feel that I will need to find someone here in Las vegas that knows what they are doing as I have made no headway in the past 3 weeks.
My suggestion would be using Windows File Sharing (SMB, CIFS) sharing on the Main Meida Center (Vista?).
Don't however ask me for help to set it up. (unless you are prepared to fly me in Smile )
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Streaming
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am running XP, I will look at that and see what I can do, thanks.
Well, so far I have been unable to fix this. I only seem to be able to stream using UPnP and not SMB or any of the others. XBMC is the only one I stream using UPnP.
To restate the problem: I am trying to stream movies, tv shows, and music to another computer from my Media Center. The Media Center is an HP PC m1170n, with a Pentium 4 3.00ghz, with 2 gb of ram, Hauggaupe WinTV PCI II, running XP media center SP3. My remote computer is an ASUS Eee Top Touchscreen with the Atom processor, built in ATI graphics, running XP Home SP3.
When I map XBMC to my files, such as movie, everything looks fine. As in the folders are named right, the movies play well, but no movie art, fanart or info shows. All I see is the file icon and the file name, such as "Gran Torino". I tried to scrap info, but when I do the file name comes up "jef9w8w". On TV Shows I can manually rename and it will scrape the information and display it. It won't for movies. If I rename then it just doesn't find anything. The debug log doesn't show anything, therefor I haven't posted it.
I have also tried MIP on the remote comp and it doesn't scrape the movies either. I don't mind having to use file view for everything if I could at least get some cover art.
If anyone else has an idea, I am open to trying it.
I fixed this pretty much by following Sho's advice. Although I had already set it up, I went and redid the wizards for all my drives that I wanted to share. After some tinkering and making sure XBMC was excepted for the firewall it all showwed up.
Thanks again forum peoples!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Folder names on secondary computer0