[beginner] updating via github
i really don't understand what happens !

Code:
DiskStation> git checkout -b master
fatal: git checkout: branch master already exists
DiskStation> git branch -d auriga
error: Cannot delete the branch 'auriga' which you are currently on.
I would highly suggest that you delete the whole skin and start over with my original instructions.

I was just able to use "sudo git pull" without any other command...

I know its frustrating... I deleted and redownloaded numerous times til I got the commands right.
I agree with dandirk. While my Windows machine (running msysgit) is handling this fine, I am getting an issue from the Ubuntu side. I haven't mastered these commands yet. I would delete the whole aeon folder and follow the previous directions. I have two directories in my skin directory: "Aeon Stark" and "Aeon Auriga". I can simply cd into each and run git pull without any problem, and each will pull from the respective branch. Sorry I'm not much more help.
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
lol
thank for your, i'll try directly on my windows pc see if i have more luck !

lol! see that :

Code:
DiskStation> git pull
remote: Counting objects: 23, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (16/16), done.
remote: Total 16 (delta 11), reused 0 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (16/16), done.
From git://github.com/djh/aeon
   6a5f4e4..f6f8608  auriga     -> origin/auriga
/opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: /opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: 163: tr: not found
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.auriga.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me either.        Please
specify which branch you want to merge on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
configure the following variables in your configuration
file:

branch.auriga.remote = <nickname>
    branch.auriga.merge = <remote-ref>
    remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
    remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.

seems it worked?
This is a total pain in the ass. Git Bash tells me my directory doesn't exist but if I move it it says it does exist. Call me crazy, but it just seems easier to me to just download and overwrite the folder whole skin directory than to spend an hour trying to figure out how to get git to work properly.
Once I got it sorted I had no poblems. I would have preferred svn but git works just fine.
I'm starting to wonder if some of us are using a different version of git than others because this is not that damn complicated. Tongue
I have posted instructions and resources to make your git working SEVERAL TIMES in this forum. And everything is hard if you don't make an effort to learn it. One hour to get git working is a pain in the ass? Believe me, it's worth the effort in the long run. I have Aeon (Auriga and Stark) constantly updated, with some branches for mods, some other branches with my own mods, and even with my translations. Everything updated easily.

And for people asking for help, do a bit of search and learn the tool a bit first, as you have done with xbmc itself. But no one forces you to use it, download the zip and stop complaining.
i tried again this morning, it updated.

great Big Grin

in fact I've got the error message because there's no update.
dedaluz Wrote:I have posted instructions and resources to make your git working SEVERAL TIMES in this forum. And everything is hard if you don't make an effort to learn it. One hour to get git working is a pain in the ass? Believe me, it's worth the effort in the long run. I have Aeon (Auriga and Stark) constantly updated, with some branches for mods, some other branches with my own mods, and even with my translations. Everything updated easily.

And for people asking for help, do a bit of search and learn the tool a bit first, as you have done with xbmc itself. But no one forces you to use it, download the zip and stop complaining.

I followed your guide and, as I said, git bash was telling me my directories didn't exist. I'm not complaining, I was just saying that it's a pain in the ass and not worth the time for me. And yes...an hour to figure something like that out is ridiculous. I could download the full zip file and update 15 times in an hour.Rolleyes
ppic Wrote:i tried again this morning, it updated.

great Big Grin

in fact I've got the error message because there's no update.

GREAT!!!!

its odd though on my machine it tells me "currently updated" or something like that.
smcnally75 Wrote:I'm not complaining, I was just saying that it's a pain in the ass
Come on.

Look, I really appreciate your hard work testing aeon and helping everyone here. So I won't reply to this kind of arguments or opinions. I'm really tired of byzantine discussions.

If you want to tell which guide did you follow or what steps or commands....
In short, if you want help, even with PM or IM, fine. I'll try to help.

If you really care, I can try to make a new thread with a detailed tuto on how I manage aeon github repo though I'm not a git guru, just a user.

Thx for your dedication, smcnally, I really know this can get frustrating, specially after so many hours working, debugging and debating here.
I really don't have a beef with Git at all. I'm sure I could figure it all out if I spent the extra time. All I was getting at was that for me, personally, it isn't worth spending that extra time just to have one skin update automagically. If I had more reasons to use Git, then I would definitely try harder. Smile
I'v tried alot, but the closest I came was downloading the skin into a 200mb random folder! Would love a detailed guide explaining step by step how to update Auriga on a Windows computer.
In the git Gui when adding the source, i want to specify the Auriga rather than the master, as from the github site, both have the same public clone url
git://github.com/djh/aeon.git
So i try and put git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga

But get an error,
Clone Failed
Cannot fetch branches and objects, See console output for details.

Which says this
fatal: protocol error: expected sha/ref, got '
Well after trying trying duplex's instructions, I got stuck on the git pull
with the error:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories)

to me it sounds like i'm in the wrong directory, i'm not
or the address of the git page is wrong.. its not.

so i'm a bit stuck. also i was unable to have it say my directory with (master) after it.. not sure if thats of any concern

thanks for any help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[beginner] updating via github0