Don't assume my TV doesn't have anamorphic
just becase my xbox is setup as 4:3 don't have xbmc assume my tv doesn't have an anamorphic mode. i want to be able to have xbmc play anamorphic movies without aspect processing so that my tv can do it.
Kodi v17.6 on Asustor NAS
Kodi v17.6 on Fire Stick v2
why?

surely you can just enable widescreen under the ms dash?

what is the benefit in having widescreen disabled?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i have a 4:3 television with anamorphic mode. so its pointless for me to run games or regular videos in 16:9 mode, but when a recording is done anamorphic my tv can take advantage of this extra information, but if xbmc undoes this information i can't. so having xbmc assume that because i have a 4:3 tv that it doesn't have an anamorphic mode makes things difficult and doesn't let me take advantage of this great feature of my tv.
hey there,

the issue is as follows:

the xbox has the ability to turn on the 16:9 flag in the video stream so that tv's with auto-switching capability can switch to the appropriate mode (4:3 or 16:9).

however, it can only be setup to send this signal if the widescreen option is enabled in the ms dash - it crashes otherwise.

the only way around this is for us to change the code so that it only sets the widescreen flag in the video stream if the ms dash flag is set, but also allows the aspect ratio to change if the ms dash flag is not set, and the user specifies in xbmc settings that they are allow it to autoswitch to 16:9 modes.

this imo is a bit of an ugly solution. the fact is that if you have widescreen enabled in the ms dash then that doesn't mean that a title has to be displayed in 16:9 - it can choose to display in 4:3 if it wants to. this is spelt out clearly in the xdk documentation. the idea is that a game should present you with the option to choose either 4:3 or 16:9. obviously some games just force the choice on the user. this ofcourse is a flaw in those games, not in xbmc.

with that said, i'm willing to make these changes if there is sufficient demand for this feature.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

ahhh,
information lowly users don't necesarily know.

i'll try setting my xbox to 16:9 in the dash and see how things turn out. i'm pretty sure my tv won't auto-switch to anamorphic, but its easy enough to get in the menu, so as long as it plays in anamorphic mode all should be good.

thanks!
ok, i set my xbox to 16:9 widescreen in the xbox dashboard and it hasn't changed anything in xbmc, it still plays widescreen encodings placing the black bars in and not letting my tv anamorphic mode take care of it.
make sure you have choose best resolution enabled.

then play a movie that should be displayed in widescreen.

press the start button while the movie is playing - it should have a 16:9 mode as the resolution.

stop that video, and play one that should be in 4:3 mode. press the start button while the movie is playing - it should have a 4:3 mode as the resolution.

best resolution has been enabled this whole time.

your right, it seems to recognize the difference between a 16:9 video and a 4:3 video, but it still places its own black bars for the 16:9 video, whether xbmc is set to 16:9 mode or 4:3 mode.

xbmc is seeing that i have it set in the 16:9 mode as i can choose it in the general settings. its just not actually using that knowledge apparently.
maybe xbmc is not calibrated prolly? you have to calibrate xbmc for every resolution. start the movie and check the calibration in the settings. (dunno if this is the problem, but who knows)
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
nope, its not calibration...

use mplayer on linux, and use the -aspect command and set it to 1:1
play an anamorphic encoding.
let it de-anamorphic it by not using the -aspect command. you will see what the difference is in playback that i'm seeing on my tv.
its very obvious when anamorphic is being stretched.
ok, we need to get some things clear:

1. what resolution are you running xbmc in? this can be found under the general settings menu.

2. you need to have "choose best resolution" enabled in xbmc, and widescreen enabled under the ms dash.

3. play a video that you think should be played in 16:9 mode. press the start button, and note what resolution it is using. switch your tv to 16:9 mode if it is not already.

4. now play a video that should be played in 4:3 mode. press the start button and note what resolution it is using. switch your tv to 4:3 mode if it is not already.

thanks,
jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Don't assume my TV doesn't have anamorphic0