• 15(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
MrDVD Wrote:With fixed modlines inside the xorg.conf it didnt work ?

You should add it under the section screen:

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "1920x1080_60 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Option     "DynamicTwinView" "false"
        Modes      "1920x1080_60"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
sparkyhall Wrote:@erhnam that's because there is no edid information to read so X does not now what resolutions your TV can support so it plays safe and sets it to 640x480. The way I solved this was to save a copy of the edid info as a file in xbmc home directory and then I use the file instead by adding the following option to xorg.conf.

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/home/xbmc/youredid.bin"

I saved a copy of my edid running the nvidia-settings app while logged in via ssh.

I don't have Gnome or something else installed (only xbmc live). Do you know to dump a copy of the edid file by command line?
erhnam Wrote:I don't have Gnome or something else installed (only xbmc live). Do you know to dump a copy of the edid file by command line?

This should be the trick:

Code:
nvidia-xconfig --extract-edids-from-file=/var/log/Xorg.0.log --extract-edids-output-file=/etc/X11/tv-edid.bin

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Nvidia-cards_...ore_the_TV

I assume this is correct?

Code:
(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ nvidia-xconfig -extract-edids-from-file=xlog.txt -extract-edids-output-file=tv-edid.bin

Found 1 EDID in "xlog.txt".
  Wrote EDID for "ONK TX-SR507 (DFP-1)" to "tv-edid.bin" (256 bytes).

(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$
That looks like it should do it.

I too am running XBMClive but I installed nvidia-settings and then run it from another Linux box using X-forwarding via ssh. I had to run nvidia-settings from the terminal using "nvidia-settings -c :0.0" to force it to use the info from my TV rather than my Linux box display.
Hi,
I am new to linux and stuff. And I tried the guide, but with no luck.
Maby one of you guys can make an working distro to the REVO?
With nvidia drivers/plugins/addons/ssh etc...

regards
There is a new bios v2 out (R01.A2L). Anyone can tell me what's new or what you have experienced so far?

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/...SC=EMEA_27
erhnam Wrote:There is a new bios v2 out (R01.A2L). Anyone can tell me what's new or what you have experienced so far?

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/...SC=EMEA_27

Thats for the linux machine

if you have the windows one then CLICK HERE should be the windows version R01.A2

Code:
BIOS Acer BIOS for Linux & FreeDOS R01.A2L 1.2 MB 2009/08/03
BIOS Acer BIOS R01.A2 1.4 MB 2009/07/30
Hello! I´m running XBMC under Ubuntu 9.04 and are having problems with the HDMI audio on my REVO.

I often lose the audio when I pause or stop a movie. I then have to power off (reboot won´t do) and boot the machine again to get the audio back. Anybody else had this problem ?

I´m also having jerky movement on many 1080 h264 encoded movies.

This problem has been since Ive got the machine.

This what is currently running;

$ uname -a -r
Linux tremolo 2.6.28-14-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Sat Jul 25 00:28:35 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.

I´m currently running the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.31 driver (I have tested all the previous ones including the betas and there is no difference).

Oh, and I have not upgraded the BIOS.
sparkyhall Wrote:@erhnam that's because there is no edid information to read so X does not now what resolutions your TV can support so it plays safe and sets it to 640x480. The way I solved this was to save a copy of the edid info as a file in xbmc home directory and then I use the file instead by adding the following option to xorg.conf.

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/home/xbmc/youredid.bin"

I saved a copy of my edid running the nvidia-settings app while logged in via ssh.

This is very interesting, becuase I too have an issue with my amp / tv compination that when running in a full resolution 1360x768, i get the screen in green. In windows I fix this by forcing the resolution down to 720p and it works perfectly. Since the display is automatically found as max res 1360x768, I cannot change it do 720p. If i do this in xbmc it simply does it by scaling not actually changing the resolution output.

I need to force the output to 720p, but I cannot dump my TV bin file since its actually 1366x768. Any ideas.... :S
How does the Revo 230 handle xvid/divx encoded files? on Linux? on Windows 7? I am replacing an old xbox but only have $200 in the budget.
coalfield Wrote:This is very interesting, becuase I too have an issue with my amp / tv compination that when running in a full resolution 1360x768, i get the screen in green. In windows I fix this by forcing the resolution down to 720p and it works perfectly. Since the display is automatically found as max res 1360x768, I cannot change it do 720p. If i do this in xbmc it simply does it by scaling not actually changing the resolution output.

I need to force the output to 720p, but I cannot dump my TV bin file since its actually 1366x768. Any ideas.... :S

You can change X resolution with 'xrandr' to list available resolutions, then 'xrandr -s <RES>' when you have picked a <RES> from the list.

I have found that the Revo cannot output 1360x768 over HDMI (and that my Sony Bravia doesn't like receiving other resolutions). I'm using the VGA-out, and running at 1280x768.

rebaker501 Wrote:How does the Revo 230 handle xvid/divx encoded files? on Linux? on Windows 7? I am replacing an old xbox but only have $200 in the budget.
Perfectly. I am using Ubuntu 8.10 on the 1GB model.
I am running the exact same build as this installation (page 1) on my Revo, but I can't seem to be able to add TV shows... Well.. it is extremely hit or miss. I have a folder full of .AVI's (fully loaded into XBMC) but then delete them and swap it for a folder full of .MKV's with the exact same naming convention and all of a sudden XBMC can't seem find them. The folder names and file names are identical - the only difference is that they are .MKV's instead of .AVI's...

Does anyone else have this problem with TV shows on this build of XBMC? (Movies seem to be loading fine, it's just TV shows)
Thanks!
I running the Revo as well without that issue so I can't help but you'll probably get a better response from a new thread - I only looked because I was bored. Smile
Hi all! At the moment I am using my desktop pc with windows7, Dharma RC2 and it plays flawless with dvxa2 on. I would like to have a computer just dedicated to my HDTV for playing the media content so I can still surf the net on my pc Smile

Been thinking of buying a Revo. I am just confused if I run live do I need a OS in the hard drive or not?

Also the external Hard drive im using would love to share it between both computers so does that mean I need to have win 7 on both?

Thank you for this wonderful program.
Beer40oz Wrote:Been thinking of buying a Revo. I am just confused if I run live do I need a OS in the hard drive or not?

Also the external Hard drive im using would love to share it between both computers so does that mean I need to have win 7 on both?

Thank you for this wonderful program.

Although you can run live from a USB stick, I think you'd be much better off installing XBMC live to the actual hard drive. In addition, I think there are some things that you actually can't do while running it straight from the USB, although I can't name specifics.

Regarding sharing the external hard drive, there are two ways to do this. One way would be to keep it plugged into the Windows 7 box, then do the standard folder sharing through Windows 7. On the other hand, my girlfriend has a very similar setup at her place and she keeps her hard drive hooked into the Revo and shares it through XBMC, thereby making it available to her Win7 machine on the network. See the following thread for more details on how to do this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85022
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2