High Pitch Whine from Speakers
Hi, I'm trying very hard to install XBMC Live on a laptop but i fear that my lack of Linux experience is getting the better of me.

The Laptop i use is Acer Travelmate 2310

I started with an XBMC (Live-9.04.1) cd with which i was unable to install or run any of the menus due to a 'IO-APIC + timer dosen't work' error. After reading through the forums I managed to add 'noapic' to the boot sequence and managed to install. When starting up the install though, as soon as hardware acceleration started loading, a high pitched noise comes from the speakers that i cant get rid of. (this cd has been tested on a dell inspiron 6400 and worked fine)

Now i've tried with the newer xbmc (live-9.11-a2) cd and managed to see the actual xbmc gui, but as soon as it started, this whine came again. I also tried to install (with noapic) and then the whine starts almost immediately.

In all cases the whine is so deafening that i end up pulling the plug and battery out of the laptop to stop it.

I would really like to know what i can do, it is the first time that i see a Linux 'grub' menu and therefore I have no idea what other options i may have.

Any further info that might be required i'll eagerly provide when asked for.

Thanks,
Niels
Hi

Sounds like you need to remove the setAlsaVolumes from grub.cfg. Reboot the machine and push escape when promted then select safe mode. Log in at the promt. Type alsamixer, after it opens select the mic and push m on it to mute it. Mute everything else you wont be using as well hopefully that will get rid of the whine, then hit escape.

Type

sudo nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

scroll down to the xbmc live menu line and delete setAlsaVolumes from it. Then hit ctrl+o then enter to save then ctrl+x to exit. reboot

sudo reboot

cheers.
had same thing - mic need to be muted just like harryzimm said Smile
Sad 
....what if there is "no" grub.cfg?

HelpHuhHuh

___LEO___
I have the same problem and I couldn't find grub.cfg, either...

Could somebody help us?

jremoh
Hi,

The file was changed in ubuntu, its now found in /etc/default/grub

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High Pitch Whine from Speakers0