• 4(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
Steve_McQueen Wrote:Now that would be really sad. That would mean you'll have to walk over to the computer or use some long stick. A receiver would do. Wink
We are getting closer but I'm yet to be convinced on the designs so far for ION (this one is way better then Revo). Hopefully one of the 40+ versions has a gorgeous htpc design. Big Grin

It should be better - It is twice the price.

If the GPU does all the work - why do you want atom 330?
If you are using XBMC surely like me all your content is on a NAS?

Seems like the revo at £150 is superb.. if it does 1080p respectably.
Where did you get that info that it will be twice the price ?

Ps, CPU is used alot more than GPU so it is always good idea to have faster cpu ..
Big Grin 
needmorstuff Wrote:It should be better - It is twice the price.

Personally I think the optical drive would be nice to have for the future when XBMC gets the ability to rip DVDs directly from inside XBMC, but for now it will be convenient for DVD playback. Additionally the additional size makes it easier for you to modify internal components such as hard drive, memory, etc. as for the reason I want a dual core atom over the regular single core is because it will perform better with demanding skins like aeon.

Personally I would take this over the REVO but I hope the addition of fans doesn’t make it auditable.
needmorstuff Wrote:It should be better - It is twice the price.

When I mean better I actually just meant the case-design. I Think the Revo has a very cheap-toy look, that doesn't fit a HI-FI setup.
I'm not sure the rock looks much better! (infact i'd go so far as to say that it looks like a really shit $25 PC case)
motd2k Wrote:I'm not sure the rock looks much better! (infact i'd go so far as to say that it looks like a really shit $25 PC case)
It does indeed, witch says more about my distaste for the Revo design then the asrock. One would hope at least one out of the forty expected versions is well designed, but given the same ratio on standard PC cases I fear we might not.
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=53#ION-...009-bundle
This looks good (not the case itself) but its lacking a remote control.

Or

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=52#9300-ITX
If you want something with a little more power

BTW even with the 330's flash video is still unplayable.
I also prefer the Revo case (or the bundle above) to Asrock's mainly because I can hide it behind the tv really easily.

Anyone know if the Revo controller is BT or IR? Nevermind (im stupid), it's Bluetooth.
CrashX Wrote:Where did you get that info that it will be twice the price ?

Ps, CPU is used alot more than GPU so it is always good idea to have faster cpu ..

google...

base revo £150
base asrock £300

I was under the impression that with the vdp thing enabled the cpu utilisation was very low as it harensses the power of the GPU (could be wrong)

Faster isn't always better.. if there is a recognised platform that the developers work to that can do the job and is cheap then I say - yes! if 1080p can be decoded with a revo then why have a quad core xeon with 8gb of ram (to use a silly example)
Lightbulb 
TREX6662k5 Wrote:BTW even with the 330's flash video is still unplayable.
I also prefer the Revo case (or the bundle above) to Asrock's mainly because I can hide it behind the tv really easily.
i am not sure what you mean by this. my brother has an Asus eeepc netbook with a single core atom and he is a frequent user of youtube and i have not heard any complaints from him. however if by flash video you meam high resolution then perhaps this is true. basically i would just like some more data on what you mean by "flash video is unplayable"

Slice
I mean both SD & HD resolutions.
eg, 480 to 1080
Anyone tried the Revo? I have the Revo at home installed with XBMC 9.04 Live.

The only thing that doesn't work is audio over HDMI. Anyone over here have a revo combined with XBMC Live with audio over hdmi working?
Dont have hdmi tested with the XBMC Live but under xubuntu with an XBMC from svn and there it works via hdmi. All you have to change is System - Audio Hardware from default to hdmi.
Thanks I'll try this later today.

I tried several 1080p video's and they do not all play well.

For example this 1080p version of Big Buck Bunny doesn't have any problems on 1080p:
http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bi...p_h264.mov

While this version of the Matrix (MKV) stutters:
The.Matrix.1.1999.1080p.Bluray.DTS.VC1.Remux-SHiTSoNy

Maybe it's related to it's big size (14Gb) but with 30% CPU utilization it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone has a clue?
Maybe it's the storage the bottleneck... have you tried from an other media or from network ?
or increasing you buffer size in favorite video player ?
eldebil Wrote:Maybe it's the storage the bottleneck... have you tried from an other media or from network ?
or increasing you buffer size in favorite video player ?

XBMC Live uses the default DVDPlayer. Is there a way to increase the buffer or is it configured with a default, static buffer size?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2