[MAC] Analog 5.1 and Dolby Digital Surround audio output?
Question 
Could anyone verify whether 9.04 on AppleTV has support for outputting both analog and Dolby Digital audio output at the same time ?

Currently, when choosing the audio setting for DolbyDigital audio output when playing DVD ISOs, the audio output through the analog output is static/hiss.

For those of us whom have a center channel connected via the analog output (RCA jacks), this basically makes it impossible to watch a movie...
I have no idea why you would attach a centre speaker in this fashion, its not getting centre channel information?

(Unless I have misunderstood your question)
shetaan819 Wrote:Could anyone verify whether 9.04 on AppleTV has support for outputting both analog and Dolby Digital audio output at the same time ?

Currently, when choosing the audio setting for DolbyDigital audio output when playing DVD ISOs, the audio output through the analog output is static/hiss.

For those of us whom have a center channel connected via the analog output (RCA jacks), this basically makes it impossible to watch a movie...

Check what jmarshall says in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49329&page=2

If you have a Yamaha or Sony receiver you may be affected by this.
okay, so the 'center channel' is actually my TV speaker which is connected to the AppleTV RCA audio jacks (red/white) in the back....so I just want to know if you have the red/white jacks (analog) connected at the same time as your optical jack, what sound do you receive out of the analog jacks when audio is set to DolbyDigital ? (static/hiss or the regular audio ?)
If you have XBMC set up to output 5.1 Encoded audio (AC3/DTS in Audio Hardware Settings) then it will do just that. The AppleTV only has one audio device, despite the number of outputs on the back. While it may be possible to send both normal (PCM) audio and encoded via two different streams, the practicality of this is questionable, and there is NO documentation available about how it would be accomplished.

Long story short, if you have XBMC set to send encoded, digital data, it will do just that. The optical input on your receiver will receive and decode the signal and send it to the appropriate speaker. The RCA jacks will send the same data, which will sound like static. There is no way for XBMC to divine which output jack you want to be using at any given time. Be sure to update the audio hardware configuration to reflect your current setup.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Analog 5.1 and Dolby Digital Surround audio output?0