Highjack MediaStreams episode view
Question 
I've used the MediaStream skin up till now, as I thought it was the ultimate skin for an HTPC... Trying Aeon, I was proven wrong!

The MultiPlex view is awesome! And the flags were the only thing missing from XBMC to make it the ultimate HTPC! Incredible!
That being said, Aeons TV view kinda falls flat IMO - this is where MediaStream got it excactly right!

A few screenshots to illustrate (really low res which kinda messes up the layout, but in it's native res, it's perfect!)

MediaStream TV view:

Show:

Choose and you get seasons:
Notice the season art! Wonderful!

And finally all the eps:
Apart from being unable to hide the rating for unwatched items, this view is perfect (for me atleast)!

Now for Aeon:

Show:
This could work, as long as the show art actually fits the area it's supposed to be in - we're waiting for TheTVDB.com on that one afaik (I like the whole automated scrape-thing). I prefer using the banner art, as it seperates the TV from the Movie view...

Choose and you get seasons:
Again, this could work as long as the art fits the area. It clearly states the season number you're about to choose, so that works as intended - I just don't like the side-scrolling when in TV view.

Now for the episodes:
Now this is where the Aeon TV view becomes useless for me; when scrolling through the various eps, the only way of telling what's next on the list is by a screenshot - it's impossible to identify an epsiode by a single screenshot only! So the only way of telling, what you're about to watch is by reading it. Yeah, this is kinda stating the obvious and when a complete season is browsed like in my example, telling what the next episode in line will be is not all that hard to figure out. But say a dir with a bunch of random epsiodes are listed, it's a really inaffective way of browsing, whereas MediaStream just does a list!

I may have over-illustrated this, but it was the easiest way of getting my oppinion out there!
If just copying the MediaStreams TV view is too unoriginal, taking some inspiration from it is not a bad thing... !
Edit: Sorry, I was confused. The feature I was looking for is already implemented. I think it looks fine as is.
I like the way it is, but I'm a HUGE fan of the 16x9 art. I could see why you might want it like that, but I LOVE the text overlays.

--FF
Fair enough, but it's still not the best way of doing it, but that's just my oppinion...
I may be the only one who feels there's a better way, but it doesn't hurt to express it, right? Wink

EDIT: This was a reaction to the first reply :p
Yeah it's implemented. I took that screenshot myself. You can pull the latest version from GIT.

Also djh_ use to have this awesome way the thumbs scrolled called panel browser style. It was one of my favorite features of MultiPlex modes, but the masses voted it away for Wrap mode. To me the panel browser style was more intuitive and helped people like my Wife understand the proper order of the episodes.
Oh totally, I am in no way saying anyone Is wrong, i'm just voicing my opinion Smile

--FF

(Hmmm or am I really saying "I am in a way, saying everyone is right"?)
I just wish that Episode view would say the name of the Show somewhere. It's kinda bugging me as I think it's against the UI "rules" to not show the name.

Let's say somebody in the family is watching some TV shows and walks away and it's in this view when somebody else walks up. If they can't tell by looking at the art (i.e. no names on it or just don't recognize it) they have to click back a set to see where they are at.

Counterintuitive if you ask me and why can't the name of the show stay/show up in the top right?

My 2¢
tuckbodi Wrote:I just wish that Episode view would say the name of the Show somewhere. It's kinda bugging me as I think it's against the UI "rules" to not show the name.

Let's say somebody in the family is watching some TV shows and walks away and it's in this view when somebody else walks up. If they can't tell by looking at the art (i.e. no names on it or just don't recognize it) they have to click back a set to see where they are at.

Counterintuitive if you ask me and why can't the name of the show stay/show up in the top right?

My 2¢

A good point! I've just never given it a thought :p

I'm really a sucker for the art you get when browsing seasons in MediaStream, and the episode list you get when browsing a season is as intuitive as can be!

Plus, thetvdb has all the art in the right ress already so if the setup was done in Aeon, everything would align perfectly after that - no need for new fanart, as there is atm!
tuckbodi Wrote:I just wish that Episode view would say the name of the Show somewhere. It's kinda bugging me as I think it's against the UI "rules" to not show the name.

My 2¢

I had the same idea, so I did a quick mod on the multiplex view (just for season and episode)... it just works. I also used a slightly smaller font, for taking care of series or episodes with long names... Almost nobody seemed to care for this feature, but if you like it, then I can send you the modded xml files.

kdm1980, nice!

Hey, there's someone out there who agrees with me!
http://mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Demo_Theme - they've copied MediaStreams TV view for, umm, the video manager (I have no experince with MythTV, but I'll get there at some point), and one of Aeons movie views for the video browser Big Grin
ohh boy .. another copying fiasco in the making ?
PiNCH Wrote:Image

Ah yes, thanks for THIS screenshot, as it illustrates my next "problem" with aeon:

i really prefer using poster artwork instead of banner artwork for my tv-shows - and i've already added over 200+ tvshows to database with poster artwork.

now they all get cropped in aeon.

any chance to get poster view instead of banner view on this?
cheers,azido :;):
save your posters as folder.jpg and use Wall view to view your tv shows as posters. Leave .tbn files for tv library
The Transforminators HD Movie Trailer
- from the creators of Terminator and Transformers -
You can always stick to List, Wall or Showcase but good point about adding the episode name next to the season/episode number.

EDIT: Sorry the names do appear.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Highjack MediaStreams episode view0