Replacement for Normal/Stretch/Zoom
hi,
i just compiled the latest cvs (atleast the one with - 04-08-2004 fixed: new textures.xpr as the last added feature) and have noticed some various changes.

since the start button no longer does it's normal/stretch/zoom thing, would it be possible to incorporate some other stretch settings into the osd? (it's cumbersome changing the pixel ratio in the osd to stretch to fullscreen, atleast, it's not as easy as it could be).

what i have in mind is a scroll box like seen in the settings menus to stretch to a certain aspect ratio. the extent of my coding ability is if statements in pascal so i'm not much help, however the theory behind it is as follows: (note: zoom player on pc does it like this i think) (note2: ph = pixel height pw = pixel width, as configured in the settings)
in the case of the tv being set as 4:3...
stretch to 4:3 - (100% * ph) + (100% * pw) (video is stretched to completley fill up the screen)
stretch to 16:9 - (75% * ph) + (100% * pw) (video is stretched to be 16:9)
stretch to 2.35:1 - (57% * ph) + (100% * pw) (video is stretch to be 2.35:1 (movies like star wars))

good idea?

thanks
morien
the problem with this is that very few movies (except for dvds, vcds and svcds) actually have one of the above pixel ratios. thus, the feature is limited.

please identify the precise issue you have with indications as to what type of media you are using.

thanks,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hmmm. i had a feeling that might be the case.
my problem isn't with any particular media (but if you want an example then xvid), but it's just that some media i have (downloaded or encoded by myself (pre-knowledge)) has a bad ar (eg. i had someone encode me law & order a while ago, but they encoded it wider than it should have been).
before i'd just be able to use stretch for the material that was meant to be 4:3.

before i had an xbox i'd plug my pc into my tv and use the aspect ratio switching on zoom player (which has source, derived, 4:3, 16:9, anamorphic, custom which i'd make 2.35:1 and fit to window) which worked really well. i was hoping perhaps something similar could be incorporated into xbmc and accessed via the osd.
what i was thinking was that by default it's source, then up goes to -> 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1 then back to source (perhaps some more of the common ar's also) and down goes in the reverse.
i would dummy up an image to show what it might look like, but i don't have anywhere to upload it, so, something like this in the video menu.

ar preset: source /\ \/

(same style as the skin switching for instance in the settings)
you can still keep what's there, what's there is good, i can't speak for others, but adding this would be beneficial to me.

thanks a lot
morien
will have a think about how this would be handled in the code (which is now very simple due to the removal of the old zoom/stretch code...)

i guess this would be a kind of override of the pixel/zoom options. perhaps what it could do is calculate the desired pixel ratio and automatically set it.

eg. if the movie is 16:9 and the user wants it stretched to 4:3 then it should set the pixel ratio to 0.75:1 and zoom to 1.0

basically i think all it would need to do is override the pixel ratio value.

the problem is, though, that the value it would need to set would change on a per-video basis.

just thinking out loud...
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

hehe.
well, thanks for the thought. i appreciate it.

morien
i guess many people would like this feature including me, thank you jmarshall. but some movies have an even stranger aspect ratio like some tv-series 1.78:1(smallville) or some movies that have an aspect ratio of 2.40:1(minority report) to name a few...
so besides adding the standard aspect ratios (4:3, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1) also adding a custom setting would be great where you can define the more rare aspect ratios; like in bsplayer for example.

greetzzzz
imho xbmp as when it was nuked, had this perfect....

a stretch option, wich.... stretches the pictures to your screen

a zoom option, wich keeps the original a/r, but fills the black in your screen

and then a separate change a/r option (wich allows you to stretch a 2.40:1 movie to 16x9 or whatever other stretch you prefer)

xbmp also had a crop option (allowing you to crop any amount of image from up down left right). usefull once in a while, like when a movie has like a line of fucked pixels on the top, or when theres forced black bars on a 16:9 movie
stretch: imo useless (just encode your movies correctly!Wink.
zoom: as xbmp/xbmc used to have it, only one setting -> useless.
separate a/r option: not a feature of xbmp (could only specify anamorphic, which xbmc picks up automatically)
crop option: true, not a feature of xbmc, but shouldn't be needed. just encode your movies correctly!

i am happy to reincorporate a stretch setting (which will allow you to stretch to 4:3, 16:9, 21:9, and maybe a few more settings). the current settings allow you to set any pixel ratio between 0.5:1 and 2:1 so that should handle the custom ones.

i would like suggestions as to what the new stretch setting should be like. i'd prefer it to be selectable from the osd only, but am welcome for suggestions.

cheers,
jonathan

great, i would allready be very grateful if this gets implemented. only from the osd is good for me. maybe some people would get this rather by using the "start" button, dunno. thx for coding this.

one thing you have to consider are the subs (not sure though); when you use the feature "zoom amount" the subs get bigger... not really a problem cause if you just restart the movie the subs are back to their normal size. now if you implement this feature and you stretch a movie (that's for example encoded in 2.35:1 but really is 1.85:1) to 16:9, you have to make sure that the subs also don't get stretched. just a thought and i'm sure you know what you're doing.
yeah, i haven't played with the subs code yet. it gets resized in a bit of a funny manner.

once i've got the video resize system working for most people, i'll look at the subs situation.

cheers,
jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replacement for Normal/Stretch/Zoom0