Backdrops as JPG or BMP - Does it matter?
On the Aeon site it says you need to convert your backdrops to BMP format for better performance.

I just tried this on one of my fanart collections but it didn't seem to make any difference when actually using Aeon.When a backdrop cycles there's a tiny pause in the RSS scroll regardless of which image format I use.

Was that suggestion only really necessary when actually using XBMC/Aeon on an xbox? I'm using a Macbook/MacMini with latest XBMC and Aeon Auriga.

Cheers!

Justin
JPG is a compressed format so for larger images like 1080p (1920x1080) decompression of these images may take some time.
BMP for the most part is an uncompressed format, with no little/compression display of these images is quicker than JPG.
Unless you have a really low end system the difference, while existent, is probably not noticeable to you as a user. It most likely ranges in the milliseconds.

On the other hand a fully uncompressed format such as TIFF (yes I know it supports compression but it's not required) would be optimal under perfect conditions, doesn't really mean you need to use it however.
Soul Wrote:On the Aeon site it says you need to convert your backdrops to BMP format for better performance.

I just tried this on one of my fanart collections but it didn't seem to make any difference when actually using Aeon.When a backdrop cycles there's a tiny pause in the RSS scroll regardless of which image format I use.

Was that suggestion only really necessary when actually using XBMC/Aeon on an xbox? I'm using a Macbook/MacMini with latest XBMC and Aeon Auriga.

Cheers!

Justin

I'm not sure what significant difference it makes, but can only assume it's some issue with decompression time.... so for a JPG, it will take a few moments to decompress...

However, there are a number of BMP types, and BMP's themselves can be compressed (non lossy) using RLE compression. This is purely a guess, BUT, try saving your BMPs as uncompressed, and possibly as 8 bit, or 16 bit (working on the assumption they might be quicker to load than 24 bit, and no obvious visual difference for usage as a backdrop (although 8 bit might be noticeable with smooth shades)
Lol at BMP for having tiers of colour level, I don't really use the format so I'd forgotten this.
I can't for the life of me imagine any reason a 16bit BMP would load any more quickly than a 24bit BMP.
Yeah I figured the recommendation probably related to the time for decompression, but I couldn't see any noticeable difference. I guess this is intended as a recommendation for those with slower machines, but didn't say so.

I've got 1.5gb of jpg backdrops and don't really want to BMP them all. Doesn't look like I need to.

Thanks guys Smile
Soul Wrote:Yeah I figured the recommendation probably related to the time for decompression, but I couldn't see any noticeable difference. I guess this is intended as a recommendation for those with slower machines, but didn't say so.

I've got 1.5gb of jpg backdrops and don't really want to BMP them all. Doesn't look like I need to.

Thanks guys Smile

I'm using JPG without any issues... plus, you have to remember that larger (file size) BMP files will take longer to load from disk... so any gain in decompression time might be lost in file loading time.

DJH did suggest BMP, and I can only assume on his system he noticed a significant speed improvement. I could find none, so didn't bother.
Soul Wrote:I guess this is intended as a recommendation for those with slower machines, but didn't say so.

Not sure if you got this from the FAQ, but I will add a note about this. Originally this suggestion came from djh (and I blindly followed it without testing...)
I wouldn't use this for my regular fanart images (for each individual video), but this could come in handy when scrolling through the homescreen, which can occasionally lag even even on my Intel Core2Quad.
Arkon11 Wrote:I wouldn't use this for my regular fanart images (for each individual video), but this could come in handy when scrolling through the homescreen, which can occasionally lag even even on my Intel Core2Quad.

Yep, that is how I do mine as well (bitmaps for homescreen backdrops, jpg's for library fanart)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backdrops as JPG or BMP - Does it matter?0