• 8(current)
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?
As Montellese said, a prioritised list of requirements should be the first place to start, over and above feature lists. There are some tremendous ideas flying around at the moment, but the key thing at this stage (before even deciding on language or platform) should be to decide very clearly exactly what this software is for, and what the most important aspects of its functionality should be. The requirements themselves should dictate the architecture that follows.

Personally, I'm in the same camp as Gamester - I like the idea of something that can run as a service on a server/NAS, or as a straightforward app like MC/MIP on a desktop, that would give you total, close-up control over your media library.
@Bram77

I'm just not shure about the "part of the XBMC package" part -----

I'm a member of the UMM crew and in the discussions I read c++ was excluded very quickly.
I totally agree to the rest of what you said, but I doubt it will become a part of the XBMC Package but might evolve into a "half official" add-on
As soon as Gamester has granted me the right permissions for the private forum I'll be able to read that to Smile

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Bram77 Wrote:
Gamester17 Wrote:You should already have access Wink

Quote:Bram77, you do not have permission to access this page.
hmm, you have the same user right as the others who said that they want to join this project, ...can you try to logout and then login again, or maybe try a other web browser then you use now. Let me know how it goes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
That didn't help unfortunately.

Edit: Tested with Firefox and Konqueror, no-go

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Bram77 Wrote:That didn't help unfortunately.
Try now, if it does not work now then I have no clue why Confused
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Thanks, it's working now!

If the goal is to build a manager that is able to directly access and modify the XBMC database I would like to contribute. This missing feature is the main reason why I prefer Meedio at the moment.
I'm in!

I do hope we can make a nice, clean GUI for this as well Smile

Finally, joined forces...
Great, are you guys programmers/developers? Skills and interest areas? Huh

@mediacoder, right now that is only a secondary goal/milestone, their first goal/milestone here is to make a standalone cross-platform media manager with its own SQL databases, it will however have export capabilities to generate NFO/XML files that can be imported by XBMC (and other media center software like Meedio/MeediOS and MediaPortal), ...and since XBMC and others already have export and import capabilities too this would work both ways, ...and later once the first goal/milestone has been reached and someone volunteer to code the function should be possible to add the ability to connect to a a specific media centers own database directly to edit/modify it on-the-fly instead of using the internal databases in the "Unified Media Manager" software.

Nothing is impossible with software, someone will the time, skill, and interest just got to step and code it Wink
Gamester... give me access to the forum when you get a chance. I don't have much time to assist right now, but I'd be happy to try offering advice/assistance where necessary.

I think I can also provide insight as to what my site's new database and API will look like a few months from now, since it'll provide some additional useful information.

skunkm0nkee Wrote:I'm not sure I really understand the need for a Media Manager, if XBMC was adapted to include screens to edit the library data would that not provide the missing functionality?

As someone who has worked closely with the various HTPC apps, I can provide the answer for this. XBMC works quite differently than Meedio, Media Portal, etc in how it manages its library data. I've posted before that I think Meedio's library got it right, but obviously reworking XBMC's database to match would be a huge undertaking nobody would want to tackle. Nor do I think there's a desire to do so. XBMC is VERY strict about the library contents when compared to these other apps, which I think hurts it in the long run. User-definable fields that can be scraped in are definite pluses. Also, people have been talking about multi-thumbs for XBMC (to handle various formats) for at least 2 years. As each of these things is added into XBMC, it becomes more complex and less likely that a 10 foot interface can handle it properly. As a result, a 2 foot interface is the prime solution.

Another major benefit is that you get developers working from those other apps on a single application, which is excellent. I would say that if it becomes powerful enough with hooks and netcode for remotely running imports, that each HTPC app wouldn't need its own library, but could rather pull from a centralized location like this manager could provide. That would also get around the issue of each XBMC copy needing its own database right now. It's at least something to consider long term.

Just my $0.02 on why it's a good idea. Not 100% necessary, but I think it'd make things easier on a lot of end users.

An unrelated note: everything in TheTVDB will be editable through the API at some point, so pushing back information to the site should be relatively easy. Smile Hopefully the other sites can do similar.

I'd also recommend posting on the Meedio and MP forums if you haven't done so already. I think including their devs from the start would make it more likley to catch on with them in the long term. It'd also tend to force the app to be more non-specific, which future apps can benefit from as well. There's a user called GameGod (or similar) on the Meedio forums that had a decent games database as well... he'd be a good one to invite for those purposes.

Also emigrating from myTV (http://mytv.senseitweb.com - an MCE app). He's probably going to be key in incorporating some of the TV data since he's both a developer on my site and a HTPC app developer. He's a bit spiff-like at times. Wink
Not sure what I can offer as far as the programming side of things, but I'd be happy to help with testing/suggestions/etc. Wink
szsori Wrote:Gamester... give me access to the forum when you get a chance. I don't have much time to assist right now, but I'd be happy to try offering advice/assistance where necessary.
Great! Big Grin ...you should now have access http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=107

szsori Wrote:Also emigrating from myTV (http://mytv.senseitweb.com - an MCE app). He's probably going to be key in incorporating some of the TV data since he's both a developer on my site and a HTPC app developer. He's a bit spiff-like at times. Wink
If you know him and have contact with him on a regular basis could you please point him this way? Huh

I have posted in both the MediaPortal and the MeediOS forum pointing to this project, so lets just home some developers from those communities step up Rolleyes
At risk to sound one from the stone age but Eclipse RCP how does it sound to you?
szsori Wrote:Also emigrating from myTV (http://mytv.senseitweb.com - an MCE app). He's probably going to be key in incorporating some of the TV data since he's both a developer on my site and a HTPC app developer. He's a bit spiff-like at times. Wink

Hmm, what exactly are you trying to say? I'm always chilled ;D

Gamester17 Wrote:If you know him and have contact with him on a regular basis could you please point him this way? Huh

I is here Smile

Since it seems the discussion has moved into the private forum, please give me access and I'll contribute there instead of rehashing in this thread.

If nothing else (and I am, from what I've read so far, in two minds about this project) I can atleast help out with TheTVDB interaction and getting custom API calls sorted out should they be necessary.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?3