• 15(current)
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?
fekker Wrote:I do understand what ya mean, it's a good idea, just curious on dialogs and command line apps.
I understand where you're coming from. Let me clarify.

I'm looking for something between "Fully automated scripting that sometimes gets things wrong" and "Fully interactive program like the various media managers currently available".
I really agree with all this. I mean, in this subforum, there are so many of everything - each lacking something. Everyone should pull together, build something big, bugless, and beautiful! Smile

One that has caught my eye recently is Ember Media Manager, it has the most elegant and intuitive GUI I've seen thus far on a 'Supplement Tool'.

I think you aught to contact nul7 regarding this too as the Ember project is the most developed and most supported out of them all, although it doesn't support TV Shows as of yet. I think it could support them in a flash, its just the developers and holding back and want the Movies side of things to be 100% bug-free before implementing anything else.

If you need any support, holla!

Kieron
Kieron Wrote:I really agree with all this. I mean, in this subforum, there are so many of everything - each lacking something. Everyone should pull together, build something big, bugless, and beautiful! Smile

One that has caught my eye recently is Ember Media Manager, it has the most elegant and intuitive GUI I've seen thus far on a 'Supplement Tool'.

I think you aught to contact nul7 regarding this too as the Ember project is the most developed and most supported out of them all, although it doesn't support TV Shows as of yet. I think it could support them in a flash, its just the developers and holding back and want the Movies side of things to be 100% bug-free before implementing anything else.

If you need any support, holla!

Kieron

We currently have 10 developer's, 2 graphic designers, a hardware engineer, as well as a linux guru for testing. Of the dev team, most of the us have created the media managers that you use today. All of us have supported our applications in the past, but please keep in mind this is for "fun" and not a job in any way. We are always looking for more folks to come onboard, there's plenty of areas that have not been started yet.

UMx is done different then all the current media managers, it's a modular design with more options then you could shake a stick at. I've seen a few of the UI's that are in work, yes there is more then one option, and they are really slick.

I have contacted Nul7 as well, however he is currently working on Ember.
With UMC going to be able to edit the XBMC database directly, can you also make an option to import/export the library to .nfo's, including watched status?
fekker Wrote:I do understand what ya mean, it's a good idea, just curious on dialogs and command line apps.

I was just thinking about this more.

The specific situation I'm thinking about is this:

When I obtain tv shows or whatever, I have scripts that move them to the appropriate directories for organization. Ideally, I'd like to pass these shows to UMC and have it rename them and fetch the appropriate files like folder.jpg and fanart.jpg.

My original thought was having UMC pop up a dialog only when it wasn't sure what the show was. On further thought, I think I'd rather it just be able to return a message saying it didn't know what the show was for sure. I'll then have my scripts fire off an email so that I'll know there was a potential problem.

Now, ideally, the next time I open UMC it will have kept track of the shows/movies/whatever that I had previously passed to it via command-line and then will let me process that list via whatever mechanism it has for dealing with shows it's unsure of.

The point of all this is so that as much as possible is done automatically, and what can't be done automatically does get done, but gets done when I have time, not when my scripts or UMC decides it's time to process shows.
something interesting would be in the range of:
Code:
nas:/movies> umcwatch -t tv -ref 5 /home/username/mytvfolder3
which would : 1.check folder x every five cycles, 2.lookup metadata, 3.move files successfully matched to an appropriate folder in the tvshows directory according to metadata, 4.find artwork and related, 5.fire "update" on registered xbmc instances when done.
6. could optionally mail the user with a listing of unmatched items to request further action.
same thing could be applied to music or movies. the idea behind is that umc should handle the organizing of the stuff according to the type of content set and the metadata found, or leave it in the "unsorted" folder if it fails.
i don't know what's been decided on how umc would handle things but I like the idea that the final storage place be like some type of blackbox where everything's neatly ordered and i never have to go down there to tweak anything.
this supposes either a folder structure standard has been implemented, or i can tell UMC what structure i want for each type of media.
a corrolary command would be like
Code:
nas:/movies>umclist --unsorted --music

on the gui front, a quick nfo editor/generator for home-made videos would be super Smile
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
bidossessi Wrote:something interesting would be in the range of:
Code:
nas:/movies> umcwatch -t tv -ref 5 /home/username/mytvfolder3
which would : 1.check folder x every five cycles, 2.lookup metadata, 3.move files successfully matched to an appropriate folder in the tvshows directory according to metadata, 4.find artwork and related, 5.fire "update" on registered xbmc instances when done.
6. could optionally mail the user with a listing of unmatched items to request further action.
same thing could be applied to music or movies. the idea behind is that umc should handle the organizing of the stuff according to the type of content set and the metadata found, or leave it in the "unsorted" folder if it fails.
i don't know what's been decided on how umc would handle things but I like the idea that the final storage place be like some type of blackbox where everything's neatly ordered and i never have to go down there to tweak anything.
this supposes either a folder structure standard has been implemented, or i can tell UMC what structure i want for each type of media.
a corrolary command would be like
Code:
nas:/movies>umclist --unsorted --music

on the gui front, a quick nfo editor/generator for home-made videos would be super Smile

Personally, I'd prefer to handle all the organization with my own scripts. Having UMC handle the organization limits you to only what UMC provides. For example, say I store TV shows on one server, and Movies on another and UMC only has the option for a root folder to store files in.

In my view, UMC should stick to metadata management and retrieval, and let the user worry about where to store the files.
I am excited for this! Just ventured into linux land when my windows box crashed. On windows I was using Media Companion to tag all movies and tv shows. Guys recommend one to use until this is ready for prime time?
good ideas, instead of posting details on how it'll work, which will change before release, i will say that everything that's been posted is very doable.. more details will come when we are closer.

umX is fully modular, you'll just have to trust me on that one Big Grin
if i were a person looking to DL this program and i had a time machine which month of the year would be a good place to start looking for this program in?
Vampirebat Wrote:if i were a person looking to DL this program and i had a time machine which month of the year would be a good place to start looking for this program in?

Which month of which year? I would probably travel several years into the future and bring that refined release back here to our time to save the developers some time.

my highly uneducated guess is 1-2 months
If your talking about the full finished product, i'll have to hit ya with the standard "when it's done" reply

Some areas are already working, some haven't been started, more information will be coming soon and posted on our team site, when that's ready as well.
REQUEST!!!

I'd like an option to rescrape IMDB rating/votes... It would be a dream to push a button, and have all thousands of movies update both the IMDB rating and the number of votes... because I have some moves that I added when there was only like 97 votes, so the rating is way higher than it should be... and I like to sort by rating when picking a movie to watch...
So two questions, if I start using Media Info Plus now will I be able to switch over to this easy or should i just wait?

Second will there be a way to have it run when i click update library or start xbmc so that I can see my new videos in recent movies or recent tv shows

Thanks
for transitions from mip, yes it'll be pretty straight forward

The basic website and forums are now up at http://www.teamumx.org
feature requests will link over to tracker on source forge, the forums are local to teamumx.org
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?3