[LIVE] HOW-TO mount hard disk drives on XBMC Live 9.04
Thanks Dhoodle !!!

I am a completely Linux ignorant and it worked great!
I'm using XBMC Live from a USB.

I'm set on removing "nodiskmount". I can see the windows files from within XBMC and can add the directories as sources.

I would like to be able to upload files over FTP to the windows directories, but I'm getting errors. I think it may be because I don't have write access to the windows directories? Is there a solution on this front?
i have another question.

i am successfully mounting a 1tb external usb drive at boot (it mounts to /media/sdb1/), but is it possible to have live plug and play a 4gb USB flash drive once it is already powered on and fully booted? or, does the drive have to get mounted during the boot sequence?

i have tried plugging the flash drive into a number of different USB ports after booting but it never auto-mounts. it is brand new and formatted to NTFS. is there something painfully obvious that i am missing?

please let me know if you need to see any logs, config files, etc. thanks!
Quote:i am successfully mounting a 1tb external usb drive at boot (it mounts to /media/sdb1/), but is it possible to have live plug and play a 4gb USB flash drive once it is already powered on and fully booted? or, does the drive have to get mounted during the boot sequence?

Do you run xbmcLive version 9.04 as the thread title implies? I am not aware of any problems in that version. It should mount automatically.

In 9.10 it is more complicated. It should work if you use a clean live installtion but if you install stuff it can easily break.
sorry, i should have been more specific. i am using 9.10, i installed xbmcfreak's live build for the revo. apart from some video-related tinkering i haven't installed anything that wasn't bundled in that package.
Quote:haven't installed anything that wasn't bundled in that package.

Boot from a clean xbmclive 9.11 install and it will most likely work.
vikjon0 Wrote:Boot from a clean xbmclive 9.11 install and it will most likely work.

ok, what's the best way to reinstall with 9.11 while keeping all my important settings (including all the stuff outside of the userdata folder)?
Quote:ok, what's the best way to reinstall with 9.11 while keeping all my important settings (including all the stuff outside of the userdata folder)?

Why not start by booting from a liveCD or USB to verify that it works?
vikjon0 Wrote:Why not start by booting from a liveCD or USB to verify that it works?

excellent call, hadn't even crossed my mind.

assuming that works, i think i'm gonna back up all my downloaded content, then do a clean install but create a new partition for downloaded content. so then in future i can just backup userdata and do a clean install, every time.
Quote:assuming that works, i think i'm gonna back up all my downloaded content, then do a clean install but create a new partition for downloaded content. so then in future i can just backup userdata and do a clean install, every time.

Yes. I also have media locally on the same disk and I have a separate partition I manually mount in fstab.

If you have enough skills to do it with out breaking anything you can shrink and move your existing partition and install a new / next to it.
vikjon0 Wrote:If you have enough skills to do it with out breaking anything you can shrink and move your existing partition and install a new / next to it.

i definitely don't have enough linux skills to do this! haha. my 1tb is nearly full anyways, so i might just go ahead and get a 2tb.

Quote:Why not start by booting from a liveCD or USB to verify that it works?

yeah so i tried this and automount does indeed work, with a lovely little popup message. BUT, for some reason none of my audio was working over HDMI, and i was getting loads of green artefacts on my videos...how peculiar. anyway that's another issue.
Sorry but I don't find syslinux.cfg Coult you told me where is?

sudo nano /HuhHuh/syslinux.cfg
Smile 
l.capriotti Wrote:Due to previous incidents where mounting local drives in special configurations lead to data corruptions, a new token has been introduced in the kernel parameter "xbmc".

By default XBMC Live does not mount fixed fisks any more; ito run the automount script at boot you need to remove the token "nodiskmount" form the kernel command line.

There are two ways to achieve this:

1. for temporary use: use the grub functionalities and edit the kernel line when booting. The change will be limited to the session only.

2. for permanent use: open the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, remove the token and save the file.

Thanks, this work for me.Laugh
I'm also having trouble getting my internal drive to work. I just bought it so it's not formatted. But didn't read it should matter.

Thing is I don't have the /boot/grub/menu.lst or syslinux.cfg files.

I'm using xbmc live 10.0-beta1 r33324

I'd really appreciaty some help on this Smile tnx!
Its changed to /etc/default/grub

You might have to format it before it can mount.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO mount hard disk drives on XBMC Live 9.042