[LIVE] HOW-TO mount hard disk drives on XBMC Live 9.04
harryzimm Wrote:Its changed to /etc/default/grub

You might have to format it before it can mount.

cheers

That's what I thought, but I don't know how to format it. I tried this and this, but "ls hd*" doesn't show anything and I don't have lshw (and I don't know how to install that either) so I don't know which device my HD is. I only know I can see it in the bios.

//edit nvm.. found how to install it Smile
From the first link you posted, start at the "fdisk -l" stage only use "sudo fdisk -l" instead (without the quotes) so you can identify your drive. Then continue with the guide.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:From the first link you posted, start at the "fdisk -l" stage only use "sudo fdisk -l" instead (without the quotes) so you can identify your drive. Then continue with the guide.

cheers

Ok, I have the drive working. Sort of. I followed this guide which lets me see my drive in XBMC. But I cannot copy file from main drive to the new drive. It doesn't give a specific error, it just says it doesn't work. They are both formatted as ext4.
I had my system running just the way I wanted but decided to fiddle with it and now I have had to do a re-install.

I am having a couple of problems.

I have installed beta version of Dharma.

I want to edit the menu.lst so that I can change the names of the OS and also the boot time. When I attempt this by typing sudo pico /boot/grub/menu.lst in terminal, all I get is a blank page. There is nothing in there to edit.

I also want to have my drive from my windows 7 partition visible in XBMC, no luck there either.
Quote:I want to edit the menu.lst so that I can change the names of the OS and also the boot time. When I attempt this by typing sudo pico /boot/grub/menu.lst in terminal, all I get is a blank page. There is nothing in there to edit.

It is now GRUB2 which is different.
@vikjon0 any idea how to do it under GRUB2?
I think you need to update
/etc/default/grub

and then run
sudo update-grub

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Quote:/boot/grub/grub.cfg
This is the main Grub 2 file. It "replaces" Grub Legacy's /boot/grub/menu.lst This file contains the Grub menu information but unlike Grub Legacy's menu.lst file, grub.cfg is not meant to be edited.
grub.cfg is automatcially generated when "update-grub" is executed:

Quote:/etc/default/grub
This file contains information formerly contained in the upper section of Grub Legacy's menu.lst and items contained on the end of the kernel line. The items in this file can be edited by a user with administrator (root) privileges.
Star 
vikjon0 Wrote:I think you need to update
/etc/default/grub

and then run
sudo update-grub

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
Thanks for the info. I'm also using Live Dharma so I found the file under /etc/default/grub as you indicated.

here are the contents of the file that I have:
Quote:# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

# Defaults from XBMC Installation
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb"
GRUB_GFXMODE="800x600"
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="800x600"

What needs to be removed so that my 2 extra drives can be auto mounted?

I see 2 instances of nodiskmount above. Dunno what to do with those, if anything.
One drive is a 2TB NTFS drive and a 1TB EXT4 drive.
Also, is it possible to mount the 2TB drive in a specific location? like /home
You see two...but # means that the line is commented out.
Remove from the the other line...or both, it does not matter.
Quote:# Defaults from XBMC Installation
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb"
GRUB_GFXMODE="800x600"
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="800x600"

Ok, I removed the nodiskmount indicated above and I get the drives to show up in /media when I go to add sources.
The issue is that the drives are named : D8AE6AFAAE6AD094 and E89652139651E31C for the 1Tb and the 2 TB respectively. Anyway to fix that?

And I still would rather mount them in the /Home/XBMC directory.
D8AE6AFAAE6AD094 and E89652139651E31C do not show up in add sources. They show up when I FTp into the XBMC Live box and browse to /media.
What shows up is the Volume name. One was formatted on WIN7 and given a volume name of "STORAGE" and the other one was formatted EXT4 and also given a volume name of "STORAGE".
This debacle was done unintentionally as the EXT4 (1TB drive) was added to my previous Live installation 9 months ago and NTFS (2TB) drive was added to the new Live install Yesterday.

Is there a way to change the Volume name of a Drive in Linux? I know I can pop the 2TB drive back into windows, right click the drive in My Computer and rename it.

So how do I do that from terminal in XBMC Live?
I'm trying to automount my internal hd as well but whenever I type /etc/default/grub into the terminal I get a command not found response. same thing with update-grub.

Any ideas?
You can find a solution for booting XBMC 10.1 from a pendrive using Grub4dos here (automount of harddrives is included):

http://bootsticks.forumprofi.de/thema-an...1-t16.html

The explanation is in german, but the needed code is in english. And this is the only thing you want.

A complete solution for a Multiboot pendrive you will find here:

http://bootsticks.npage.de/welcome_engli...39593.html

I heard next week there will be released a new 0.8.3.0 version completely in english.
Is there any update on this for XBMCbuntu 12 Frodo Beta 3? From what I have gathered, the following steps are necessary (sorry, total Linux nub):

- Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get a command line
- Login as "xbmc" password blank
- Remove "nodiskmount" token from /etc/default/grub using nano: "sudo nano /etc/default/grub"
- Run "sudo update-grub"

Does this kind of correctly reflect what is necessary?

Thanks and Cheers - Don
This was obsolete in eden and I assume also in Frodo.
You need to mount it in fstab

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO mount hard disk drives on XBMC Live 9.042