PPC - How Does It Work?
Hi

I've downloaded "XBMC_for_Mac-ppc-9.04.dmg" and expanded it on my iBook Dual USB running 10.4.11. After dragging XBMC to the desktop I tried double clicking it. Nothing happens. I can't seem to find any installation instructions.

Is there something else I need to do?
The background picture in the dmg suggests dragging XBMC.app into Applications.
Anyone know the hardware requirements and minimum spec for PPC XBMC?

XBMC wiki only mentions PC requirements and Installing MAC version text in wiki is "Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 are supported for Intel and PPC (PowerPC) Macs."

Don't take this is as a moan though, I know how great the XBMC team and software is so I forgive lack of info' in wiki due to the hard work that goes into a great product.

I have a old PPC MAC (ibook, dual USB, 600mhz G3, 384mb RAM, OS X 10.4.11 - ATI RAGE 16mb graphics) - I really didn't expect XBMC to work - and it didn't No - probably due to processor or graphics I expect. I installed (by dragging to Apps folder as per normal MAC install method) - double click XBMC - bit of disk activity and nothing (hence post similar issue as above).

System profiler frameworks says MAC is opengl 1.4.7.

Not too worried as I will never use it on the ibook, but interested to see it working - trusty XBOX with XBMC is fine for me :-)

Cheers anyway

p.s. I have searched forums to no avail
all about the graphics card. of which that one is probably 2-3 generations too old - atleast!
600mhz G3, ouch. I have a 800MHz G4 ibook and that's about the min ppc system I would consider.
davilla Wrote:600mhz G3, ouch. I have a 800MHz G4 ibook and that's about the min ppc system I would consider.

So from that I suppose we can conclude that G3's are out for PPC version of XBMC, or the graphics chipset just makes PPC XBMC fall at the first hurdle?

My 600mhz G3 runs 10.4.11 with no problems and does everything and more than a 'modern' netbook. As for the graphics it can play a divx film full screen (with VLC - but not all divx's ;-) And I can run GL Quake with no probs. And it can rip and play MP3'S - this isn't some MAC that barely works - it's fully functional. Lets face it XBMC in its base form when not playing video media is a nice GUI that produces lists to browse (don't get me wrong I'm not belittling XBMC)

One of the reasons I sought out something like XBMC was always that need and want for a media front end to browse and play MP3's on low spec hardware. A couple of years ago I started using XBMC on my XBOX and have never looked back + I now have all the benefits of playing films/music and Iplayer and all the other wonderful scripts and plugins in a great bit of software.

I always wished I could run it on a old laptop as well (I have a old IBM 380Z 300mhz PII - you thought the MAC was low spec!!) - I have this connected to my hifi and have WIN ME (I know people hate it, but it works) with Media Monkey installed and mapping to music on NAS drive - with a WIFI card that can quite happily stream music and output through a decent amp and speakers.

But what would be really nice would to have a chunky media front end that could be driven by a remote to have a really cheap but very functional streaming solution. Lets face it with expensive products such as the
Squeezebox and Sonos a XBMC lite with a simple interface for MP3 only would be great - perhaps I will post a suggestion in appropriate place - as this isn't the place obviously!

Anyone know how to debug XBMC on MAC so I can give some feedback on why XBMC won't run for me?

Cheers
sipart Wrote:So from that I suppose we can conclude that G3's are out for PPC version of XBMC, or the graphics chipset just makes PPC XBMC fall at the first hurdle?

My 600mhz G3 runs 10.4.11 with no problems and does everything and more than a 'modern' netbook. As for the graphics it can play a divx film full screen (with VLC - but not all divx's ;-) And I can run GL Quake with no probs. And it can rip and play MP3'S - this isn't some MAC that barely works - it's fully functional. Lets face it XBMC in its base form when not playing video media is a nice GUI that produces lists to browse (don't get me wrong I'm not belittling XBMC)

One of the reasons I sought out something like XBMC was always that need and want for a media front end to browse and play MP3's on low spec hardware. A couple of years ago I started using XBMC on my XBOX and have never looked back + I now have all the benefits of playing films/music and Iplayer and all the other wonderful scripts and plugins in a great bit of software.

I always wished I could run it on a old laptop as well (I have a old IBM 380Z 300mhz PII - you thought the MAC was low spec!!) - I have this connected to my hifi and have WIN ME (I know people hate it, but it works) with Media Monkey installed and mapping to music on NAS drive - with a WIFI card that can quite happily stream music and output through a decent amp and speakers.

But what would be really nice would to have a chunky media front end that could be driven by a remote to have a really cheap but very functional streaming solution. Lets face it with expensive products such as the
Squeezebox and Sonos a XBMC lite with a simple interface for MP3 only would be great - perhaps I will post a suggestion in appropriate place - as this isn't the place obviously!

Anyone know how to debug XBMC on MAC so I can give some feedback on why XBMC won't run for me?

Cheers

See this post (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47124), need to start by pastebin'ing the xbmc.log file.
Sipart, post your log file.

600 Mhz G3 is slow, but Xbox is only 733 Mhz.

Your OpenGL 1.4.7 should be good enough, so maybe there is an Altivec issue (needs a G4)?

The log will help.
waldo22 Wrote:Sipart, post your log file.

600 Mhz G3 is slow, but Xbox is only 733 Mhz.

Your OpenGL 1.4.7 should be good enough, so maybe there is an Altivec issue (needs a G4)?

The log will help.

Thanks Davilla (for link to info on MAC XBMC log and crash log location) - sorry for being a noob and not checking the stickys Blush

And Waldo22 - quite agree. But crash log does show the reason - G4 needed as you say (incompatible cpu-subtype).

http://pastebin.com/m501d94ad

Is this a complete no-no on G3's then?

Cheers

P.S. - found the Meedio OS site for use on older PC's/laptops - it's seems to be happy with older laptop in built graphics (ATI rage).
sipart Wrote:Thanks Davilla (for link to info on MAC XBMC log and crash log location) - sorry for being a noob and not checking the stickys Blush

And Waldo22 - quite agree. But crash log does show the reason - G4 needed as you say (incompatible cpu-subtype).

http://pastebin.com/m501d94ad

Is this a complete no-no on G3's then?

Cheers

P.S. - found the Meedio OS site for use on older PC's/laptops - it's seems to be happy with older laptop in built graphics (ATI rage).

No, something else going on. Post the output of;

ls -a /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/

please.
davilla Wrote:No, something else going on. Post the output of;

please.

. libiconv.2.dylib libpng12.0.dylib
.. libintl.8.dylib libreadline.6.dylib
libGLEW.1.5.1.dylib liblzo.1.dylib libsmbclient.dylib
libbz2.1.0.dylib libmad.0.dylib libsqlite3.0.dylib
libcdio.10.dylib libmysqlclient.15.dylib libssl.0.9.8.dylib
libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib libncurses.5.dylib libtalloc.dylib
libexpat.1.dylib libncursesw.5.dylib libtdb.dylib
libfontconfig.1.dylib libogg.0.dylib libvorbis.0.dylib
libfreetype.6.dylib libpanelw.5.dylib libz.1.dylib
libfribidi.0.dylib libpcre.0.dylib

Cheers
sipart Wrote:ls -a /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/

. libiconv.2.dylib libpng12.0.dylib
.. libintl.8.dylib libreadline.6.dylib
libGLEW.1.5.1.dylib liblzo.1.dylib libsmbclient.dylib
libbz2.1.0.dylib libmad.0.dylib libsqlite3.0.dylib
libcdio.10.dylib libmysqlclient.15.dylib libssl.0.9.8.dylib
libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib libncurses.5.dylib libtalloc.dylib
libexpat.1.dylib libncursesw.5.dylib libtdb.dylib
libfontconfig.1.dylib libogg.0.dylib libvorbis.0.dylib
libfreetype.6.dylib libpanelw.5.dylib libz.1.dylib
libfribidi.0.dylib libpcre.0.dylib

Cheers

now a

file /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib
davilla Wrote:now a

file /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib

/Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

otool -h /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib
Mach header
magic cputype cpusubtype caps filetype ncmds sizeofcmds flags
0xfeedface 18 10 0x00 6 10 1084 0x00100085

cpusubtype should be 0.
The problem is that libmad does not have a +universal variant in MacPorts. So it was built for 10.5 only.
I re-installed it after forcing it to build for 10.4 as it is done for samba3.
cpusubtype is set to 0 now.

I have a debug app (r20056) with this new libmad.
sipart, would you like to try it?
Sipart, could you test after replacing the file /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib with the one attached to this ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6536
Let us know how it goes with this new lib.
Thanks.
Beenje Wrote:Sipart, could you test after replacing the file /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libmad.0.dylib with the one attached to this ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6536
Let us know how it goes with this new lib.
Thanks.

I just overwrote old version (no longer shows as a Unix executable - KIND is a document - is this OK?) and get no further but different output in crash log:

http://pastebin.com/m3016298e

Regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PPC - How Does It Work?0