XBMC crashing on Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit when pressing "o" button
Question 
Hi folks,

I have finally set up my Media Center on my new MacMini (got rid of MAC OS immediately) but there are some problems. One of them is:

During playback of movies when pressing the "o" button XBMC crashes Huh back to X (Gnome). The same thing happens when you select the "Audio Settings" with the mouse. The rest seems to work fine.

Here is the full xbmc.og "http://pastebin.com/m2a3f9f6c" and here are the last lines:
21:56:34 T:2148583488 M:403570688 DEBUG: SDLKeyboard: scancode: 32, sym: 111, unicode: 111, modifier: 1000
21:56:34 T:2148583488 M:403570688 DEBUG: OnKey: 61519 pressed, action is 27

My specs are:
- XBMC 9.04 r19954 installed via PPA "http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu"
- Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty 64 bit
- Mac Mini 3.1 (2009 Model)
- 1 GB RAM (will upgrade to 4 GB next week), GeForce 9400 (Linux says 512 MB RAM)
- NVidia 180.51 Driver

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks... Martin
Known issue with 64bit (at least the "o" one). Not sure about mouse issue.

Please search forums or trac.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
So to get this right: in your opinion get rid of 64 bit.... and go for the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 9.04?
I see no benefit of 64bit at this time. If you can't live without the "o" then yes, goto 32bit Smile
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
all right then.... and I thought I was being "innovative" ;-)

I had already read lots of posts about this topic but somehow was still hoping someone would be able to fix this.

Thanks tslayer for the quick reply and keep up the great work all of you are doing on XBMC!!!! And congrats on 9.04 Babylon Nod
this bug is well known, just look at this thread for a so called "workaround" (xbmc devs called it this way, but since then, nobody takes care of us 64bit users *g*)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50234
new system in the house...
pico Wrote:this bug is well known, just look at this thread for a so called "workaround" (xbmc devs called it this way, but since then, nobody takes care of us 64bit users *g*)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50234

thank you pico for the reply.... I also read a lot of threads concerning this problem. It's sad that such a "small" thing keeps 64 bit versions out of the loop. I will probably reinstall a 32 bit version since I am in no position to FIX the problem. ..
why? you will need only a few minutes to fix your problem:

open the thread i give to you, open the trac-thread and then click on the patch...
you will see its only 1 file to fix, and inside this file its only 1 or 2 lines...
no problem with midnight commander...

after that, only make again and make install... finish
pico Wrote:after that, only make again and make install... finish

Hi Pico,

when following your aproch would I have to compile XBMC via SVN myself? At the moment I am using the repository download which ist VERY convenient. Just wondering ;-)
You will just keep running in to more problems. And all of those problem will end with the same response "this is a known issue. I don't even know why there are 64 bit OSs."

(Scripts and plugins don't work either and - unless it's been fixed - trying to go to any network share will crash xbmc as well.)
I'm very happy with XBMC on 64 bit linux, it makes better use of my CPU and I don't have any of these problems described.

Compiling your own xbmc isn't that hard, and applying the patch from the trac ticket makes the 'o' problem go away.

While I understand the reluctance to commit a fudge to the tree, I don't see any reason not to include the patch in packages for 64 bit architectures.

It's in the archlinux one, and it works beautifully.

My 2c
Richy
Django Bespoke Business Software, Sydney Australia
JackieBrown Wrote:(Scripts and plugins don't work either and - unless it's been fixed - trying to go to any network share will crash xbmc as well.)

Mysterious... just browsing some plugin while listening to music sucked in via NFS - on x86_64 of course. Where's the problem? Yes, 64bit is a bit more tricky but the switch to 32bit is not worth a fresh installation.
Yeah, in order to fix you'll have to compile from source. I prefer the PPAs as well and don't deal with the source cause I don't understand it enough to deal with it as a hobby. I've gone to XBMC Live now which is based on ubuntu, and I can install anythings that I need using apt-get just like I would a regular ubuntu installation. It works very well for me even though it's just 32bit. For the time being i'd rather other stuff be fixed and enhanced than focus on fixing those particular crash bugs in 64 bit. I'm sure it must be a very easy fix but 32 bit doesn't exhibit those issues and works great so i'll be using that until they have a 64bit XBMC Live. Big Grin
Haggy Wrote:Mysterious... just browsing some plugin while listening to music sucked in via NFS - on x86_64 of course. Where's the problem?
That is interesting. I have no problems compiling from source (I use Debian but I compile KDE from trunk.) And my machines have been using amd64 since the fun chroot days.

I haven't tried it this way in a while (since the nvidia VDPAU stuff hit the ppa repos.)

I'll give it a go again.

Only question, do the online movie plugins work now?
i think with only 1 gig on ram he isnt in need to install 64bit linux...

on my htpc i ve 8 gig on ram, and i am in need to install 64bit...
but my xbmc plays wonderfull and without any problems... ( i need no shared directorys, because its also my home-server... every file is on the hdd of my xbmc machine *g*)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit when pressing "o" button0