[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)
Very nice script Smile

I had the problem that a lot of the images was to black/blury according to the script so now I have set the enable_compare flag to 0 and to generate 29 thumbs for each movie.

Gives a lot of nice thumbs, but also some black/blury etc.

To make it easier sorting the thumbs, I made a tiny Java app and thought I could share it here if someone is interested. It's only tested on Windows and "optimized" for a screen that is 1280px wide.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yxdzxm1doms (EDIT: no renaming)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0wnmjxue1mb (EDIT: renaming, 2. Fixed)

-Eitraz
Cool, does it rename them back to thumb1-thumb9 afterwards?
No, it does not rename any files. But it's an easy fix if it's a request Wink
It would save running a renamer afterwards.
Hitcher Wrote:It would save running a renamer afterwards.

Have uploaded a new version that will give the option to automatic rename files when exiting the program (thumb1.jpg, thumb2.jpg ...).

http://www.mediafire.com/?0wnmjxue1mb (EDIT: New link, discovered a minor renaming bug where thumbs deleted the current session wasn't taken into account)

-Eitraz
Has any more work been done on the VOB files? I do a straight DVD rip so I have VTS_01 ... _02 .... _03 etc.

Is it possible to have it scan them all as the same movie?
420p Wrote:how does this work with .mkvs? I get a FFMPeg error
try running it from the root of your harddrive

worked for me
Just tried this but it creates thumb1.jpg and the gets stuck in a loop changing the thumb for that one file Sad
madmunky Wrote:Just tried this but it creates thumb1.jpg and the gets stuck in a loop changing the thumb for that one file Sad

I had this problem too.. it seems that something is broken with the blur/black detection, might be due to a new version of ImageMagick.. edit the thumber.config file and set black_threshold and blur_threshold to 0, which will disable that check; I've found that most thumbs still look alright even with those checks disabled.

It doesn't seem like webmosher is really maintaining this app anymore, so I'll see if I can figure out how to fix this problem.

Edit: I just checked the perl script and ran the ImageMagick commands manually (with ImageMagick 6.5.5), and when comparing the thumbnail to a black image, ImageMagick just returns "images too dissimilar", rather than a value. This behaviour must have been changed in ImageMagick. Unfortunately I can't really see a way to force it to try to compare the images anyhow, so unless someone here can come up with a different way to do the comparison, it's probably best to just disable the black checking. The blur checking seems to (sort of) work still.
talisto Wrote:I had this problem too.. it seems that something is broken with the blur/black detection, might be due to a new version of ImageMagick.. edit the thumber.config file and set black_threshold and blur_threshold to 0, which will disable that check; I've found that most thumbs still look alright even with those checks disabled.

It doesn't seem like webmosher is really maintaining this app anymore, so I'll see if I can figure out how to fix this problem.

Edit: I just checked the perl script and ran the ImageMagick commands manually (with ImageMagick 6.5.5), and when comparing the thumbnail to a black image, ImageMagick just returns "images too dissimilar", rather than a value. This behaviour must have been changed in ImageMagick. Unfortunately I can't really see a way to force it to try to compare the images anyhow, so unless someone here can come up with a different way to do the comparison, it's probably best to just disable the black checking. The blur checking seems to (sort of) work still.

Thanks for the reply I've got it working but the flag I had to change was

# Enable comparision. Set this to 1 to enable, 0 to disable.
enable_compare => 0

otherwise the program would just sit updating the same thumbnail, all is now working fine Smile
has anyone got this to work on a mac? if so do you mind posting the steps for me ( i know basically nothing about how to run scripts and whatnot)
marklight Wrote:has anyone got this to work on a mac? if so do you mind posting the steps for me ( i know basically nothing about how to run scripts and whatnot)

I have, but it definitely requires some knowledge of command-line/shell stuff, so if you're not familiar with that, I suggest you start with a tutorial like this: http://linuxcommand.org (note that's a tutorial for the Linux shell, but it's almost identical to the BSD system that OSX uses; you can launch the terminal in OSX by going to Applications > Utilities > Terminal).

I'm not going to give you the raw commands to blindly cut-n-paste into your terminal to get this script to work, because it's dangerous to run shell commands without really knowing what they do. So I'm just going to list the general steps needed to get this working, and I'll leave it up to you to figure out exactly how to do that. Wink

- You need to install MacPorts. Get it here: http://www.macports.org
- Using MacPorts, you need to install ffmpeg and ImageMagick.
- You also need to install MediaInfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
- Set the permissions on the "thumber" script to be executable
- Edit the "thumber.config" file and set enable_compare to "0" (the comparison functions are broken with the latest ImageMagick so you need to disable them)
- Run the "thumber" script with the path to your movies as the first argument on the command-line

That's about it!
this is awesome. Same a lot of time creating thumbs for Aeon.

I am worry about the infinite loop when running the script under Linux. As I use thumber with sabnzbd as a user script. And I am afraid thumber will continue running nonstop.

Is there a way to say only try for 10 minutes or something??
I've tried this on my Mac, but every thumb it created came out as a blank (black) .jpg. I guess I need to adjust a parameter somewhere, but not sure what. After I built everything I just executed the script in Terminal with

Code:
./thumber /path/to/movie folder

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?
Hello,
I can use your software in XBNE ?
XBNE : Movie DataBase Editor for XBMC

-------------------
Error : Log File
Quote:Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 INFO Starting process
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 DEBUG Using image temp location: C:/Mes Projets/nfo_xbm_14/Exe/thumber-1.2/tmp
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 INFO Process directory found: D:/Godspeed.2009/
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 DEBUG MATCH: avi
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 INFO Found movie: D:/Godspeed.2009/Godspeed.2009.avi, processing thumbnails.
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 DEBUG OVERWRITING Existing thumbnails.
Thu Nov 26 10:43:53 2009 DEBUG Single file processing: D:/Godspeed.2009/Godspeed.2009.avi
Thu Nov 26 10:43:54 2009 DEBUG MEDIAINFO: 'C:/Mes' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

Thu Nov 26 10:43:54 2009 DEBUG THUMB: D:/Godspeed.2009/extra_temp/thumb1.jpg
Thu Nov 26 10:43:54 2009 DEBUG D:/Godspeed.2009/Godspeed.2009.avi -- thumb1: 0(s) 852x480 crop: pad:
Thu Nov 26 10:43:54 2009 ERROR Thumbnail 1 for D:/Godspeed.2009/Godspeed.2009.avi not created: FFMPEG ERROR: 1
Thu Nov 26 10:43:54 2009 INFO Processing complete.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)2