[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)
Thanks much for the feedback, I have made a moderate number of changes to help manage some of the problems that have been noted.

Fixed link for new version is in the parent post and here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wvrmmiywlm...er-1.1.zip

First change: all the default config options are now in a separate config file. This was done specifically because the Windows exe hides all the underlying goodies for the program, and I wanted to allow these things to be changed a bit more easily. In my experience, Windows users are not as comfortable with command prompt options. However, they might not be comfortable with a config file either. One thing to note: The config values are not specifically validated, so if you put in really bad sizing (negative or 1x1), or put in crop offsets outside of 100%, you will likely get no thumbnails or really really bad ones.

Crop/padding and aspect handing has been completely rewritten. There is a new padding option that controls how the images are padded or cropped. You can choose none (all images are cropped to aspect), height only (wide images cropped), width only (probably not really useful) and all (also might not be too useful). I've also finally figured out why FFMPEG seemed to botch crops so badly, and crop aspects should be accurate and centered. Because centering might not be what everyone wants, I have added an cropping offset option. This is a percent offset value, so 100% moves the crop all the way to one side of the frame. Values are positive or negative.

I noted occasions where badly encoded files cause FFMPEG to crash or get stuck. I have added handling for these situations to kill FFMPEG if it takes too long to find frames. By default the timeout is 60 seconds, and if it reaches this time, it assumes the whole file is bad and just skips the movie. Because of this change, the Win32 version is now a specific subset of code. This is due to how windows handles processes differently from Linux/Unix. I tried to keep them working together, but because of the way Win32 fork and exec work together (they don't), I had to diverge the code a bit. So, if you choose to run the Perl script version under windows, use the thumber.win32 script in the "src" directory. Everything has been tested on both Windows and Linux.

Some other minor changes:
  • I've changed the default image size to 960x540, which is still 16:9. If you want a different aspect/size, you can change this in the config file. All the aspect calculations are based on your desired thumb size and the aspect padding option.
  • New movie types add as per request (mp4|divx|xvid|m2ts). These are now kept in the config file.
  • Program output is put in a logfile in the program directory. This allows you to easily see where errors occurred.
  • You can set the "extrathumbs" directory in the config file.
  • FFMPEG included with Windows handles errors much better and does a better job on HD MKV and WMV files.
  • VOB multipart file creation was non-existent. I did fix and test this. Right now, this only creates thumbs for VTS_1, no other VTS sections will be processed. It is assumed this is your main movie. Let me know if this needs work.
Regarding specific issues noted:
Rad: You can now select either a default width or height and it will resize the missing dimension based on the aspect ratio from the config. For example, if your config is 1280x720 (16:9) and you just use a -x 960 option, your thumbnail will come out 960x540. If you set BOTH width and height, this becomes your new aspect ratio (it completely overrides the default). Also, since you didn't like letterboxing, you should set the aspect padding to none in the config and it will crop everything for you.

phoenx97: For the image processing ideas... I am still considering the right plan of attack for this. Right now, I am looking at patching XBMC itself to allow use of thumbs on multipart movies in the skins. Right now, that isn't working in XBMC itself.

Hitcher: You were right about the bug with adding the extrathumbs in the "root" scan folder. I've fixed this problem.

paul: Hope I fixed the VTS/VOB parsing. Let me know if it works for you. Note that because of the ListItem stacking issue in XBMC, your thumbs probably will not appear anyway unless you only have one VOB in the folder.

Thanks.
Thanks for the update but I'm a little confused about the 'custom paths' part of the config file.
Can I set the paths to my media in there or is it only for the tools?
The custom paths are only for the tools (ffmpeg, mediainfo). Generally, this is meant for LINUX users that might choose to custom compile those tools and put them in non-standard directories.

I have been considering a way to add multiple scanning paths. If this is something you'd like, let me know.
I thought it was for tools only but, if it's not to much to ask, custom media paths in the config would be really helpful for me as I have three separate ones.

Thanks.
Thanks for the update will try it and let you know.
When i rip movies i rip them to one huge .vob and just name it moviename.vob
I guess from what you said above it only reads them if there called vts_1 etc
Or will it know look at any file with the .vob extension
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:Thanks for the update will try it and let you know.
When i rip movies i rip them to one huge .vob and just name it moviename.vob
I guess from what you said above it only reads them if there called vts_1 etc
Or will it know look at any file with the .vob extension
Before... it was probably ignoring the VOB extension. There was a problem with the filename extension parsing. In some cases it was missing the extension altogether, in others, it was seeing extensions in the middle of file names. This was a peculiar problem if you had a folder/movie with the name "Movie" in it. Now, it should be strictly looking for extensions. The VTS_1 issue only impacts multipart VOBs (ex: say you ripped a DVD verbatim to the drive). I only tested it with a couple of rips. I suppose there might be situations where the authoring used a different structure, but hopefully it works for most cases.

Cheers.
Hitcher Wrote:I thought it was for tools only but, if it's not to much to ask, custom media paths in the config would be really helpful for me as I have three separate ones.
Yes, I understand. My movies are in several paths as well. I think your idea is pretty solid. What I am thinking is to have a separate file with one path per line, and you can set this file as a config option. It'll then read and parse each path in the accessory file. Its not too hard to get this in place, so I'll try an update later tonight.
webmosher Wrote:Before... it was probably ignoring the VOB extension. There was a problem with the filename extension parsing. In some cases it was missing the extension altogether, in others, it was seeing extensions in the middle of file names. This was a peculiar problem if you had a folder/movie with the name "Movie" in it. Now, it should be strictly looking for extensions. The VTS_1 issue only impacts multipart VOBs (ex: say you ripped a DVD verbatim to the drive). I only tested it with a couple of rips. I suppose there might be situations where the authoring used a different structure, but hopefully it works for most cases.

Cheers.
Thanks i will bear that in mind, i had wondered if it had something to do with the way it was ripped as i use good old dvddecryptor also i still cant get it to do the .mp4s i had a look in the the log and it says it allready has thumbs in there? weired or what
webmosher Wrote:Update 1.1

Amazing! Worked flawlessly and is super easy to configure.... Thanks so much for the "none" option for aspect padding. I'm stoked!
Hello

Can you add an extension " .ISO " ?

THANK YOU
webmosher Wrote:Yes, I understand. My movies are in several paths as well. I think your idea is pretty solid. What I am thinking is to have a separate file with one path per line, and you can set this file as a config option. It'll then read and parse each path in the accessory file. Its not too hard to get this in place, so I'll try an update later tonight.

Thanks, it's appreciated.
Cyrilys Wrote:Can you add an extension " .ISO " ?
I've tried testing this with a DVD ISO and it looks like FFMPEG cannot read these files as movies. Right now, I don't have much time to try and track down a solution for this. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

My only possible outlook might be to try and mount the ISO as a virtual file system, and then pull the thumbs from the VOBs and put them back into the original directory. This would be fairly easy in Linux, but might be a pain in Windows.
Not sure what is going wrong but i placed all the files in the root of my media folder,
all movies in there own folders each with moviename.avi moviename.nfo moveiname-fanart and movie.tbn
When i click on thumber. exe it runs but all it does is places empty folders in named extrathumbs here is the log.
Quote:Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Starting process
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Searching for movie files in path: L:/Thumbs needed
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: James Bond 22 - Quantum of Solace-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Thumbnails exist. Skipping
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Land of the Dead-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: MEMPHIS_BELLE-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Righteous Kill-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Saturday Night Fever-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Serenity-divx.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Star Trek.VOB, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 ERROR Problem reading media info for file Star Trek.VOB
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Found movie: Taken.avi, processing thumbnails.
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 ERROR Problem reading media info for file Taken.avi
Tue May 19 12:13:54 2009 INFO Processing complete.
Is it something i am doing wrong, this is the way i did it with the older version of thumber and it worked ok. i have tried all ways to get it to work and it keeps saying the same thing thumbs allready exist? any advice or ideas would be very helpfull thanks
i ahve similar problems, the first version used to work very good,
now somehow the old and new dont work anymore.
Is there something special i have to watch?
I use windows 7.
paul Wrote:Not sure what is going wrong but i placed all the files in the root of my media folder,
all movies in there own folders each with moviename.avi moviename.nfo moveiname-fanart and movie.tbn
When i click on thumber. exe it runs but all it does is places empty folders in named extrathumbs here is the log.
Is it something i am doing wrong, this is the way i did it with the older version of thumber and it worked ok. i have tried all ways to get it to work and it keeps saying the same thing thumbs allready exist? any advice or ideas would be very helpfull thanks
Hi Paul,

Sorry for this, I have found a bug where the path names for Windows files (using the backslash) are somehow confusing Mediainfo. I have a update that I am finishing some testing on and hope to upload today. It includes a fix for this problem.

Thanks,
Fred

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Quick Thumbnail Generator Tool (for Linux, Mac, and Windows)2