Whole house media and security for home automation control?
hey XBMC_FREAK i have been trying to send you a PM but it looks like PM is not working for you or something how can i get hold of you irc,aim,msn, you name it im on it. i have tons of ideas but your the man with a plan
I am on yahoo IM all the time it seems lol...also check the username spelling as I have received PMs from others....
The following users were not found:

XBMC_FREAK

thats what i get when i click on send. i did get ur msg pm the yahoo id and ill get back to you on that
I really do not know why PMs are not working for me. If anyone lives in Los Angeles or Inland Empire and you want something designed like this for you please feel free to contact me.
Hi,

Just wanted to say this is one of the most interesting and informative reads on here Nod

It's a shame your not in uk! I'd hire you to do some work for me too! Smile

Really impressed with what you've done, and I hope you continue to document your work, you've given me many new ideas (many of which I'll never achieve) but never the less something to try out and keep me busy.

Great thread,
Keep it up,
Pat~
PatrickBateman:

Thank You sir for the kind words. UK isnt that long of a flight, I don't eat much, dont take up alot of space. I am totally kidding , however if you need any help feel free to contact me.
I picked up a compaq d51s usff pc in oem configuration of craigslist for the amount of $20. I wheeled and dealed a 1gb ram stick for $4 at a swapmeet, along with a new vga and new ethernet cables each for $1 dollar.

I finally got around to installing an OS, I decided to go with XP PRO as I will tweak alot of things to make it feel more like an appliance. I also need to run eventghost so openelec was sadly not going to work for this project. I will not go into detail on how to install an OS, but I will go into the tweaks, changes and finished project. Follow along within the next few days as I take a $20 PC and turn it into a purpose built multimedia machine.

I couldnt resist I have already installed XBMC and its snappy, cant wait to finish this, I will prove you dont need alot of money to enjoy a true multimedia experience using XBMC. I am really thinking of making a new thread just for the build as it will have alot of usefull information and as a kicker I will also go into designing a custom remote as well.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119728

Thank you all for the kind words and support.
Freak, I don't even use security cams, but it seems like you did an excellent job with all this. It must have taken a long time to do. Very nice of you to share it with the rest of the community as well!

Just wanted to say that and give credit where credit is due.

Please share your other projects too! Very interesting stuff that you come up with.

PS nice E60, what engine? Smile
I am in awe of your setup sir...very nice work! I'm thinking I need a new project to work on at my place, reading your post I think I defiantly found it. What kind of home automation devices are you using for power/lighting/garage door control?
Beamen:

Thanks again, and all of you for the support. I use to only read and search the forums since thrr xbox days, and finally just said screw it and decided to post and contribute. I saw a need to introduce new ideas and concepts that would help others truly make XBMC an experience. Based on the support which I can't thank enough I truly hope any of my posts have helped someone out there on their project.

And Beamen the e60 is a 530.

Techchad:

That's great news you will be installing and automating your home. Make sure to keep up the excitement and words of wisdom Plan, Plan, and just in case check the Plans again LOL. Take the time and map out what you want to accomplish, and think outside the box.

As for the home lighting controls I can not speak of this due to being a beta tester on a new product that may come to market.

The garage and sprinklers are based on custom design hardware.
I am in the process of securing a patent on a few of my designs and there's two products that I a working on that I really would believe all you will love, and would be a must add to any win , mac, linux multimedia systems.

Thanks again all of you for the support and I plan to update the thread with the latest cheap build later today, once I find the sd usb card reader, UGH. I have to come up with an idea to find stuff I misplaced lolololol just kidding.
Hi,

Can you confirm the web cams that you are using please?

The ones avaliable outside that you have showing the rain i assume are waterproof?
Sorry guys I have not been updating on this thread. On Dec 23, 11:40pm there was gunshots that rang out and two of them hit my home. There is video and the police department is currently reviewing it. Never do you believe something will happen until it does.
on the webcams I have been lucky. That particular cam is a fusion. It has worked down to 27 deg to over 123...Though I do have it mounted properly to avoid water .
ok....so im very familiar with webcam xp as i have used it for a few years now, what id like to know is how you make the alerts pop-up, also how do you make the alerts pop-up on all networked xbmc installs.

I have a relatively simple setup, i have a win xp pro machine as my main file server, shared directories are added to the separate instances of xbmc. i have another xp pro machine that is my dvr for webcam xp.

i have downloaded and installed both eventghost and winautomation, and i'm beginning to familiarize myself with their usage.

exactly how do i use these to make the pop up appear. i'm fine with the way yours looks and am happy with the size.

i also have a FIFO usb 4 relay board (made by denkovi) that i'd like to use to turn on lights when either motion is detected or the doorbell is pressed.

with that in mind i'm extremely interested in how you accomplished the usb doorbell....
i'm on an extremely tight budget, but i know i have the components to make this work.

email me and let me know or post here for others as well....as im sure a few are interested in a bit more detail.
Thanks in advance,
-Tim
[email protected]
Sure no problem I apologize for the late response been very busy . What parts are you getting hung up on....first page explains alot but I am willing to answer your specific questions in better detail since theres many ways to integrate security cams with XBMC.

Simple one cam popup:

Download and Setup Filezilla ftp server (its free) on your xp machine/file server. Remember your ip and I hope its static and not dhcp.

Setup a "campics" folder in the ftp server and give it a username/password.

In webcam xp goto the ftp tab and input the details to your ftp server you just setup. Once its done click a test and you should see it upload successfully,if it didnt you need to troubleshoot.

On the server create a security root folder under it create an archive folder,a xbmccam folder, and a securitycams folder.

On the security tab in webcamxp also setup motion activated snapshots setup your zone..in the smaller window you should see ftp upload along with other options like sms just check the box ftp for now and save.

In winautomation create a self executable batchfile which takes the cam snapshot which has date and time included on the end of the filename. Setup the batch to copy all files in campics folder to the archive and xbmccam folder. Set the batch to rename any files in xbmccam folder to cam1.jpg and so forth for more cams.

Create another batch file which deletes all files in xbmccam folder.

In Eventghost:

use Xbmc plugin and directory watcher
create macros to watch campics directory.created so when theres a jpeg in there eventghost will run the self execuable batch file.

Add another directory.created watcher this time on xbmccam folder. Setup xbmc plugin popup window and put whatever message you would like the popup to have such as "motion alert". You should be able to test it and there should be a popup in xbmc.
In the same macro after the popup setup it up to run the delete batchfile you created earlier.

On your xbmc box map the server share to a drive letter. ie. F:/security

then modify dialogkai.xml in the xbmc program files folder and add the drive/directory/filname ex: F:/security/xbmccam/cam1.jpg

If you want a larger pic you will need to modify more in the xml file.

In Xbmc running add the F:/security/securitycams directory
in that directory add .pls files to every cam stream. You should be able to watch your cams in xbmc now.

Technically you should be able see a popup window and when your cam gets activated it should happen automatically. You should also be able to watch any camera stream.

Im sure you will have some more question just let me know what parts you need help on.

Good Day

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whole house media and security for home automation control?0