• 24(current)
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS
Amelandbor Wrote:Well it didn't work for me. But I'll wait till the new xbmc stable release and then I will do a fresh install for my complete system.

Drats. I'm always amazed at how well some of this stuff still works with all the different ways people put their systems together. They wrote some good code, plus linux is just so modular.

Feel free to PM me when you get back to it, if it doesn't work. There's definitely still something weird about the PS3 remote (Sony's or third-party) and the bluez stack.
Will do that, thanks a lot for your help here.
I'm curious, is it possible to run BD Remote under Minimal installation of Ubuntu? I'm running version 9.11 and most of the stuff I do is run through terminal command lines!
yes its possible, check page 33 for the latest procedure,
because the first post is HEAVELY outdated!! (lirc isnt even used anymore)
@kitlaan: btw, i already suggested them to create keymapping in config file but they rejected the proposal, stating that bluez is not the right place to perform keymapping tasks.
http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=12...511638&w=2
kitlaan Wrote:Here's the entire setup, from scratch. (Hopefully I didn't miss anything, as I'm going from memory and going back through the posts.)

Note: No LIRC required. These steps currently only work with the Sony PS3 Remote. Packages are available for Ubuntu Karmic and Jaunty.

1. Install PPA: kitlaan PPA.
  2. Update and upgrade at least the bluez package. Also install the python-bluez package.
  3. Make sure the uinput kernel module is loaded. If not, run sudo modprobe uinput and add "uinput" to the file /etc/modules.
  4. Get the pairing program ps3_pair.tar.gz. Extract the archive (tar xvf ps3_pair.tar.gz) and run the script (python ps3_pair.py), while holding the ENTER and START keys on the remote for 7+ seconds. It should detect the remote.
  5. Run "/usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices" to verify that the remote is paired (and connected). Also, running "cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep emot" should show the remote.
  6. Customize the file "/etc/bluetooth/input.conf" for button mappings and timeout values.
  7. At this point, the remote should connect (and auto-disconnect after a timeout, if configured). The d-pad is probably the best way to test it within xbmc. If you have a terminal active, pressing the number buttons should type the number.

For people that want to go from source, the latest patch is here (applies cleanly to bluez 4.51 and higher). I hope to submit the patch upstream, but haven't quite figured out the steps for that yet.

Whew. I hope that's all of it.

I'm on 9.11 a2 Live
I follow the guide but here the problem.

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ /usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices
[ /org/bluez/2623/hci0 ]
    Name = XBMCLive-0
    Powered = 1
    Devices = dev_00_21_4F_B2_D1_4F
    DiscoverableTimeout = 0
    PairableTimeout = 0
    Discoverable = 0
    Address = 00:02:72:A3:75:D8
    Discovering = 0
    Pairable = 1
    Class = 4849924
    [ /org/bluez/2623/hci0/dev_00_21_4F_B2_D1_4F ]
        Name = BD Remote Control
        Paired = 0
        Adapter = /org/bluez/2623/hci0
        Alias = BD Remote Control
        Connected = 0
        UUIDs = 0x1124 0x1200
        Address = 00:21:4F:B2:D1:4F
        Class = 0x00250c
        Trusted = 1

But the other command...
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep emot
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$

no output...

I have bluez4.5.7 installed

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo aptitude show bluez
Package: bluez
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4.57-0ubuntu1~kitlaan5~karmic
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <[email protected]>
Uncompressed Size: 1,270k
Depends: libbluetooth3 (>= 4.57-0ubuntu1~kitlaan5~karmic), libc6 (>= 2.7),
         libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0), libnl1 (>= 1.1),
         libusb-0.1-4 (>= 2:0.1.12), module-init-tools, makedev | udev,
         lsb-base, dbus
Suggests: python-gobject, python-dbus
Conflicts: bluez-utils (<= 3.36-3)
Replaces: bluez-audio, bluez-input, bluez-network, bluez-serial, bluez-utils (<=
          4.9)
Description: Bluetooth tools and daemons
This package contains tools and system daemons for using Bluetooth devices.

BlueZ is the official Linux Bluetooth protocol stack. It is an Open Source
project distributed under GNU General Public License (GPL).

I also haven't the bluetoothd daemon
Only /etc/init.d/bluetooth (without the final "d")

try with...
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo killall bluetoothd
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ bluetoothd -nd
bluetoothd[8245]: Bluetooth daemon 4.57
bluetoothd[8245]: Enabling debug information
bluetoothd[8245]: parsing main.conf
bluetoothd[8245]: discovto=0
bluetoothd[8245]: pairto=0
bluetoothd[8245]: pageto=8192
bluetoothd[8245]: name=%h-%d
bluetoothd[8245]: class=0x000100
bluetoothd[8245]: discov_interval=0
bluetoothd[8245]: Key file does not have key 'DeviceID'
bluetoothd[8245]: Unable to get on D-Bus
Any suggestion?
ruff Wrote:@kitlaan: btw, i already suggested them to create keymapping in config file but they rejected the proposal, stating that bluez is not the right place to perform keymapping tasks.
http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=12...511638&w=2

Blah. Since X's scancode/keycode stuff is seriously broken (255 keycodes max!?)... augh. I guess I'll give it a shot anyways, but I also fully expect to be patching it forever... thx for the info though.
Yeah, it should be "/etc/init.d/bluetooth" (no d). I've been typo'ing that for a bit now. (Alternatively, "service bluetooth stop")

It looks like you're pairing and detecting correctly, but...

when you run "bluetoothd" manually, it looks like you need to run it via sudo also ("sudo bluetoothd -nd"). (That explains the D-Bus message).

I need to run some from-scratch experiments to see why sometimes the remote just doesn't connect up right; really confused Sad
i trust you Big Grin
Between menno and I putting our brains together, we've figured out what his particular problem is. (I still have a fix I need to do with the Jaunty package...)

Looks like a previous pairing of the remote half-failed. It paired, but did not register itself. By unpairing, and re-pairing, it connected fine!

We'll put together a new thread with better instructions at some point in the future.
well... i don't know how to unpair

i tried to purge the bluez&python-bluez packets but without success

And also to run "bluetoothd -nd" with sudo but it give me the same error
you don't need to uninstall, all data is stored in /var/lib/bluetooth/ dir.
Try to execute both, sudo killall bluetoothd and then sudo bluetoothd -nd.
Also verify that dbus is running. There are posts before debugging the same error.
first, ty for the help...

I try to re-pair the bd remote, re-inserto the command and this is the output

http://pastebin.com/m78836865

When i press any button, nothing happen Sad
First thanks of a nice python script to pair and unpair PS3 remote.
One problem came, tho. I have 2 nvidia cards connected to TV and LCD. So I ran 2 seat KDM. Seat 0 has xbmc and seat 1 has kde4. I mapped PS3 remote to seat0 as a evdev keyboard in xorg.conf and from xbmc I set remote to act as keyboard. Everything works nice, but tty1 (alt+F1) captures also all remote events from /dev/input/event8 (ps3 remote) while I control xbmc in DISPLAY :0.

Anyone have similar problems and solutions to this?
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS6