• 45(current)
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS
Has anyone gotten the newer PS3 remote to work? It looks like the original one has been discontinued...
i did a restart and the remote does NOT work. do i alway have to pair and goto bluetooth manager on xbmcbuntu again. there must be a better way. pls help me.

thanks
(2012-04-30, 10:38)dimarra Wrote: i did a restart and the remote does NOT work. do i alway have to pair and goto bluetooth manager on xbmcbuntu again. there must be a better way. pls help me.

thanks

I put my walkthrough of pairing and getting things going on here:

Configuring the Sony PS3 BD Remote with MythTV & XBMC

if that helps?

Martin
(2012-04-30, 11:05)MartinHJ Wrote:
(2012-04-30, 10:38)dimarra Wrote: i did a restart and the remote does NOT work. do i alway have to pair and goto bluetooth manager on xbmcbuntu again. there must be a better way. pls help me.

thanks

I put my walkthrough of pairing and getting things going on here:

Configuring the Sony PS3 BD Remote with MythTV & XBMC

if that helps?

Martin

Thanks Ill give this a go when i get home.
---------------

I did the steps without any issues. However after powering down and starting up the remote is still not working? Are there any other steps to do?

Thanks

I don't know if it'll work for you or not, but here's the process I've always used to get my PS3 BD Remotes working:

Run the following to install Bluez:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge bluez
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the following lines at the end of the file (changing the "lucid" part to match the Ubuntu version you're using):
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kitlaan/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kitlaan/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

Then run the following commands to install Kitlaan's version of Bluez:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 6F7177CC
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bluez

Check to see if uinput is running by using the following command:
Code:
lsmod | grep uinput

If uinput doesn't show up in the output, perform the following to add it:
Code:
sudo modprobe uinput
sudo nano/etc/modules

And add the following line at the end of the file:
Code:
uninput

Then download Kitlaan's script to pair the remote to the Bluetooth dongle by using the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-dbus python-gobject
sudo wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/holdingcell/ps3pair.tar.gz
sudo tar xvfz ps3pair.tar.gz
cd ps3pair
sudo python ps3pair.py

When prompted, hold the Start and Enter buttons on the PS3 remote (I usually press them once, release, then hold for about 10 seconds or whenever it prompts me to pair the remote). It's worth noting that before my bluetooth dongle would even recognize my PS3 Remote, I had to pair them in Windows first, then it worked without issues. No idea why. When it discovers the PS3 Remote, it will also tell you the MAC Address of the remote. Write it down for future reference. Once paired, customize your /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file to map the remote control buttons to the keyboard stroke you want to use. Then you can edit the /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml file to map the keyboard key presses to XBMC actions as you see fit.

Never had any issues with this method, but YMMV. Figured it's worth it if it helps even one person.
XBMCbuntu {Frodo} - Ubuntu 12.04 (Main):
Intel Q6600 [2.4GHz Quad Core], 4GB DDR3, nVidia GT-210, Antec Fusion Case (iMon LCD), PS3 BD Remote

XBMC Live {Frodo} - Ubuntu 10.04 (Bedroom): Intel Atom D510 [1.66GHz Dual Core], ION Graphics, 2GB DDR2, PS3 BD Remote
(2012-05-01, 22:00)DaMizZa Wrote: I don't know if it'll work for you or not, but here's the process I've always used to get my PS3 BD Remotes working:

I got the remote working on ubuntu 12.04 minimal with a few modifications to your procedure.
Here are the modifications:

Use the oneiric kitlaan ppa, since there is no precise kitlaan ppa yet.
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kitlaan/ppa/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kitlaan/ppa/ubuntu oneiric main

Make/edit the preferences file to make apt-get install kitlaans version of bluez.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences
Add this text
Code:
Package: bluez
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-kitlaan
Pin-Priority: 700

Skip the uinput section, 12.04 has uinput built into the kernel, and is no longer a module.

When you are done with the full procedure and edited your input.conf you can restart bluetooth with
Code:
sudo service bluetooth restart
A package for 12.04 has been submitted to the PPA. I haven't fully tested it (don't have a spare remote, and my wife would hurt me if I broke the production system) so if anyone runs into problems, let me know. There didn't seem to be any major differences since the last version I released, but user-beware.
(2012-05-06, 15:04)kitlaan Wrote: A package for 12.04 has been submitted to the PPA. I haven't fully tested it

I did and it works Big Grin

(2012-05-01, 22:00)DaMizZa Wrote: I don't know if it'll work for you or not, but here's the process I've always used to get my PS3 BD Remotes working:

thanks for your help. however the steps you outlined in the post still requires me to go to the bluetooth manager everytime i power up the pc/ubuntu. I would like to NOT to do that. there must be some setting that i am missing that is key to making this process stick across shutdowns and power ons.

still needing help.
thanks in advance.

(2012-05-20, 13:05)dimarra Wrote:

thanks for your help. however the steps you outlined in the post still requires me to go to the bluetooth manager everytime i power up the pc/ubuntu. I would like to NOT to do that. there must be some setting that i am missing that is key to making this process stick across shutdowns and power ons.

still needing help.
thanks in advance.

If you used my setup guide here it should work after a reboot (never had a problem on several machines):

http://www.harley-jones.co.uk/?p=41

Did you remember to check "always grant access" ?

Sorry bit vague as a long time since I last did this setup and am not at my machine right now

Martin
I bought a new one of PS3BD remote recently and setup it with the latest bluez with a patch for ps3bd. It has been working to some extent. "some extent " means, some buttens like d-pad, start, select and enter-key are working but others not.
I confirmed that the input.conf in /etc/bluetooth was read. The input.conf is one prepared by someone who made the package and includes lots of key assignment recommended for XBMC.
Does new type remote need differenet key map definitions?

i am still going through the 'bluetooth manager' on xbmcbuntu.

when starting the computer from it being off, what button do i press to pair the remote back?

ENTER and START
or
PS button
or
something else.

Please let me know.

Thanks
(2012-06-07, 02:34)himao Wrote: I bought a new one of PS3BD remote recently and setup it with the latest bluez with a patch for ps3bd. It has been working to some extent. "some extent " means, some buttens like d-pad, start, select and enter-key are working but others not.
I confirmed that the input.conf in /etc/bluetooth was read. The input.conf is one prepared by someone who made the package and includes lots of key assignment recommended for XBMC.
Post your input.conf file.

(2012-06-10, 22:11)pumkinut Wrote:
(2012-06-07, 02:34)himao Wrote: I bought a new one of PS3BD remote recently and setup it with the latest bluez with a patch for ps3bd. It has been working to some extent. "some extent " means, some buttens like d-pad, start, select and enter-key are working but others not.
Post your input.conf file.

http://pastebin.com/aEWQdTNF

thanks in advance
Okay, I see the problem. You need to change the input.conf file. The entries that have the parenthetical entries after them are the defaults. Those buttons aren't recognized by XBMC, but the entries in parentheses after them are. The recommended entries are what you want to change to.

Here's and example:
Code:
Before:
0x64 = KEY_AUDIO          # AUDIO             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_A)
0x65 = KEY_ANGLE          # ANGLE             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_Z)
0x63 = KEY_SUBTITLE       # SUBTITLE          (XBMC recommendation: KEY_T)
0x0f = KEY_CLEAR          # CLEAR             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_DELETE)
0x28 = KEY_TIME           # TIMER             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_END)

After:
0x64 = KEY_A          # AUDIO             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_A)
0x65 = KEY_Z          # ANGLE             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_Z)
0x63 = KEY_T       # SUBTITLE          (XBMC recommendation: KEY_T)
0x0f = KEY_DELETE          # CLEAR             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_DELETE)
0x28 = KEY_END       # TIMER             (XBMC recommendation: KEY_END)
XBMC does not recognize CLEAR, AUDIO, TIME, etc. The recommended entries are keys that XBMC will recognize that accomplish the same or similar functions. The hex at the beginning of each line is the actual key code, the "KEY_" entry maps the key code to a specific button/keyboard key and function.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS6