• 49(current)
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS
This has created a input device, to see it execute:Image
I seem to have everything working, however I'm so confused, how do you get the PS3 remote to actually LAUNCH xbmc from the desktop. I am using ubuntu.
Thumbs Up 
Hello, I would just like to confirm that after lots of hours wasted searching, trying en retrying this method worked straight away for me!

Just had to change the input file, which for some reason stated the timout in minutes but was actually counting seconds... the default setting of 1 minute (actually 1 second) wasn't comfortable Wink

Thanks darkshadow & Freezy for the clear instructions!

ps: I'm using the most recent XBMCbuntu 12.2-amd which is built upon Lubuntu 12.10 on a sony vaio SVE1512E6EW and I'm a complete noob Smile

(2013-01-01, 23:02)darkshadow Wrote: Hi Freezy,

Just to confirm the the code works on a fresh install of Xbmcbuntu RC2.

Here are the steps I followed including pairing.
Code:
SSH into your XBMC box

sudo apt-get install bluez libdbus-1-dev libglib2.0-dev python-dbus python-gobject
sudo service bluetooth stop
cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/bluez_ps3remote_4.91.diff
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/bluetooth/bluez-4.91.tar.gz
tar xvfz bluez-4.91.tar.gz
cd bluez-4.91
patch -p1 < ../bluez_ps3remote_4.91.diff
./configure --prefix=/usr && make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/input.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/input.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/serial.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/serial.conf

sudo reboot

SSH into your XBMC box

cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/ps3pair.tar.gz
tar xvfz ps3pair.tar.gz
cd ~/ps3pair
sudo python ps3_pair.py

Follow on screen instructions to pair remote.
To check remote is connected run.

/usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices

Edit-update /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file as required

sudo nano /etc/bluetooth/input.conf

More detailed information can be found on the Wiki Page
huh can a ps3 use xbmc?
it can play everything from a NAS too?
No, and no.

This thread is about using the PS3 bluetooth remote control with a Linux-based install of XBMC on a computer, not a PS3.
So I've got the remote working and it's responsive an all.
Extra question though... I have an AZERTY keyboard and for some reason my keyboard is AZERTY (be), but the remote is QWERTY (us)

examplt:
Hitting "W" on my keyboard in the movielist will mark that movie as "Watched"

I've changed input.conf like this
0x0f = KEY_W #CLEAR

But when I press the CLEAR-button on the remote it sends a "Z" instead.

I've checked /etc/default/keyboard and it lists the correct locale: be

Any idea why the PS3 Remote insists on sending Qwerty keystrokes?

For now I've simply switched the letters in input.conf, so that when I want a W I enter a Z in the input.conf, but I can't translate all buttons like this, for instance KEY_COMMA or KEY_DOT.. no idea what I should swap them for.

Any ideas are welcome, thanks in advance!
Hoe is't mijn vriend. Ik ben beetje Belg ook.

This is because the Bluez protocol stack takes the definitions from the header file:

/usr/include/linux/input.h

The specification is hard coded in this file and so is locale independent.

You have to manually hack the appropriate keys and set them in input.conf.
Met mij alles goed, dank je voor je reactie Smile "Beetje Belg"? Hoe doe je dat? Wink

I'm sorry I'm a bit of noob... so I'm not really sure how to interpret the input.h file and wouldn't changing it change the way my keyboard reacts as well?

because the keyboard is working fine, it's just the remote that keeps sending qwerty. If possible I don't want to change the keyboard (just in case the remote should break that I can still use the keyboard properly)

If I look at the example of the CLEAR button on the remote, which I want to use to mark a movie as Watched in the library:

the /etc/bluetooth/input.conf says:
0x0f = KEY_W #CLEAR

In usr.include/linux/input.h I find different definitions for 0x0f, so I have no clue whatsoever what to do, or where to do it.

So could you specify what you mean when you say "manually hack the appropriate keys"

Thanks!
I had success with pairing Logitech Harmony Smart hub with my Linux HTPC, using the patched bluez so that it works as regular keyboard.

Note that you need to add Harmony hub vendor/product into fakehid.c:

Code:
    /* Logitech Harmony PS3 remote device */
    {
        .vendor        = 0x046d,
        .product    = 0xc129,
        .connect    = ps3remote_connect,
        .disconnect    = ps3remote_disconnect,
        .event        = ps3remote_event,
        .setup_uinput    = ps3remote_setup_uinput,
        .devices    = NULL,
    },

Without this modification it will work as HID device only.

This allows to use Harmony remote or your smartphone instead of the PS3 BD Remote.

After some buttons remappings in MyHarmony app I've achieved the ultimate goal, a single remote to rule TV/XBMC/Receiver and one button on/off for all the devices.
(2013-08-29, 10:35)Kaleido Wrote: Hello, I would just like to confirm that after lots of hours wasted searching, trying en retrying this method worked straight away for me!

Just had to change the input file, which for some reason stated the timout in minutes but was actually counting seconds... the default setting of 1 minute (actually 1 second) wasn't comfortable Wink

Thanks darkshadow & Freezy for the clear instructions!

ps: I'm using the most recent XBMCbuntu 12.2-amd which is built upon Lubuntu 12.10 on a sony vaio SVE1512E6EW and I'm a complete noob Smile

(2013-01-01, 23:02)darkshadow Wrote: Hi Freezy,

Just to confirm the the code works on a fresh install of Xbmcbuntu RC2.

Here are the steps I followed including pairing.
Code:
SSH into your XBMC box

sudo apt-get install bluez libdbus-1-dev libglib2.0-dev python-dbus python-gobject
sudo service bluetooth stop
cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/bluez_ps3remote_4.91.diff
cd bluez-4.91
./configure --prefix=/usr && make
sudo make install
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/input.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/input.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/bluetooth/serial.conf /usr/etc/bluetooth/serial.conf

sudo reboot

SSH into your XBMC box

cd ~
wget http://kitlaan.twinaxis.com/projects/bluez-ps3remote/ps3pair.tar.gz
tar xvfz ps3pair.tar.gz
cd ~/ps3pair
sudo python ps3_pair.py

Follow on screen instructions to pair remote.
To check remote is connected run.

/usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices

Edit-update /etc/bluetooth/input.conf file as required

sudo nano /etc/bluetooth/input.conf

More detailed information can be found on the Wiki Page

I'm trying to follow the instructions you quoted. I made it all the way to the device being registered. However, path: /usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices does not exist. I don't see the bluez in usr/share/doc. Now what? Also, I read that you should be able to open terminal in xbmcbuntu and press the numbers on the remote and see it work. However, this doesn't happen for me. And if I run this command: sudo nano /etc/bluetooth/input.conf it just opens a black and blank screen.

I installed blueman as recommended in the troubleshoot. The device appears, and when I right click and select input service - it says connection failed host is down (112)
The parameter to pass to patch is -p1 not -pl.

So don't try and compile the package in the next step if you run into a previous error. Bad habit.
BTW the prefix dir is /usr not /user.
finally got it all working. seems a few reboots now and then helped... hmm. also last straw was trying to re-register the device by continuously pressing START and ENTER (not holding, strangely). Then it said its already registered. And from that point, it worked- very strange. Glad its working though. Thanks for the tips
EDIT: WORKS NOW, I answer myself

My question was: After installing the kitlaan patched version, connecting and checking with bluetoothd -nd or showkey, should the keycodes be all < 255?

The answer is: Yes, if input.config is correct and is read, no if it is not correct! In that case, you will still see keycodes > 255.

Matthias
Yesterday I felt like tinkering, so I decided to upgrade my XBMC HTPC to Ubuntu 13.10.

I wanted to keep using my SMK-Link BT remote, so I ended up updating the PS3Remote patch to apply on top of bluez 4.101 used in Ubuntu 13.10 (turned out easier than I first expected). After 24 hours everything is still running peachy here (I'm also using the December snapshot of Gotham) Smile

For those interested, I uploaded both the updated patch and the x64 packages that I generated for my HTPC:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/55tmp7c...ch%20Saucy

(don't ask for the x86 packages, I'm just sharing what I built for myself here)

If you manually install those packages, make sure to use dpkg-mark to ensure that they do NOT get overwritten next time you do a distro upgrade.

@Kitlaan: Thanks for the original patch Smile If you want to put the updated patch on your website to make it easier for people to find it, be my guest.
Solution to 'Host is down (112)' message?

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I am able to pair my PS3 remote control using 'sudo python ps3_pair.py' but when I go to Applications->Settings->Bluetooth Manager, right click on 'BD Remote Control' and click on 'Input Service' I get 'Connection Failed: Host is down (112)', I am unable to have any key presses on the remote control show up in any input windows and it's not listed if I type 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices'. If I run bluetoothd in foreground the output is:

Code:
bluetoothd[14027]: Host is down (112)
bluetoothd[14027]: plugins/hciops.c:conn_complete() status 0x04
bluetoothd[14027]: src/event.c:btd_event_conn_failed() status 0x04

I'm actually running Mythbuntu 12.04. A couple of years ago, with Mythbuntu 11.10, the steps I described at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid972971 worked fine. But I can't get it working with 12.04 (specifying 'precise' instead of 'oneiric') having tried multiple times with multiple permutations.

Most recently, I tried the approach described at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._BD_Remote . It wouldn't work unaltered, so here are the steps that I ran in order to make it so that bluetoothd would run:

Code:
lsusb
sudo apt-get purge bluez
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libdbus-1-dev libglib2.0-dev python-dbus python-gobject
cd ~
cd bluez-4.91
./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
make
sudo apt-get install checkinstall
sudo checkinstall --fstrans=no --install=yes --pkgname=bluez --pkgversion "4.91-patched"
dpkg -l |grep bluez
sudo bluetoothd -nd

but still I got 'bluetoothd[14027]: Host is down (112)' when I clicked on 'Input Service'.

Any suggestions for what to try next will be gratefully received!

Thanks very much - Vaughan
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote (PS3 BD) + LIRC + XBMC = SUCCESS6