idiot's guide to aeon?
Question 
Hi there,

having trouble with the vista media center I stumbled on aeon. I've been looking at the aeonproject-site, seing pics, and it looks stunning. So, I've been reading around in this forum, trying to figure out, how to set it up, but right now, it's just quite dizzying.

So, I've set up my HTPC (780G Board, X2 4050e, 2GB RAM, 1TB HD, iMon Pad) with a fresh Win XP SP3 install.

Now I've downloaded XBMC for Windows, Version 9.04, here. Next thing would be the Aeon fonts, linked on aoenproject. So far, so good. Now I need Aeon itself, right? So, there's Aeon, Stark and Auriga Eek. Reading the very unofficial FAQ, I think Aeon is first name, Stark was the name of the next step (V0.91?) and Auriga is the recent build? Or is it the project that is worked on atm? I'm kinda lost here.

But since the FAQ says github is the place to go, I went there. Am I in the right place? This is where I get Auriga's latest builds, right? (Damn I feel stupid...).

About those gorgeous backdrops, do they have to be downloaded an put in aeon folder seperately or is it a tool that downloads and cycles them? Found out about MIP. Might that be the key to make Aeon look as stunning as in the pictures?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking time to help a newb, and sorry for bothering. I'll keep on reading the forum in the meantime, maybe I'll figure some things out myself.

seb.
Sounds like you're on the right track to me. It would be a good idea to have a read through the Online Manual first. And make good use of the search feature on the forums.

In short though, you need to get GitHub installed on your machine, which will then allow you to download Aeon Auriga. There's a thread here which will take you through the process.

Once you've got Git installed, go to the Aeon Auriga site you mentioned, hit download to download all the skin's files. Create a folder under C:\Progeram Files\XBMC\Skins called somethink like "Aeon". Extract the contents of your download into this folder, and replace the fonts folder with the one you've already downloaded.

Then load up XBMC and choose the Aeon skin from within the Settings >> Appearance menu.

The backgrounds which cycle when you're on the homescreen are just contained in a folder, which you point Aeon to and it'll do the rest. I have seperate folders for each of the homescreen menus, tv shows, movies, music etc. Then, when you're on movies it'll just cycle through movie backdrops etc etc. Best to download them in packs from this forum, or from the Aeonproject website.

Then you'll want to start adding your media, from within XBMC, by Adding Sources. For example, go into Movies and select Add Source then just select the folder where your movies are stored. You have two different ways of viewing your media, once you've added the source - File Mode and Library mode. File mode just shows you the files and plays them. Library mode scans the files to a database (you'll need to tell it what content to look for, by Setting Content) and either automatically scapes websites for meta data, or will use nfo files stored in the same folder as your files. This is where MIP and other managers come in, as they give you a proper user interface to download TV Show, Movie and Music information, posters, thumbnails and fanart (backgrounds). XBMC then reads this, instead of scraping websites.

The key really is to get Aeon installed and then just mess around with it. It doesn't take long before you start to understand how it works. The File Mode and Library mode was the bit which took me the longest to grasp.

Getting to grips with the default controls, especially the keyboard ones, is also key. Once you've done that you can start to think about configuring a remote to do everything, then you'll have stuff like EventGhost to learn...I'm not familiar with the iMon Pad, but if it works ok in VMC, it should do fine in XBMC.

It does look as good in real life, as it does in screen shots!
OpenElec / Silverstone LC17 / 6TB / Toshiba 32WLT68

Get your freshly squeezed recipes, news and views at foodforfriendsyeah.co.uk!
Sweet thanks! I'll give it a try next weekend.

I believe the iMon Pad does already have a profile for the XBMC, not quite sure though. But with your links to the default controls, it shouldn't be much of a problem to configure it myself.

Thanks again, I'll report back Smile
Sad 
Alright,

me again, and sorry for doubleposting!

I've installed github and downloaded auriga with it. Now I've put lots of backdrops in the corresponding folders (installdir\XBMC\skin\Aeon\media). Now I startet XBMC and it does cycle through the pics, but it cycles like crazy. Like without a delay. Is there a setting for it? I thought it would just cycle through it if I select another menupoint?

Thanks again,
seb

€dit: D'oh... figured it out. I shouldn't have put the pics in the default_xxx-folder oO...

€dit: Alright, I'm back, having some trouble again.

I now wanted to add my media, starting out with TV-Shows. So, for testing I've got the following folder "H:\tvshows\desperate housewives\season 05". In there I've got .MKV-files named for example "S05E01 - Die Zeit vergeht.mkv" and so on.

Now I start MIP, in Setup and Configuration Options for "Shows" I've added the path "H:\tvshows". Also I've selected "de" as TV Show Language, since I'm from Germany. Now I select "Shows" on the top left and click "Load Shows". Now, if TV Show Language is "de" nothing at all happens. Anyone know why this is?

Well I changed it back to "en" and hit "Load Shows" again. MIP finds the show and the currently 13 episodes, looking like this:

So far, so good. MIP has now added for every episode an .nfo and a .tbn-file, with the same name. The main folder "H:\desperate housewives" contains a fanart.jpg, folder.jpg, a tvshow.nfo and several tbn-files (season00 to season05, season-all).

Now I start XBMC, go to videos, select "add source", "browse", navigate to "H:\Daten\tvshows". When I now go to "TVSHOWS" I just get an empty screen:

What am I doing wrong?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
idiot's guide to aeon?0