High resolution TBN's - will it slow down movie browsing?
Once upon a time I used the now obsolete -big.png naming for the large, high res movie posters. However, now that .TBN's are the only ones supported I was thinking about redoing my thumbnails with better quality ones from getvideoartwork.com.

Was wondering if this would slow down browsing when in showcase? Right now all of my thumbs are around 400 or 300 pixels high. I can hold down the arrow keys and fly through my 2000+ movie collection without any lag. I would like to do this to some degree. Does XBMC automatically cache them in a smaller size?

I did a few already and have noticed that when using the info view they do not seem to be as high of quality as when I used the big.png way. Thanks for any input!
The ones used in the normal browsing views are cached at a smaller size by XBMC, so the original size won't affect scrolling speed.
And you need to save them as movie.tbn for them to show up in their fullscreen glory for the info screen.
yeah .. what they said Smile

basically seems you want to do what i'm doing .. grab nice 1000x1500 from getvideoartwork .. store them as movie.tbn and set your scraper to 512 and you should really have an issue with browsing speed

has anyone actually calculated what the resolution of the biggest poster is (i figure its the one use in showcase view) .. i ask cause if its closer to 300-350 pixels tall it might it might be possible to lower the cached size down from 512 even and improve "browsing" speed even more

i'm just thinking outload here cause potentially in the future with vdpau in the linux branch i'm thinking about possible getting a ion system (intel atom with 9400 nvidia chip capable of decoding 1080p) without a problem and i don't know if atom would be strong enough to do a non-optimized aeon at 1080p
I am saving them as moviename.tbn in the corresponding movie folder. They still don't seem to be as high of quality when viewing in the full screen info view as they used to be when using big.png though.

I am going through my movie database and finding a thumb that needs changed. I then go to getvideoartwork.com and download and save the image and overwrite the current TBN. Then, I go back into XBMC and replace the thumb with the current one. - Is this the correct way of doing this? So will XBMC automatically cache a smaller one for browsing and a larger one for full screen info view?

Thanks for your help guys!
pletopia Wrote:yeah .. what they said Smile

basically seems you want to do what i'm doing .. grab nice 1000x1500 from getvideoartwork .. store them as movie.tbn and set your scraper to 512 and you should really have an issue with browsing speed

has anyone actually calculated what the resolution of the biggest poster is (i figure its the one use in showcase view) .. i ask cause if its closer to 300-350 pixels tall it might it might be possible to lower the cached size down from 512 even and improve "browsing" speed even more

i'm just thinking outload here cause potentially in the future with vdpau in the linux branch i'm thinking about possible getting a ion system (intel atom with 9400 nvidia chip capable of decoding 1080p) without a problem and i don't know if atom would be strong enough to do a non-optimized aeon at 1080p

I think you could have a point regarding adjusting the caching resolution... BUT, this is generally bad practice, since you're optimising 'the model' (the image file) on account of 'the viewer' (the skin). The cache optimised size should be a good size for most if not all skins, and not optimised for Aeon alone. That said, if you're sure you're gonna stick with Aeon... then go ahead!
I doubt it will make that much of an improvement, but every little counts right?
jtap06 Wrote:I am saving them as moviename.tbn in the corresponding movie folder.

There's your problem, the files have to be named "movie.tbn". If your movie folder contains The Matrix.mkv the corresponding tbn has to be named movie.tbn not The Matrix.tbn.
AnalogKid Wrote:The cache optimised size should be a good size for most if not all skins, and not optimised for Aeon alone. That said, if you're sure you're gonna stick with Aeon... then go ahead!

umm .. why exactly would i use anything but aeon at this point Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High resolution TBN's - will it slow down movie browsing?0