[REQUEST] Are there really no Wide Banner icon Mod for Aeon available for TV Shows?
I have figured out some of the issues I will need to solve, and made some progress on this overall project. This is relatively crappy looking but its not a mockup, its actually XBMC running the skin:
This was done by directly modifying 720\Viewtype_WideShowcase.xml.
I had to make 5 "new" modified texture files, which slowed things down a lot because it meant having to reinstall Photoshop and then remember how to do things like alpha channel masking, plus I had to figure out how to use the new resizer tool. Then I spent the last couple hours feeling my way around the code and beginning to understand how it works. The code is beautiful, with almost everything inside of includes. Of course, that makes it way less easy to read.

I believe I have figured out a relatively painless way to cycle to new ViewTypes once they're added.
I changed 720\Includes_ViewSelect.xml, specifically line 68, and added a new line @ line 69.
Code:
Line 68: <onclick>Container.NextViewMode</onclick>
Line 69: <onclick>SetFocus(900)</onclick>

This corresponds to the little "select view" panel that pops up when you go to change the view type. If you simply click on it rather than pressing a direction, it usually would just cancel and go back to the media list. This alters that behavior to cycle the viewmode and then return to the media list. Not very sexy but its the easiest way I could think of to add arbitrary view modes without altering any onscreen graphics or text.

This leads me to the problem I haven't at all figured out yet: adding new ViewModes to the skin. I need to do a little more research on how the skin engine has evolved, since I haven't really done any skinning since like 2006, back when the Xbox version was all I could use. Its soooo much faster / easier to dev with XBMC on the same machine where you do code and graphics! Anyways, I'll try to post my results / ideas.

RWParris, thats kinda what I was thinking for the wide "wall". Not super crazy or anything, just a way to browse at the show level with wide icons. Obviously I'd want to use the same sort of nice shiny / rounded edges style seen on the other icons, but now I have the graphics made to do that, so no problem Smile
Catchy Signature Here
I'd lose the reflections except maybe for the focused banner though.
Looks great but a vertical set would be better.
Nice first attempt keep at it, i'm sure you will figure it outSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
zag2me Wrote:Looks great but a vertical set would be better.

x2biris tried "vertical-izing" the banners to get them to fit his poster only view .. looked like crap imho
Looking at that screenshot there has to come a time when you just have to let it go and seriously think about moving to posters. You can make out what the middle banner is but the rest might as well not be there.

Banners just dont work in a horizonal navigating skin.
hikaricore Wrote:Sorry you set yourself up for that perhaps if you post in a more constructive manner and not rip on the "aeon fanbois".
People might actually give a toss about what you're trying to do and offer some help.

Like they say, you catch more flies with honey coated grenades than vinegar.

p.s. I replied simply because you demanded that I shouldn't.

Good stuff, hikaricore, I always like your posts!
how about putting them in the multiplex view? obviously you'd only be able to see the edges of 2 on either side of the one in focus so for seeing your entire collection together its not really that great. but it would actually kinda work since the width of the thumb in multiplex is basically irrelevant unless it's wider than the whole screen.
Q6600, ASUS P5W, 6GB DDR2 and 2.5TB RAID running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and XBMC
xbox v1.0 (softmod) XBMC Dash
Honestly, I know Aeon is 'moddable' etc etc, but most of these mods don't try to change the core design of Aeon itself, they merely improve functionality in some areas. Aeon is built from the ground up with posters in mind, nothing else. So any attempt to change this core style might work, but its not gonna look 'right'.
I know its probably been said a thousand times before, but if you want to be able to use Aeon to its full potential, you're gonna have to switch to posters.
If you still insist on banners, then realistically, Aeon just isn't the skin for you.
Just my 2 cents...
But the there talking about the tv views right that and that uses landscape thumbs which i might add i like but i used to prefer the wide banners and i have to disagree i think it can be done and not spoil the look of Auriga. besides if you don't like it you don't have to use it.
But for those who do like banners there forced to change all there banners for wide thumbs which is basically small fanart. i just don't understand why people are so against it. just my 2 pounds english sterlings worthSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
I love banners and can't wait for this mod. Only thing holding me back from using Aeon right now.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you Image Read Me First
I love how the aeon culters can’t see any other options other than the ones they are presented with in this skin (in this case limited options and proprietary landscape art) aeon is going to be a moving force in progressing XBMC as a platform, no one can debate that but to complain when someone is working hard to add functionality where there was none so that the skin can appeal to a larger audience is simply ridicules. To say support for banner art will ruin the skins visual appeal is not only incorrect but irrational. Thank you for all your hard work SleepyP, I think your early mockups look good and I look forward to a finished product, even if the devs won’t merge the view into the codebase because of pride. Your experimentation is greatly appreciated and I look forward to a final product. Additionally I think it would be worthwhile to try moding the current multi-plex view to simply accommodate the wide banners, sure you would only se the currently focused banner and ½ of each banner on either side but I think that solution would also be visually pleasing and a easy navigational option for those who already have established XBMC deployments where changing from banner art is simply not an option.

Thanks for all the hard work,
Slice

P.S. if I was not clear with my recommendation of how banner view could be implemented in the currently established multi-plex view see the attached picture. Please forgive my poor mockup; I don’t have Photoshop on this computer so I did it in paint

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=97147...f6e8ebb871
slicemaster Wrote:I love how the aeon culters can’t see any other options other than the ones they are presented with in this skin.

Again if you want anyone to take you seriously stop bitching about what everyone else thinks..
Ranting is not helping you here.
slicemaster Wrote:I love how the aeon culters can’t see any other options other than the ones they are presented with in this skin

I love my new car I bought. It drives really well, but if only it could go on water. Sure I might as well add a protected hull to it, and rudders, and a mast, and a sail. And then I can go in the water with it, and I'll have a nice boat.
Or I could just get a boat.

What I'm saying is that instead of trying to twist and bend Aeon to make it into something its not, why not just use a skin which supports what you need out of the box? Wouldnt this be a much better solution for you all who want banners?
Star 
hikaricore Wrote:Again if you want anyone to take you seriously stop bitching about what everyone else thinks..
Ranting is not helping you here.

i wasn't ranting, and i certainly don't care what a select few here in this section of the forums think. i was simply pointing out the obvious, just like other aeon fanboys like yourself do (Ex. just change you entire media art library and then it will work with aeon perfectly....that is obvious don't offer that up as a solution). other people pointing out the obvious gets a little annoying doesn't it, so if you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread just stay out of it. you don't want banner art support so what does it matter to you?

Slice

P.S. So i guess what all this mean is if stating the facts is ranting then i guess i must be ranting then...just like the fan boys are ranting that nothing else will be officially supported (this is a factual statement based on the Dev's views)...the irony is so thick i can taste it...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Are there really no Wide Banner icon Mod for Aeon available for TV Shows?0