How to name/rename folder.jpg for Music thumbs
If the library is structured
/Music/The Beach Boys/Pet Sounds

should the thumbnail in the Pet Sounds folder be named:
folder.jpg
or
Pet Sounds.jpg

This probably sounds extremely stupid, but I can't find the answer. The few things I have seen (the online manual) seemed to point to the "folder.jpg" answer but
1) This is counter-intuitive to me and
2) I got a script from Doug's Applescripts to take the album art and save it as "enclosing folder's name.jpg," which, for better or for worse, left me with a huge amount of thumbnails named after their enclosing folder. XBMC is scraping some of the artist/album thumbs when I add my Music folder to its database via the iTunes plugin, but it's not finding the thumbs as I have them named.

SO. If the files are literally supposed to be named "folder.jpg" does anybody have a suggestions for a batch renamer that will go recursively through all of these folders and rename every JPG it finds to a certain name?
it needs to be litteral folder.jpg

you can just use a for loop in bash, something like

Code:
for i in `find . -name *jpg`; do mv "$i" "`echo $i | sed -e 's/\/[^\/]*\.jpg$//g'`/folder.jpg"; done

prob better ways but that should work
thanks. that explains things.

i'll try out the bash commands.

is there a way for me to edit the .xml file or something so that *.jpg could be used?
i only ask because as i keep sorting through my music library and getting album art i'm still going to have that same script that names things "enclosing folder name.jpg".

waitaminute. i could edit the applescript...
you can only add other static names.

don't your program support adding the images embedded in the tags?
i thought it did but it only got a few.

if anybody else is in this situation, try Name Mangler

put
.*\.jpg
in the FIND field,
folder.jpg
in the REPLACE field,

Query is a regular expression (checked)
Ignore case (checked)
Preserve extension (unchecked)

and run it across your whole Music directory. (thanks jcap)

i also emailed Doug from Doug's Applescripts to see if he could modify his script to allow for user-defined output.

also thanks, Spiff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to name/rename folder.jpg for Music thumbs0