Zotac ION (NVIDIA 9400 graphics / Atom CPU) Mini-ITX motherboard now shipping
snoxbox Wrote:Wake On Lan and Wake on USB are completely different. Wake on Lan does work.

My typing error. I had meant to write "wake on USB" in my comment.

My original comment corrected. Thanks!
Well, I've just ordered mine from here:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=33190

Can't say Wake-ON-USB fusses me, nor does the fan (Though, I've read loads of reviews and it possible to run without depending on your other cooling). The rest of the features more than made up for it - I've bunged in 4Gb of matched ram. I haven't really decided on an OS yet, but I think I'm gonna see how I get on with XBMC live off a USB stick.

We'll see how it goes!

If they release the new board in the next two weeks then I can always send mine back under the Distance Selling Regulations.
Quote:doesn't it have an "oldschool" ps2 connector?

i would connect an infra-red keyboard and copy some ir-codes into my universal infrared remote.
wake on keyboard should work, i guess.

with this sollution i would have no problems with drivers in any os.

sure, it is a workaround, but it has some sort of benefit.

can anyone test if it possible to wake it up from ps2-keyboard?
i don't mean hybernate or something.
i mean, instead of using the powerbutton.

as far as i know, it can be waked up by lan ... usb doesn't work.
but does it work on ps2?
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Hi,

I have been following the threads about the Zotac board, and the lack of Wake-via USB.

Here is a possible fix:
http://www.origenae.co.kr/downloads/brochures/m10.pdf
http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/accessory_ir211.htm

It seems that this case has an little screen/IR receiver, it plugs into the power and to the power header pins. This *should* mean that you can pull the power on for the computer via a IR command regardless of the USB state.

I am getting keen to buy this M10 case and a Zotac, and running XBMC Live. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Those are some nice cases...
@kortina

this won't work ,if you choose the zotac with external power supply.
you would need the zotac with regular atx-power-connector.
(which isn't available, afaik)

by the way:
zotacs external power connector is a piece of crap.
it consumes 17watt by itself (not plugged into the mobo):

quoting myself from another thread:
Quote:the psu is one of the least things, i thought about, while planning a htpc.

but now, with this 17 watts, i have to send it back to the store.
i'm using my xbox about 2 hours a day.
the rest of the day it stays off (power still plugged in)
it needs nearly 165 watts per day.

the ion-board would take 450 watts.

no way. it makes me sad, but this is definitly a "NO-GO" for me.
and still, i can't believe that it was never mentioned before.

by the way: the asrock ionstar needs 1 watt, when it is OFF.
This might need a new thread... I couldnt start one:

It would really useful if a "Preferred Hardware" list was created.

Just something simple with some basic pro's and cons.

I have been reading these forums for a while now, and also using XBMC on a few different platforms, but still would find it hard to recommend a setup for users based on different needs.

EG:

Platform = XBOX

Pros:
Cheap
Fast boot times
Easy remote support
Lower power (x watts when OFF, y when in use)

Cons:
Noisy (xDB)
No High Definition

Platform = Zotac itx-nVidia9400
Pros:
XBMC Live support
VPADU support
Quiet
Low power

Cons:
no remote on
excessive power consumption when off

It is very difficult for new users to select HTPC hardware to run XBMC on.

I know that people should have a choice, I know that the beauty of open source and linux allows for flexability. But users (even experienced ones) are drowning in choice.

XBOX was so easy, but is getting dated.

I still cant decide on a Zotac or an ASUS ION...
snoxbox Wrote:Wake On Lan and Wake on USB are completely different. Wake on Lan does work.

dumb question, but how do you get WOL to work on the board? I've turned on wake on MAC in the bios, but when i send magic packets to the board it won't turn on from a shut-of state. My desktop computer can turn on from a powered off state when i send it a packet, and Ive verified the MAC address used with the sticker on the connector....do i need to change any other bios settings to get it to work or does it only work in a suspended state?
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
BIOS update for our boards posted today....now features gpu overclock!!!

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=co...Itemid=506
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Evanrich Wrote:dumb question, but how do you get WOL to work on the board? I've turned on wake on MAC in the bios, but when i send magic packets to the board it won't turn on from a shut-of state. My desktop computer can turn on from a powered off state when i send it a packet, and Ive verified the MAC address used with the sticker on the connector....do i need to change any other bios settings to get it to work or does it only work in a suspended state?

You need to enable it at the operating system level too, not only in the BIOS. In windows from device manager, in "properties" of the interface, "power administration" tab, you must enable "allow this device to wake up the computer" (or something like that). In linux, you must run (at every season, this setting is not persistent after power off/power on) the command "ethtool -s eth0 wol g". That is assuming eth0 is the interface you want to awake the computer from. Of course, the user running the script must have enough privileges (i.e., root). I suggest you add the command to one of the start up scripts. If you still have doubts, google "ethtool wol" and there is lots of information about this.
gpu(!) overclock Cool (but let me think... who needs it?)

damn. how can i update my bios when i'm using linux?
donabi Wrote:gpu(!) overclock Cool (but let me think... who needs it?)

Agreed, cpu overclock would be more useful. Does the Zotac IONITX have cpu overclock features in the BIOS?
ion_man Wrote:Agreed, cpu overclock would be more useful. Does the Zotac IONITX have cpu overclock features in the BIOS?

Yes it does. But u can´t set the CPU voltage, only the chipset voltage.
But u can change CPU and RAM speed apart.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ION (NVIDIA 9400 graphics / Atom CPU) Mini-ITX motherboard now shipping0