Fanart for folders is missing....
I have my Xbox setup with media stream using an older build of XBMC (forget which) within my "Movies" folder i have folders for "action" "drama" etc... inside those folders I placed a "fanart.jpg" file and it shows up beautifully as i select each folder...

I just setup a Windows XBMC with all the same settings (copied the same skin from my xbox) connected to the same source as the xbox. The PC is running Build 20253. Problem is that the fanart for the movie category folders does not show up. Am I missing something or was this broken at some point?
it wasn't broken, it was removed on purpose as it slows listings too much.
Once cached it should work though I believe?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

yeah, once cached they should, but they won't be cached without a scan for movies iirc.
oh how horribly sad Sad So I will have to install an old version first just to get this VERY nice functionality going forward?

Question...why remove it instead of making it an option to turn on and off?
Because it's idiotic to look for arbitrary number of fanart images in every subfolder every time you go into a directory.

Once cached they should be displayed I think - feel free to check this out.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I think there is a misunderstanding... it's only 1 image... fanart.jpg

So how do I go about caching the fanart image for a folder manually?
It's not only 1 image. Just because you have only one image, doesn't mean the code was just looking for one. In fact, it was looking for about 60. In any case, that's a moot point, as the feature has been removed until it can be accomplished in a way that isn't ridiculously slow.

Just entering the folder *should* do it, but I have no idea. Scanning your movies into the library should also do it. If they're not movie folders, then I'm not sure if it'll be ever cached.

Nothing is likely to be done about it in the short term, anyway.

Cheers,
Jonathan

kk, Well i will try the work around of installing an old version first.... Sadly going into the folder doesn't get it and I don't use the library so oh well, XBMC for me gets a little less pretty.
What skin are you using btw?

a custom media stream skin with an emphasis on the fanart... this only affects the movies section as I had beautiful 1920 x 1080 fanart for each genre "Action" 'Drama" etc... I was unaware that the code looked for so many..thought it only worked with the one.
I might be able to do something about it if the skin is available (or some other skin is available that has this same feature). I can't (or won't) do anything at all without it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

sure, it's a hack of a skin design for og XBOX's..where would you liek me to post it?

Hey thanks for this... Smile
Just making sure.. Was there anything else you needed from me or needed me to do?
Thanks for fixing this one. I was away due to a death in the family and when I come back this issue is resolved.

YAY!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fanart for folders is missing....0