audio files skipping/choppy
Star 
hey first post. i have been using xbmc for a couple of months now and am now getting to working out the bugs. great stuff and thanks for the efforts. also, my apologies if this issue was posted and resolved; i searched and couldn't find the same issue. (edit: i actually found this thread after i read the log i posted and googled the buffer underun error. feel free to combine them... sory about that. http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48275)

the problem i am having is that random songs will be very choppy during playback in the beginning of the song (first 10 seconds or so...). the rest of the song will be ok. the randomness is not totally random though since if a song will be choppy, the same song is always choppy; i just don't know in advance which songs will be choppy and which won't. the thing is that the songs play completely fine in foobar or wmp.

recently i came upon a flac copy of Led Zeppelin I. every file has the problem. the mp3 re-encoded versions behave exactly the same as well. (it is bizarre but the choppy-ness is identical in the respective songs.) like i said though they play fine in other players.

this happens with library mode on or off, with shuffle on or off, and with any skin. i also tried changing the 'audio output device' from 'primay sound driver' to the sound card specific one, and that didn't change anything either.

here is the one of the songs i have a problem with:
your time is gonna come

now for the details...

1. "Latest" is NOT a revision, of ANYTHING! (See below)
XBMC pre-9.10 r21193 (Compiled : Jun 24 2009)
2. Windows Version + patch level (eg. WinXP SP3 / Vista SP1 / Windows ME (are you mental ?! etc.)
Windows XP SP3 w/ IE8 and WMP11 patched through June 2009
3. CPU/Architecture (make/model and eg. 32 or 64 bit.)
x86 (32-bit) Pentium IV 2.8 GHz w/ HT enabled
4. RAM amount (1 GB, 512MB etc.)
2GB
5. Video Card and Driver version (Intel/Nvidia/etc. version 15.7.8)
ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series, driver version 8.591.0.0
6. Sound Card and Driver version (Sound Blaster/Intel/etc. version 7.8)
Creative SB Audigy, driver version 6.0.1.1370
7. Other devices related to issue (tv, receiver, remote, etc - make/model)
I don't believe any other devices are involved.
8. XBMC Revision (eg. 8.10 Atlantis or SVN 16733)
XBMC pre-9.10 r21193 (Compiled : Jun 24 2009)
9. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)
See above...
10. FULL Debug Log (Please use your favorite paste site! See below.) << NOT OPTIONAL !
I launched xbmc and let the 'media info' load. i then browsed to the song and played it for 30 seconds (it was choppy as hell in the beginning). i then advanced to the next song (shuffle on) to capture the advancing choppiness as well. i let the song song play for 30 seconds, hit stop and exitted xbmc.
the log: http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f291030c4
11. MediaInfo output ( goggle mediainfo for where to obtain it for your platform)
thanks in advance for any advice. if you need more information i will be glad to provide it.

thanks.
i also tried changing the default player to dvdplayer and sometimes it will not skip but will take 20 seconds or more to start each song. other times it skips in the beginning of the song.
Please copy the files to your local machine and repeat the test, so that network issues may be ruled out.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I am having a similar issue. I am using a Mac Mini 2009 and the newest stable download of XBMC.

I am playing my files off of a usb attached drive. When I play them through Itunes everything works fine. But through XBMC I get pauses every 30 or 40 seconds.

When I copy the files locally xbmc works fine but I would like to keep the files located on the attached drive.

If anyone would could help it would be much appreciated.
i know it has been some time but i was waiting to get more things tested out before i reposted, and time has not been kind enough to make enough of itself for me to get to anything.

anyway, i copied the files local and it was fine.
i also plauyed them over the wired lan and it was fine, so since then i have been screwing around with the wireless, changing channels and setting N-only/40Mhz.

i got it to not skip, but it still drops everyonce in a while. i am rebuilding the system now. with all the tweaking on the client end, i f'd something up and want to start fresh.
i am still having the same issue as in the first post, but it is intermittent and it is driving me nuts. some days it is fine, others it skips on every song.

i rebuilt the system with windows 7 rtm. that is the only thing that has changed. here is a new debug log:

http://pastebin.com/f7bad04b6

if it skips it always skips. if it is a day it doesn't want to skip then it doesn't skip. i am running it on wireless. if it is wired or local it does not skip. the thing is i have no wireless issues. my connection is solid and i can transfer files over wireless at up to 6MB/second in either direction. when XBMC is runnning and playing a file over the wireless, the speed never gets anywhere near that, averging around 150KB/second maxing out at 300KB/second.

SO i have tons of bandwidth available. it seems from the logs that i am getting cache buffer underruns. any idea why i get buffer underruns? is there anything i can adjust?
any info on this yet? the issue seems to be related to this error:
Quote:2208.17:38:29 T:4080 M:1699852288 WARNING: CWin32DirectSound::GetSpace - buffer underrun - W:52920, P:47628, O:51228.

this only happens on wireless, and my wireless connection is very strong (11MB/sec file copies from the same place the music is...).

i rebuilt another system with much newer hardware and still have the exact same issues with CWin32DirectSound buffer underruns.

any ideas what i should or need to do in order to make this work? it is driving me nuts. thanks for any help guys. i'd love to get passed this into actually using and customizing the application.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio files skipping/choppy0