How to improve the video performance of the ATV?
First: I love xbmc! Laugh

While watching movies on my TV using the HDMI cable from the ATV to my Full HD TV, I constantly see picture brakes (I don't know how it is called) on quick movements.
E.g. when the Enterprise is flying through the picture, a part of it is already couple centimeters ahead of the rest and it flickers.
I tried to use various resolutions 720p and 1080p in the setup of ATV, but without seeing any difference. It looks like ATV or xbmc is not able to send the picture fast enough to the TV. Maybe because it is doing something that could be turned off. I don't know it.

When I watch the same AVI on my notebook eveything is just perfect. I see a smooth Enterprise flying through the screen.

Does anyone knows how I can improve the quality of the video using xbmc?

Greetings
Thomas
tomek74 Wrote:First: I love xbmc! Laugh

While watching movies on my TV using the HDMI cable from the ATV to my Full HD TV, I constantly see picture brakes (I don't know how it is called) on quick movements.
E.g. when the Enterprise is flying through the picture, a part of it is already couple centimeters ahead of the rest and it flickers.
I tried to use various resolutions 720p and 1080p in the setup of ATV, but without seeing any difference. It looks like ATV or xbmc is not able to send the picture fast enough to the TV. Maybe because it is doing something that could be turned off. I don't know it.

When I watch the same AVI on my notebook eveything is just perfect. I see a smooth Enterprise flying through the screen.

Does anyone knows how I can improve the quality of the video using xbmc?

Greetings
Thomas

"vsync always" enabled ?
davilla Wrote:"vsync always" enabled ?

Hi Davilla,
in Settings - Apearance - Screen - Vertical blank sync is "Disabled". Are you talking about this point?

Thomas
tomek74 Wrote:Hi Davilla,
in Settings - Apearance - Screen - Vertical blank sync is "Disabled". Are you talking about this point?

Thomas

yes.
davilla Wrote:yes.

This is switched off already. I switched it on for testing - it makes it really worse, like you said. :-)
tomek74 Wrote:This is switched off already. I switched it on for testing - it makes it really worse, like you said. :-)

it should be enabled or you will get tearing.

see -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47124
davilla Wrote:it should be enabled or you will get tearing.

see -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47124

Hi Davilla,
I don't really understand why I should turn it on, if you suggested me earlier to turn it off. I have turned it on for testing and the picture was even more shaking.

Is there another switch, that might improve the video quality?
tomek74 Wrote:Hi Davilla,
I don't really understand why I should turn it on, if you suggested me earlier to turn it off. I have turned it on for testing and the picture was even more shaking.

Is there another switch, that might improve the video quality?

'"vsync always" enabled ?' means, Do you have "vsync always" enabled. There's nothing in that statement that says to turn it on or off. It's a question. Is it on or is it off. It's the first step to a systematic approach to debugging your problem.

Search the threads about video tearing and vsync to understand why it should be enabled. If you still have problems, then that's another issue. I've asked for a pastebin of xbmc.log. You give me a snipit so I can't check the other things I would check if you had done a pastebin of the FULL xbmc.log.

The URL I pasted also asks for mediainfo results for the video content you are trying to play.

We don't randomly ask for these things, they can tell important information about your setup and what you are trying to play. Either provided the info or we can't help as our crystal ball is broke and we have stopped guessing.
davilla Wrote:'"vsync always" enabled ?' means, Do you have "vsync always" enabled. There's nothing in that statement that says to turn it on or off. It's a question. Is it on or is it off. It's the first step to a systematic approach to debugging your problem.

The URL I pasted also asks for mediainfo results for the video content you are trying to play.

I am very sorry for the misunderstanding.
I tried it again and set "Vertical blank sync" to "Always enabled" and restarted xbmc.
Now it looks much better.

Here is the MediaInfo I was looking at:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/173181/

Thank you for your help! The video is much better now.
tomek74 Wrote:I am very sorry for the misunderstanding.
I tried it again and set "Vertical blank sync" to "Always enabled" and restarted xbmc.
Now it looks much better.

Here is the MediaInfo I was looking at:
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/173181/

Thank you for your help! The video is much better now.

Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 720 pixels
Frame Height -> 576 pixels
Frame Rate -> 25.000 fps

XBMC on the AppleTV should have no problem play this. 25fps, yep. need vsync on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to improve the video performance of the ATV?0