Smoothvideo ("Sync playback to display" feature) now merged in the mainline branch
If you move the debug slider all the way up in the directx control panel and you select to use the debug libs there you can get directx debug info if you start xbmc in the visual studio debugger.

It does require a debug build of xbmc.

I hate vista.
I'm afraid that's gone right over my head but if you can provide some more details I'll certainly give it a go.

LOL, nice edit.
Hitcher Wrote:The numbers in brackets are the resolution ids found in your guisettings.xml which vary from machine to machine.

It's interesting that you're also having trouble on a Vista set up because that's what I'm running as well.

Hitcher...dont u run an ATI card as well? The 2400 I believe.
Hitcher Wrote:The numbers in brackets are the resolution ids found in your guisettings.xml which vary from machine to machine.

It's interesting that you're also having trouble on a Vista set up because that's what I'm running as well.
Yea it's either Vista or ATI that's messing things up... I tried running XBMC as Admin on Vista aswell but still with the same result...

bobo1on1 Wrote:If you move the debug slider all the way up in the directx control panel and you select to use the debug libs there you can get directx debug info if you start xbmc in the visual studio debugger.

It does require a debug build of xbmc.

I hate vista.
hmm I can't find the directX control panel in Vista No I found it in XP, but everything is already working there so the debug info there won't be much help I guess :confused2:

Is this control panel part of DirectX SDK or something? I also tried opening it via the rundll commandline I got from XP, but Vista just silently ignored my request :mad:

I did run your latest additions though, maybe they can shed some light...
Code:
NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Windows Vista, 64-bit (WoW) Service Pack 1 build 6001.  Built on May 18 2009 (SVN:20403, compiler 1500)
NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 60Hz
   INFO: GUI format 1920x1080 1920x1080 @ 60.00Hz (Full Screen)
  ERROR: unable to load:special://home/skin/Aeon/720p/Pointer.xml, Line 0
   INFO: ffmpeg:     Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x692, PAR 1:1 DAR 320:173, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Setting up Direct3d on monitor \\.\DISPLAY1
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: monitor \\.\DISPLAY1 is adapter 0
  DEBUG: CDVDPlayerVideo::OutputPicture - change configuration. 1280x692. framerate: 23.98
NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz (42)
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 60 hertz
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Clock speed 100.099992%
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 24 hertz
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Displaymode changed
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Cleaning up Direct3d
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Setting up Direct3d on monitor \\.\DISPLAY1
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: monitor \\.\DISPLAY1 is adapter 0
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 24 hertz
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Clock speed 100.099992%
  DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Cleaning up Direct3d
You have to install the directx sdk to get the control panel and run xbmc from the visual studio debugger to get the directx debug info, it will be printed in the output window in visual studio, but only if you do a debug build.

But that only helps with the D3DERR_DEVICELOST, in your case the direct3d is set up ok.

Do you get the same result when you turn off "Sync playback to display" ? Direct3d might be changing the refreshrate back.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You have to install the directx sdk to get the control panel and run xbmc from the visual studio debugger to get the directx debug info, it will be printed in the output window in visual studio, but only if you do a debug build.

But that only helps with the D3DERR_DEVICELOST, in your case the direct3d is set up ok.

Do you get the same result when you turn off "Sync playback to display" ? Direct3d might be changing the refreshrate back.
yea I was afraid of that, don't really wanna bloat down my HTPC with a bunch of build tools Sad

Here are the full logs from my last run:
debug rev 20403
release rev 20403

I'll try sync playback to display disabled tomorrow, gotta get some sleep now, cya!
Is there a way to completely disable Smoothvideo from any sort of functionality because I have been having major issues with Jerky Video ever since it was merged into the svn. Revision 20146 works nicely on my setup but every build thereafter suffers from Jerky video. Enabling Synch playback to the display seems better but still suffers playback issues.

XP SP3
ATI HD 4350
I believe Sync to audio clock should mean it is identical to before.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:I believe Sync to audio clock should mean it is identical to before.

Thanks - That did the trick.
SlaveUnit Wrote:Hitcher...dont u run an ATI card as well? The 2400 I believe.

Yes, that's the one.
jmarshall Wrote:I believe Sync to audio clock should mean it is identical to before.

Yes Audio-side it is the same, but even with this sync methot the video is completely smooth for me. Without smoothvideo merged it was not smooth with the mainbranch. For this audio Sync method you need to use "auto refresh rate" function.

Great work from Bobo1on1 !
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
This is no small feature.
The lack of a smooth video was one of the main reasons that made me use an external on my Windows Setup.

Now it's all smooth again. A HUGE thx to all the devs that made this possible. Specially for bobo1on1!
I don't know if this is any help or not but if I manually change the refresh rate in XBMC to 24Hz before playing a 23.97FPS video and to 50Hz before playing a 25FPS one everything works fine. It's only when the refresh rate is automatically adjusted by XBMC that it fails.

Log for manual refresh rate changes -

http://pastebin.com/f109bd3d5
I think changing the refreshrate at the same time as setting up direct3d is a bad thing, I added something in 20416 which prevents that.
alanwww1 Wrote:Yes Audio-side it is the same, but even with this sync methot the video is completely smooth for me. Without smoothvideo merged it was not smooth with the mainbranch. For this audio Sync method you need to use "auto refresh rate" function.

Great work from Bobo1on1 !
XBMC is unusable when I have selected Synch playback to display

My HTPC box XP SP3 exhibits significant stuttering whilst my Win 7 box is completely out of synch with the audio. Both ATI and nvidia.

Setting to audio clock is as perfect as it was before as long as Synch playback is not selected.
Probably depends on your display and connectivity methods.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smoothvideo ("Sync playback to display" feature) now merged in the mainline branch0