[LIVE] XBMC Live 'HDD Installation' Version with Read Only Removable Media Support?
Lightbulb 
A feature that I would love to see is a Live USB version but that could be installed on a HD (including smalls ones like SSDs and CFs of 1Gb or 2Gb).

The ideia is to mount the HD as read only and use squashfs to mix it with a ram drive (allowing to write temp files).

All the config data that needs to be written, would make a system call to "remount" the card as read-write, write the data and then remount it again as read-only.

In that way, we can simply hard power off XBMC without worring about corrupting the filesystem and without need to wait for fscks (including the periodics ones).

All removable media should be mounted as read-only too to avoid problems.

With a system like this in mind I can imagine another great feature, but I don't known if I can explain right:

When we do an hibernation, the content of RAM is written on the hard drive (as a ordinary file or in a swap partition) and then the system do a power off.

When it's turned on again, the kernel check if there's a hibernation file and if it finds, he restores it back to the ram and then delete this file.

My 2nd suggestion is:

What if we load the system, with all disks mounted as read only and without any peripherical connected (USB Sticks, etc.), then we make an RAM image like hibernation, but without DELETING it after restoring.

In this way, I would have a really fast boot (just the time need to restore RAM image) and with my 1st suggestion we would have a really fast shutdown too!!

I don't know what are the odds of this really work, I don't have the necessary skills to do it myself but I could defenetly help.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] XBMC Live 'HDD Installation' Version with Read Only Removable Media Support?1