• 178(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
Just FYI for anyone looking at the implementation of LIVE streams in this…
Yes, it has been done in the "other" iPlayer plugin but their implementation is NOT working on Android Sad
This may have to do with how they've implemented, or maybe Android can't play f4m streams full stop.

There were suggestions earlier in this thread (and on this plugin's code issues page - issue 157) about using Sharni's f4mproxy stuff, afaik this is used in Dailymotion and in Jonc's MX BBC Player on hub, as well as, possibly, in others.
So, I'm wondering if anyone could check out whether these other plugins are or aren't capable of playing f4m streams on Android devices.

Would be great to find a way to implement that worked consistently across all oses.

Anyway, for now the plugin is just great, although I have noticed the ION API has been around since 2008, so I hope they're not going to shut it down anytime soon! Sad

EDITED TO ADD: Have tested Jonc's MX BBC player myself, on Android, and it works just fine, so this implementation (Sharni's F4MProxy) should be fine)
(2014-11-11, 14:30)streetsy Wrote: Just FYI for anyone looking at the implementation of LIVE streams in this…
Yes, it has been done in the "other" iPlayer plugin but their implementation is NOT working on Android Sad
This may have to do with how they've implemented, or maybe Android can't play f4m streams full stop.

There were suggestions earlier in this thread (and on this plugin's code issues page - issue 157) about using Sharni's f4mproxy stuff, afaik this is used in Dailymotion and in Jonc's MX BBC Player on hub, as well as, possibly, in others.
So, I'm wondering if anyone could check out whether these other plugins are or aren't capable of playing f4m streams on Android devices.

Would be great to find a way to implement that worked consistently across all oses.

Anyway, for now the plugin is just great, although I have noticed the ION API has been around since 2008, so I hope they're not going to shut it down anytime soon! Sad

EDITED TO ADD: Have tested Jonc's MX BBC player myself, on Android, and it works just fine, so this implementation (Sharni's F4MProxy) should be fine)
Live on the "other" iPlayer add-on is not working for Apple tv either.
I have been using The MX BBC and others by Jonc that use F4m for a few months now and they seem to play on all devices .
For some you need to update the librtmp file.
It would be great to have all the Uk terrestrial channels on one add on.

Thank you.
Regarding api speed/timeouts, I'm likely going to look into using the Json api that android uses thanks to some useful pointers I received via pm and earlier in the thread. I'll post an update when I have some news
Firstly, thanks very much to everyone who has made the iplayer add-on work. I really appreciate it.

Since 0.0.7, the "other" iplayer live streams have been working on my Android box. I'm using mabs' xbmc 13.2 apk with Red Penguin's updated librtmp from 30/08/2014, if that makes any difference.
(2014-11-11, 12:29)djpudsey Wrote: As I'm a big user of Radio 3 and have had the same problem of listing requests timing out at the server I've been having a look at this problem and have suggestion for a fix - very buggy at the moment, but it does get me the Radio 3/4 listings okay. The trick is to add a date param to the request url (eg add /date/2014-11-11) and make multiple requests, one for the current day and the previous 7 days and stack the returned xml together for parsing. This doesn't seem to cause a problem with the parser for the radio listings (but seems not to work as expected for tv listings - gives a truncated list of episodes). My test hack is in the function read_rss() in iplayer2.py

Thanks for that. I investigated the same scheme and found that the date filters are usable for R3/R4/WS, but they cause the problems with other channels that you found. I think what is happening is the date filters are applied against the original broadcast dates for programmes, so a lot of repeats get screened out. Therefore, you see episode counts for channels like CBBC and R4X greatly reduced. The date filters probably work OK for R3/R4/WS (and most other radio channels) because you don't get a whole lot of repeats. Using the date filters is the only way I've found to get more or less full listings for R3/R4/WS with category information included. I don't think that matters for this plugin, though.
The MX BBC Player by Jonc which works with f4m streams has stopped working.
The streams connect but just a black screen and no sound.
BBC News and Parliament still work.

All working perfectly again now.
I've made some proposed changes (patch files on https://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2...rt=&id=157)

This brings back the ability to watch Live TV from the plugin. There are quite a few changes - BBC1, 2 and 3 have HD streams available up to 3.5Mbit/s, so I've added a setting to enable you to select the stream quality for live TV separately from the stream quality for catch-up.

Also, I got a bit confused with the version numbering - I THOUGHT that the last version I had was 2.6.4, so I bumped to 2.6.5. But when a did a Subversion checkout, addon.xml gave me 2.6.3 ?

I'll let someone with a couple more braincells than I have functioning today sort it out :-)
thanks.

The last version is 2.6.3 - however Hitcher added some new gfx and bumped the version on his repo. I'm hoping he will submit the new gfx to the project for inclusion, and then host an unmodified release. When submitting patches the version number should be left alone - or we will have the problem of people distributing multiple unofficial releases with various version numbers. It is confusing for end users.
Yeah, my fault sorry about that - I was just glad to get a working version out.

I really don't have the time to learn how to submit patches though so I'll just pull out for now and leave you guys alone. Wink

Thanks.
Just open an issue and attach the new gfx? Smile
That easy?

OK, give me a day or 2.
dlake02 can you link to your modified addon , Im afraid Im not managing to make the patches work. ?
Thank you
Dlake02 and exobuzz, you rock!!! Thank you for bringing it back to life.
sqig - can we let exobuzz update and release please. If I send out a new version, it will cause confusion....
@dlake02
Have manually intoduced the patches but the live streams do not work here.
What works:
a new category 'Watch Live'; under that a list from 'BBC One HD' to 'BBC Alba'; with the mouse over an entry in the list the channel's logo appears.
What does not work:
clicking a channel has no effect. After trying a few, the error message appears 'One or more items failed to play. Check the log file for details'.
(XBMC 13.2 of Nov. 8). The log file shows that the URLs that were tried do not answer. E.g.:
CurlFile::Open(0x7f7cb009a9a0) http://vs-hds-uk-live.edgesuite.net/pool...00000.m3u8
ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP response code said error(22)

Further analysis reveals that the problem may be in the invocation of the stream reproduction process. In the case of a live stream the proxy setting is ignored. It is essential for many though.
  • 178(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13