• 33(current)
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
Hi

I've followed the various instructions to get the "get_iplayer" version of this hack working with the xbmc IPlayer plugin.

Unfortunately something is not quite right - I wondered if anyone could spot the problem easily.

From XBMC when I select a programme to watch via IPlayer I get a message "Failed to playback" (or sometimes no error at all and just doesn't play) and I can see more details via the logs:

When running get_iplayer on port 1935 and observing the console I see:

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 85855
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 0.00%), try resuming
INFO: 28522 killing cmd PID=28521 with SIGPIPE

Also in the xbmc.log I see entries like:

20:25:58 T:2977229680 M:1201557504 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://localhost:1935/iplayer?ACTION=stream&PROGTYPES=tv&PID=b00s1tpp&MODES=flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd&STREAMTYPE=none>

When I open that URL via Firefox on the same linux box it works fine...

This happens for any of the programmes I select.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

I have the latest version of the IPlayer plugin and a recent version of XBMC.
Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to use the patch based way to get this working ?

James
timbostop Wrote:I've followed the various instructions to get the "get_iplayer" version of this hack working with the xbmc IPlayer plugin.

Unfortunately something is not quite right - I wondered if anyone could spot the problem easily.

From XBMC when I select a programme to watch via IPlayer I get a message "Failed to playback" (or sometimes no error at all and just doesn't play) and I can see more details via the logs:

When running get_iplayer on port 1935 and observing the console I see:

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 85855
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 0.00%), try resuming
INFO: 28522 killing cmd PID=28521 with SIGPIPE

Also in the xbmc.log I see entries like:

20:25:58 T:2977229680 M:1201557504 ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://localhost:1935/iplayer?ACTION=stream&PROGTYPES=tv&PID=b00s1tpp&MODES=flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd&STREAMTYPE=none>

When I open that URL via Firefox on the same linux box it works fine...

This happens for any of the programmes I select.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

I have the latest version of the IPlayer plugin and a recent version of XBMC.
Hmmm. Sounds like the problem I have with the same workaround (except using a separate linux (Mythbuntu) server running the get_iplayer.cgi and Xbox running XBMC). This solution was working fine for me until just before easter when I spotted it failing (see this thread five pages back). I went away for a break, just got back and confirm that it's still broken. Not easy to get debug time - family busily using the Xbox to watch Myth recordings of various rubbish they recorded whilst we were away. Your symptoms look very similar.
A working patch for iplayer 2010-03-05 that uses the latest librtmp syntax which can do SWF Verification, Secure Token authentication.

Tested with linux build today and it works. Please read the following thread thoroughly especially post number 10
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=517288

librtmp can be found here:
http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/

My post is in number 17 which tells you how to apply the patch (in trac).

Not sure if the librtmp code can be compiled under windows/mac.
Anyone want to share a build?
Hitcher Wrote:Anyone want to share a build?

I only built/tested under linux and not sure the latest librtmp will even build under windows without modification.

If you have a mediocre linux machine it will take about half an hour to build at most. However the patch for iplayer should work for all platforms. If you wait enough the latest librtmp will eventually get merged into xbmc.
s7mx1 Wrote:I only built/tested under linux and not sure the latest librtmp will even build under windows without modification.

If you have a mediocre linux machine it will take about half an hour to build at most. However the patch for iplayer should work for all platforms. If you wait enough the latest librtmp will eventually get merged into xbmc.

Yes, librtmp builds perfectly well on Windows, using MinGW.
haven't read the whole thread - but is there hope that this plugin could work again on the xbox with a direct network connection, as it used to? thanks..
Smiff Wrote:haven't read the whole thread - but is there hope that this plugin could work again on the xbox with a direct network connection, as it used to? thanks..
Read exobuzz's posts.
spicemuseum Wrote:Hmmm. Sounds like the problem I have with the same workaround (except using a separate linux (Mythbuntu) server running the get_iplayer.cgi and Xbox running XBMC). This solution was working fine for me until just before easter when I spotted it failing (see this thread five pages back). I went away for a break, just got back and confirm that it's still broken. Not easy to get debug time - family busily using the Xbox to watch Myth recordings of various rubbish they recorded whilst we were away. Your symptoms look very similar.
Finally got time to look into this a little.
Noted root ownership and permissions on the following on the server
Code:
/home/spice/.swfinfo  root:root  -rwxr--r--
and
Code:
/home/spice/.get_iplayer/  root:root  -rwxr--r--
Broadened out the permissions to 777 to see whether it made a difference and it all (well, Timmy Time) magically came to life on the XB0X. Not going to bother investigating further unless I spot any more problems.
spicemuseum Wrote:Finally got time to look into this a little.
Noted root ownership and permissions on the following on the server
Code:
/home/spice/.swfinfo  root:root  -rwxr--r--
and
Code:
/home/spice/.get_iplayer/  root:root  -rwxr--r--
Broadened out the permissions to 777 to see whether it made a difference and it all (well, Timmy Time) magically came to life on the XB0X. Not going to bother investigating further unless I spot any more problems.
Feels abit like a stream of consciousness in this thread, but anyway, of the seven Timmy Time episodes currently on iPlayer, four play and three don't. Perhaps the get_iplayer file permissions thing was a total red herring. Crazy.
With respect to the people who came up with the workround it isn't really that useable.

We need patched builds with swf verification
dc2447 Wrote:With respect to the people who came up with the workround it isn't really that useable.

We need patched builds with swf verification

What platform are you using Dave? I use XBOX and exobuzz's XBMC modified build works just like the old days with the normal iplayer plugin. I just copied the modified build to a separate folder and run the default.xbe from within my normal build then launch the iplayer plugin (I tweaked the modd'ed build to launch straight to the iplayer plugin using the normal XBMC options to change default home location). I could go one step further and create a shortcut within the normal build to the modded builds default.xbe - but just haven't bothered. The launch and startup of XBMC on XBOX is very fast so it's no bother doing the above - adds about 15 secs to getting to iplayer.

Link to exobuzz's modded build page in his personal page

http://forum.xbmc.org/member.php?action=...e&uid=1188

Cheers
sipart Wrote:What platform are you using Dave? I use XBOX and exobuzz's XBMC modified build works just like the old days with the normal iplayer plugin. I just copied the modified build to a separate folder and run the default.xbe from within my normal build then launch the iplayer plugin (I tweaked the modd'ed build to launch straight to the iplayer plugin using the normal XBMC options to change default home location). I could go one step further and create a shortcut within the normal build to the modded builds default.xbe - but just haven't bothered. The launch and startup of XBMC on XBOX is very fast so it's no bother doing the above - adds about 15 secs to getting to iplayer.

Link to exobuzz's modded build page in his personal page

http://forum.xbmc.org/member.php?action=...e&uid=1188

Cheers

Cheers - I'm running a stable build out of the karmic repo so I don't want to go to an svn build really - I know I could patch myself but basically I am waiting for swf verification to hit upstream first.

edit: actually I'll probably upgrade anyways, Boxee iplayer is not great
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)13