[LIVE] Possible to add full desktop enviroment to XBMC Live installation?
Is it possible to add a desktop environment to a xbox live install? I used the live version to install onto my hard drive. Here is my reasoning and I am a complete Linux newb. When I install the live version, all of my stuff works (sound, graphics, etc). When I install ubuntu manually, I can not get my sound to work out of my spdif port. I can only get sound out of an analog port even when I select the one digital sound device it seems to install. I can't find the drivers to install to make it work and thought it might be easier to just install a desktop environment to an already installed xbmclive install. Also, I am looking to enable samba sharing and have no clue on how to do this from a live install as I can't even seem to access the linux terminal. Please help or tell me if I am in the wrong area.

I am using a p35p2 shuttle barebones kit I built upon if you need to know make/model of motherboard.
Well adding a desktop enviornment kindof voids the whole idea of a XBMC Live version Smile It's only meant to be used in HTPC. You have fluxbox on it though which is useable on safe, but I bet that's not what your after.

Your sounds issues on spdif is probably because of pulseaudio on normal ubuntu so you could try for instance, xubuntu or kubuntu which doesn't use PulseAudio but rather just alsa like XBMC Live.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for curing my bad case of sound jones' with a dose of awesomeness. Just what I needed. Downloading now.

On a side note, Ubuntu is my first experience with linux since the days of Redhat 3 or 4 and linux has progressed into a pretty badass os.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51713

Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Possible to add full desktop enviroment to XBMC Live installation?0