[LINUX] Hardware Feedback
Hello all...

After much research I've ordered my XBMC front end equipment and I'd like community feeback regarding my choices. Any hints/advice the community could provide would be great.

Case:
Moneual LAB MonCaso 312B

MoBo:
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

PSU:
Enermax Modu82+

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

RAM:
Kingston KVR800D2N6/1G x 2 (total 2 gigs)

HDD:
OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTX30G

DVD:
LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD burner

There are other assorted parts.

So what do you guys think? My goal is to be able to run 1080p content to my Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV. Any hints/tips/tricks?

Thanks peeps!
RMD78 Wrote:Hello all...

After much research I've ordered my XBMC front end equipment and I'd like community feeback regarding my choices. Any hints/advice the community could provide would be great.

Case:
Moneual LAB MonCaso 312B

MoBo:
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H

PSU:
Enermax Modu82+

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

RAM:
Kingston KVR800D2N6/1G x 2 (total 2 gigs)

HDD:
OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTX30G

DVD:
LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD burner

There are other assorted parts.

So what do you guys think? My goal is to be able to run 1080p content to my Samsung LN52A750 LCD TV. Any hints/tips/tricks?

Thanks peeps!

This setup is complete overkill for 1080p. With VDPAU, the decoding is offloaded to the GPU. You could run an ATOM chip and still decode 1080p perfectly.
I went a little higher end on the hardware because I'm def. a Linux noob and if I can't get this setup to run Linux the way I want I'm going to fall back to windows.

Wish me luck...I hope I don't pull out all my hair trying to get this just the way I want it.

Thanks for the feedback though DeanM3.
RMD78 Wrote:I went a little higher end on the hardware because I'm def. a Linux noob and if I can't get this setup to run Linux the way I want I'm going to fall back to windows.

Wish me luck...I hope I don't pull out all my hair trying to get this just the way I want it.

Thanks for the feedback though DeanM3.

FYI. I also run a 9300 IGP and I put a E5200 ( over $100 less than the E8400 ) and it runs 1080p in software no problem in windows. If heat / power are of concern to you, you can get away with a less power hungry cpu
I wouldnt be so afraid of Linux. Start with XBMC live and it should work right out of the box. Theres tons of tutorials on this forum and all over the web for anything else that comes up.

That CPU seems like compleate overkill with VDPAU, if youve already bought it id recommend under clocking it to keep heat/power down. Otherwise the E5200 is a great idea.

Also why the large higher end power supply? With a SSD and integrated graphics you could almost get away with one of those PicoPSU's.
Thanks for the suggestion DeanM3. I checked with Newegg about changing my order and unfortunately it's too far along in the process according the customer service rep. Oh well, maybe next time since my friend wants me to build him one when I have the tech down.

AllanMar, I will take your suggestion about under clocking the cpu to reduce heat and power requirements. Should have posted my hardware list to the forum before pulling the trigger. Oh well, live and learn. At least I'll have plenty of overhead should I decide to do something different with the chip.

Thanks again guys/gals

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Hardware Feedback0