[LINUX] HTPC config for XBMC for Linux with VDPAU?
Question 
My xbox finally died on me so I'm looking to replace it with a htpc using xbmc + vdpau. I'd like to use HDMI for video and audio out. Does anyone have any feedback on the below config? (foreseeable problems with hdmi audio etc?). Thanks!

LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

MSI G41M-FD LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
128-bit Memory, Low Profile w/ Native HDMI Port

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply

WD 1TB HDD

ASUS OEM DVD Burner
I can comment on most of your choices.

Case - When I first built my HTPC, I had the same case, but then decided to swap it out for this one and I'm glad I did. Much better quality, about the same size as my HD Tivo and the best part is it looks like it belongs with the rest of my theater equipment. Cool I'd take the reviews with a grain of salt, I can vouch that the case is fine with the mobo I'm using below.

HDD - I have 4 of the WD 1 TB Green drives in a RAID5, they work perfect.

Mobo and Video Card - I originally had an ASUS mobo (with onboard Intel graphics...suck) and a ASUS GeForce card. When I swapped out the case, I decided to go with this mobo and would highly recommend it. Nod I've got 4 GB of GSKILL RAM in it and the onboard video works great. (You can bump it up to 512 in the BIOS).
For about the same as what you'd be paying for the separate mobo, vid card and power supply, you could get this mobo and the case above.It's something to think about.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit - forgot to mention that I'm not using HDMI for audio, I'm using the optical out of the mobo and it works fine. Also, I just noticed that your Newegg links were to the Canada site, note that mine are to the US site.
Here's the links to case and mobo on the Canada site.

mobo

case

So you'd be paying just under $40. more for this mobo and case comapred to the case, mobo, vid card and power supply you have in your list. Like I said, I'm extremely happy with my setup and I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
I just received that mb from newegg and am waiting on my foxconn rs233 (US link). Im trying to decide if I am going to install Ubuntu or ArchLinux now...

Funny thing is, the rs233 case isnt on the CA site and my case is coming in from Ontario.
Cool, thanks for the feed back. I think I'd prefer the igp route too. I considered the Gigabyte GA-E7UAM-DS2H mobo and the Zotac one you mentioned above... are you getting your audio through hdmi - any problems with that? Any particular reason you chose the Zotac? was it purely for mini itx? I'm assuming it can handle all the 1080p you can throw at it? Smile
Aenima99x -- you manage to get the LCD on your case working in linux?
kayex Wrote:Aenima99x -- you manage to get the LCD on your case working in linux?

I honestly haven't tried yet. I know there are several posts about doing it though. After I got everything configured, I got too busy playing with VDPAU and Aeon haha. Maybe I'll try this weekend.
Aenima99x Wrote:I honestly haven't tried yet. I know there are several posts about doing it though. After I got everything configured, I got too busy playing with VDPAU and Aeon haha. Maybe I'll try this weekend.

Cool, thanks Aenima. I ended up buying the same case... Micro Fusion Remote 350... you're right, great quality case - just enough room for everything, looks great with the other equipment. The only issue I have is with the LCD - it always stays on - even with the system power off. Have you figured out a way around that without completely disconnecting it?
kayex Wrote:Cool, thanks Aenima. I ended up buying the same case... Micro Fusion Remote 350... you're right, great quality case - just enough room for everything, looks great with the other equipment. The only issue I have is with the LCD - it always stays on - even with the system power off. Have you figured out a way around that without completely disconnecting it?

When running linux does the intergated IR receiver on the Fusion Remote 350 work out of the box? Did you try and use that IR receiver with the original the original xbox DVD remote? Out of the box was there any other issues with IR and linux?
buster Wrote:When running linux does the intergated IR receiver on the Fusion Remote 350 work out of the box? Did you try and use that IR receiver with the original the original xbox DVD remote? Out of the box was there any other issues with IR and linux?

Haven't had a chance to install the OS yet Wink
I'm currently using MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB on ubuntu on a sony 42" xbr. HDMI out running i970 with 4gigs or ram. It seems that the video card cannot draw fast enough. When playing video, there is a clear/transparent line running across the screen when playing any type of video. Its annoying. I believe this has to be the video card. The video card can't keep up probably cuz its a low-end graphic card.

I'm going to borrow another higher end card with hdmi out from a friend to confirm if it is the video. If you guys can suggest another card for me, that would be great.
a core i970 with 4 gigs of ram? Wow! I think I've never seen such an oversized and overpowered HTPC!

The card is fine, or at least should be fine. I'm doing Full HD with no troubles using and Atom 330 + Nvidia ION, which is a 9400 series card. Check you setup.
churasi Wrote:I'm currently using MSI N94GT-MD512 GeForce 9400 GT 512MB on ubuntu on a sony 42" xbr. HDMI out running i970 with 4gigs or ram. It seems that the video card cannot draw fast enough. When playing video, there is a clear/transparent line running across the screen when playing any type of video. Its annoying. I believe this has to be the video card. The video card can't keep up probably cuz its a low-end graphic card.

I'm going to borrow another higher end card with hdmi out from a friend to confirm if it is the video. If you guys can suggest another card for me, that would be great.

A 9400 GT is more than enough for 1080p, but that actually card might be dying.

If that is the case, replace it with a newer 2x0 GT card.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HTPC config for XBMC for Linux with VDPAU?0