Do I need a faster CPU or just different settings?
Question 
Babylon 9.04
Windows 7 RC1
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 45W 2.5GHz Dual-Core
2GB RAM
ASUS M3A78-EM
AMD Radeon HD 3200
MediaInfo Output
Debug Log

Situation:

Having trouble playing many 1080p movies. When I push "O" during playback, frames are dropping consistently and both cores are usually between 85% and 95%. This led me to believe I had too slow of a CPU. I overclocked it to 3.0 GHz and tried again. The exact same thing happens, dropping frames and maxed out CPU. I was just gonna buy a new CPU but the fastest AMD offers is 3.2 GHz, and it's just hard for me to believe that that will fix the problem since overclocked at 3.0 Ghz seemed to struggle just as much as when it was at factory 2.5 GHz.

I included above a debug log of an example of one movie it really struggles on, as well as the mediainfo (although it struggles with most 1080p). Can someone take a look and tell me if I need a new CPU, or if there is some setting I need to change to get it to play? Thanks.
I had similar problem with VC1 encoded files, what kind of files are they that you are trying to play?
Well I'd love to just tell you everything but there are so many different types I try to play that struggle. If you check the MediaInfo Output link I gave, that's just one example.

If someone with a CPU that seems to play 1080p just fine would like to try this file, please PM me with your email address.
Ive have the same motherbord and CPU and babylon. But i have xp insted.

Settings in ATI catalyst

I have resolution 1280x720 60 hz
vertical sync should be on on all times.

In XBMC

System/video/player
Render method Auto
Adjust frame rate Unchecked
High quality upscaling Disabled

Ive have no problems with 1080p movies. and my CPU load is about 50%
Ok great, I will try those settings when I get home. Would you mind trying this same file to see if you get the same CPU load? If so, please PM me. If the difference is XP, then I will regretfully switch.
try xbmc r19951 from smoothvideo branch
it works for me with no dropped frames
with normal svn builds i got dropped frames in every build since babylon alpha1 No
I have the same CPU, with XP. I don't have any 1080p content to check with (must download some Big Grin ), as my TV is only 720p anyways, but I've heard that the 4850e has a bit of trouble maintaining frames at 1080p, unless its overclocked a good bit. Seeing as you have done that, it could possibly be some other setting messing it up. As usual, i'd suggest posting a debug log, and one of the more intelligent members than I should be able to help you better.

Sorry, debug log is posted, I fail Big Grin
Debug log is posted in OP
Try the killa sample ...
Wildonrio, I've got pretty similar setup to yours. 4850e processor, M3A78-EM board, but using the onboard NVidia chipset. I'm also getting problems with some 1080 mkv's. Not all, but a few I've got hold of recently alerted me to this problem. I thought everything was sweet before that Sad

Initially I thought it was a network bandwidth issue but then I copied the MKV onto the local machine and tried it... no luck.

When I bring up the "O" window whilst playing I notice that it starts to get up around 85% cpu and that's when it starts dropping frames.

I'm actually running a slightly older version of XBMC so this weekend I thought I would completely rebuild my machine with Windows 7 RC, very latest XBMC and see how I go. I'l let you know if I can resolve this issue (but unfortunatly I think really high bitrate 1080mkv's are going to be a problem for the moment.

So let me know, have you worked this one out?

Cheers,
Kym
had the same problem with xmbc 9.04 on XP (sp3) on AMD x2 6000+, 2gb ram, 2tb hd, and ATI graphiccard.

solution for me was:

disable the vertical sync in setting from "always" to "video only"...if you check any other setting than "always" one should notice a drop in cpu fan activity immediantly (at least in my case).

give this a try

bsd: didnt recongince any drop in quality yet...but sys runs now smoother..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do I need a faster CPU or just different settings?0