Auto Scan for New Content in the background - Constantly keeping library up-to-date?
thanks for the reply, i will try that out. its abit more intensive than it needs to be, but looks like it will work.
ok that works perfectly, but its a poor work around, shame the devs dont seem to think this is worth while.

guess ill just have to put up with the updating status bar and it checking every hour regardless of if it needs to or not.

but thanks alot
This thread has been moved, yet clearly the dev doesnt have an automated setup, so you dont know when new content is added hence having to update everytime you come to the xbox.
okay,

radio, you wanted to provoke me, guess what. you've succeeded.
you're obviously not capable of using that puny excuse for a brain of yours for anything but being stupid. just because i dont agree with other ppl's opinions all the time doesnt mean i dont give usability consideration. i'm not even gonna start listing ideas i have
1) agreed with
2) IMPLEMENTED. you know. the thing that actually matters.

fyi. the video library has exactly 2 features which isnt my work. and even with it being 99% my brainchild, i have always stated PATCH WELCOME. i have NEVER rejected a patch (none of the whopping 3 i have received) so dont you come here saying i'm not open for other ppls opinions. but you cannot (well, you obviously can). let me rephrase that. any SANE human being would understand that you CANNOT expect me to implement something i dont agree with.

anyways, truth of it is that i've had it with this "community" consisting of 20 skilled ppl along with thousands of ungrateful arseholes like radio. i'm done.
spiff, don't let idiots like radio drive you away. I am sure you are well aware of the fact that there are thousands of people who LOVE your work. I ONLY use the library. It is by far the best part of XBMC for me (I don't play games and I hardly ever listen to music). I realize that not enough people come here and tell you guys what a great job you do but they all are VERY happy you do it!

I have to admit, at first I thought you were a crabby guy but after spending some time here reading some of the crap people put, I very QUICKLY understood. Actually, I love to read your comments. Especially if they ask a question that has been answered in the wiki. (I have done that myself Blush)

All I am saying is, please don't let the dumb asses like radio get to you. If you want, we will start a who loves the library thread and I am sure there will be more than enough support. Big Grin

J_K_M_A_N
Seriously, all the attitude towards the devs is ridiculous. Did you pay for XBMC? no. Did you pay any of the devs anything, for them to hear your ideas out over their own? no. Like Spiff said and always says "Patch Welcome". What that basically means (in case you misunderstand) is that he doesn't think the feature is necessary enough for him to devote his personal time to implement. But if you can find someone who has the knowledge and the resources to do so, he's willing to accept the patch on his own work. Please for the sake of everyone who uses XBMC give them a break!!
thanks,
A happy user of something that's never given enough credit.
Big Grin 
J_K_M_A_N Wrote:we will start a who loves the library thread and I am sure there will be more than enough support. Big Grin
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=29407

Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Indeed, im very grateful for the library mode...

if you saw the way my setup works, you would see why the feature would be required (but its hard to explain without actually seeing it, but soon as you used it you would be like "that needs automating!")

Anyway, with some help from forum members im using a work around (script that updates in a set interval and later i will attempt to remove/move off screen the library update progress bar)
I agree. The library is by far the best feature. I also love streaming dvds with menus and all. Of course things can always get better, but we have to accept if a dev does not feel like it and don't hasstle them. If spiff do leave it will be a huge loss and I'll hold radio while others.... hmmm full metal jacket style?
I can certainly see the use of background scanning, during the autumn season I am currently downloading around 40 different TV shows so am constantly moving data over to my NAS, but pressing the 'update library' once a day really isnt a biggy.

I might sort out the script to run it on boot as I dont leave the box running all day.
Well looks like i need to Break The Ice as they say...

Well done 'radio' you have now officially been tagged with the name "PRICK!"

When you appear from under that rock you crawl from mind not to bump your head... the last thing we need is to lose a valuable/contributing user like yourself!
Oh Spiff, don't leave us please. The majority of us respect your views and your work, and love what xbmc is. Just ignore the "PRICKS!" out there. I personally love the library mode. It wasn't until i read from you guys "1st of all, if your not using library mode, WHY NOT!??!Huh" and sat down and took some time to set it up, and REALLY do see the big advantages to using it now. Which before, some things didn't match so i really didn't use it much except for movies mode. Now i use it for everything (well, about to start using it with music too.)

Hope you don't really plan on leaving though. We appreciate all your hard work into xbmc. And i know how people can be when they criticize work because a lot of the time they are either doing something wrong themselves, or they don't fully understand things. It's easier with xbox's, it always either setting up, or configs (IE-User error) since the hardware is the same, but just configuring some things on the user end isn't done right.
As a former Meedio user I'm used to schedules for updating my libraries on my computer. I realize that XBMC can update on startup but it seems to me that most people running XBMC probably have out of date libraries on their system. Is it possible to have it check every hour or so for new media? I find myself using the file browser more often due to this issue.
ATM there's no mechanism built into xbmc to schedule events. However, I believe there is a script to handle this. Try searching the script/plugin forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Scan for New Content in the background - Constantly keeping library up-to-date?0