Delay on Background images displaying?
Lightbulb 
I'm sure I posted this before but can't seem to find it.

I have put some custom images in the background folders. I have tried 2MB images and 20k images, this makes no difference, I've also tried 3 images and 30.

On most menu selections the background starts Black (blank) and after 10 seconds a random image will appear for 10 seconds then black 10 seconds another image...

If an image appears and I go up one menu selection and straight back down a new image will appear straight away every time but still a 10 second delay in changing after it goes black..??

Just some nice screenies Big Grin
~ Make hay while the sun shines ~ CHS
I found something that has sped this up a little and I'm sure must have been a cause for some of the delay. It was the screen shots above that gave me the idea.. they are 720 across.. the TV supports and I had made all the background images 1080. So I supposed it had to parse the image before displaying it?

This is a new TV and it was set to 16:9 which I presume defaulted to 720 across as when I changed it to 'original' the background image appeared shrunk at first then filled the screen.

The inages are now loading a lot better in PM3.HD and MediaStream.. although the transition is still > Image disappears > Pause 5 seconds black > Image fades in > Image disappears > etc...
Under new versions of PM3.HD and XBMC (i.e. revision 20400 or so and above) it'll be smooth as silk.

MS will not be smooth until it's rewritten to take care of the new background loading of images.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Smile 
jmarshall Wrote:Under new versions of PM3.HD and XBMC (i.e. revision 20400 or so and above) it'll be smooth as silk.

MS will not be smooth until it's rewritten to take care of the new background loading of images.

Thank you. So it is a skin issue, I've moved back to PM3 so I'll make sure I'm running the latest build. I do like MS but there are too many little glitches that make it quite annoying (for the Xbox), shame I can't upgrade the Xbox memory.

[EDIT] Have downloaded Update for Build #20523 - Updated on 5/21/2009 4:40:34 PM - Do I just upload this unpacked and overwrite files? (backup of course)
Xbox may not have the necessary changes merged yet - I don't know.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Well they seem to be loading quicker when I run up the menu items although it still skips, as in if the image for videos loads.. music won't then Pictures will.. and it doesn't change now, it just stays on the same image, going back to that menu item will bring up a new random image.

It's strange there seem to be less on screen for Mediastream to deal with yet t runs slower, the fact you can return to the main screen and still have video playing in the background with PM3 is nice.. just seems to have much more.. I reckon if it had the 'Media preview' for movies I'd give up the slick look of MS and stick with it. Big Grin

..oh the choice.

Cheers JM
jmarshall Wrote:Under new versions of PM3.HD and XBMC (i.e. revision 20400 or so and above) it'll be smooth as silk.

Was thinking about this and not sure it'll work with MS since MS splits the background images because of the layering needed for the submenus etc.

A while back you talked about having a way to make the submenu appear from any area in the screen, without having to place other images to mask them. Is that still going to happen? If that is possible (or something similar) then MS can use background loading for the background images.
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
Correct - if you're splitting stuff up then it won't work.

If your bit on the left isn't transparent you don't have a problem.

Unfortunately it's not possible to crop stuff out due to animations and the like - any cropping is done before animations occur. Perhaps if you graduate your transparency and fade while you slide it might get around it?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Yep, will have to have a think about when I'm done with MiniMeedia
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
Can you not use a full background image?
I assume that's what happens when custom images are used?
Problem is the transparency of the menu on the left - it has to be opaque as you're moving stuff out from underneath it (submenus) and otherwise they'll show through. IMO making it opaque is just fine - it doesn't detract at all in my opinion, and I presume that's what happens when you're using a background pic.

Alternatives are moving the menu out then fading in the text etc. That way you can just use a zoom to do the "slide", so nothing is underneath the submenu etc.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hitcher Wrote:Can you not use a full background image?
I assume that's what happens when custom images are used?

Don't really understand what you mean the image isn't cropped the menu is overlayed. Even if you select a specific image to represent your menu choice it doesn't always appear straight away. I'm not saying that Xbox memory doesn't attribute to this pasue although it doesn't happen on other skins (or the delay is less).

At the moment this background issue and the fact you cannot play previews or FFWD in some movies are the major issues with this skin on the Xbox.
Virtualburn Wrote:Don't really understand what you mean the image isn't cropped the menu is overlayed.

If you look at the SVN for MediaStream you'll see that the default images used are split into 3 parts and I assume from Skunkm0nkee's post that they're displaying only the centre and right one in certain instances (which is why I asked about joining them together as one image). Of course I could have got the wrong end of the stick.
How should these images be formatted. The thing is the original images appear fine and even in PM3.HD the defaults are fine until you replace with custom images and specify a folder that they are in.

Is there a way of just replacing the originals?
Virtualburn Wrote:Image

Could you give me this background image? it looks really cool Smile
Thx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delay on Background images displaying?0