• 5(current)
Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists?
jmarshall Wrote:1. YES you'll be able to browse your library by your folder structure with all metadata available.
2. YES you'll get the "hdflagging" stuff.
3. YES you'll be able to group series of movies together.
4. YES you'll be able to completely specify each and every "filter" or "category" node (such as recently added movies) including how many items to display.
5. YES the recently added movies will be exactly that - no rescrapes showing up, only new stuff.
6. YES all the stuff we already have will still be available, such as SMS jumping and the like.

There's not a lot more for me to say - I've got a lot of work/research to do in checking that what I want to be able to do is doable.

Cheers,
Jonathan

What, you mean you haven't finished the mods yet Shocked Big Grin

The above sounds great.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
KidKiwi said

"The menu takes you straight to the title page and it's easy to forget the other options are there one tier up (I don't have the "Up one Level" icon showing)."

I'd like my XBMC to do both these things, can anyone point me to some information on how to do it?
What I would really find useful is custom categories that the user can define. For example: children, exercise. Mythtv has this functionality and I miss it now that I am moving over to xbmc.
A possibility to filter movie titles by first letter may be useful.

jmarshall Wrote:There's not a lot more for me to say - I've got a lot of work/research to do in checking that what I want to be able to do is doable.

Cheers,
Jonathan
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

First letter won't be done, as IMO it's a useless way to browse your titles. Just use the jump by letter instead.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:...Just use the jump by letter instead.

Do you mean the SMS Jump here? Or has there been a new development? I saw a post recently about using "Shift-letter", but not sure that works on the xbox with a remote.

I appreciate the next/Prevletter addition. Works a treat with the onscreen GUI SMS jump I made for PM3.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Just Next/Prev, JumpSMS, and SHIFT-letter, yes.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I just wanted to say that these library changes plus the hd flagging merge will honestly change the way I use XBMC every day. I am extremely excited about them, thanks for the hard work jmarshall!
jmarshall Wrote:First letter won't be done, as IMO it's a useless way to browse your titles. Just use the jump by letter instead.
How do you use jump by letter on a remote?
I can live without first letter filtering as well. But I also know my wife would be very grateful. Kids know which movie they want to watch and a simple way to filter by first letter would be a savior.

Edit: or maybe adding support so that SHIFT-letter can be used through a skin:

http://www.moovida.com/media/model-media...aryalt.png

http://www.moovida.com/screenshots/
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

With a remote you can use JumpSMS2 -> JumpSMS9

Or you can use NextLetter/PrevLetter

It's completely up to you.

Cheers,
Jonathan

this might be far too radical or impractical in idea but...

What if the user could make their own 'filter' criteria and name it?

Perhaps they could create some regex on one or more media info fields which will result in a set of matching media, sorted as they choose.

On the downside, it would mean them making some filter of their own (although some example common defaults could be provided), and skins would have to render this list (the list of user filters) somehow... but would that be doable, or even desirable?
AnalogKid Wrote:this might be far too radical or impractical in idea but...

What if the user could make their own 'filter' criteria and name it?

Perhaps they could create some regex on one or more media info fields which will result in a set of matching media, sorted as they choose.

On the downside, it would mean them making some filter of their own (although some example common defaults could be provided), and skins would have to render this list (the list of user filters) somehow... but would that be doable, or even desirable?

Isn't this the smartplaylist stuffs?
MaxNL Wrote:Isn't this the smartplaylist stuffs?

Blimey!.... I do believe you're right!

You learn something new every day with this XBMC stuff!... I never knew you could do this... I had to search the Wiki a little harder!

So it WAS a good idea!... I just thought of it years after everybody else! lol

:-)
jmarshall Wrote:1. YES you'll be able to browse your library by your folder structure with all metadata available.
2. YES you'll get the "hdflagging" stuff.
3. YES you'll be able to group series of movies together.
4. YES you'll be able to completely specify each and every "filter" or "category" node (such as recently added movies) including how many items to display.
5. YES the recently added movies will be exactly that - no rescrapes showing up, only new stuff.
6. YES all the stuff we already have will still be available, such as SMS jumping and the like.

There's not a lot more for me to say - I've got a lot of work/research to do in checking that what I want to be able to do is doable.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I think you've zeroed into exactly what needs to be done with this list. Great job.
Although I'ver been using XBMC for the best part of 4 years, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to the Video Library. I've basically been using Library Mode for Music and File Mode for Video from Day 1. Having experimented with the Video Library last night, I do admit that it looks far slicker than File Mode (e.g. seeing the artwork and plot summary for my TV episodes and Movies). I've never experimented with .nfo files, and am hopeful that sensibly renaming any errant files will work out fine (shame video containers don't support tags like my MP3 / AAC files).

The one thing that stops me switching permanently to Libray Mode however, is the restriced types of content that can be assigned to files. In addition to TV Shows, Movies and Music Videos, my directory structure includes "Home Movies" and "Misc", which contains a mishmash of Fitness DVDs, Documentaries and a DTS Demo sample).

Is there a way of expanding the Library to include 'Home Movies', 'Fitness', etc, etc? If this already exists, then I hang my head in shame for polluting this thread!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video library redesign idea - How can we improve Smart Playlists, aka Filtered Lists?2