• 40(current)
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition
I had to follow a few tutorials and managed to setup mySQL server and now its working like a charm across 2 x Nvidia Sheilds & main PC which has the main Kodi & the mySQL server.
I had many setbacks and took a month for things to smooth out.
My main mistake was that ALL the clients ( including install on main PC ) have to have libraries setup as "smb shares " . I think this is one of the steps where I made mistake and had to redo everything.
The inprogress media widget has a lag and i wanted to bring this to someones attention but just wasnt bothered enough. ( ANS skin & Bingie )
As stated Movies are updated instantly but the inprogress shows arent updated quickly. I found that if i play an episode of whatever on one of the machine then once that episode finishes the widget updates to the appropriate episodes.
Similar things might happen on another slave kodi install. 
As klojum has mentioned I might get the skin refresh as a startup task to see if this reolves it .
(2020-07-11, 14:14)IamDan Wrote: Ive quit and restarted my windows kodi instance and still dont see a result. The movies do seem to update the in progress widget when I restart

Check the content of the debug log (wiki) files. Be sure to first enable debugging and restart Kodi. Connection problems should be identifiable in the log files.

What sort of machine is running the MySQL/MariaDB server? And which version?
(2020-07-11, 14:37)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-07-11, 14:14)IamDan Wrote: Ive quit and restarted my windows kodi instance and still dont see a result. The movies do seem to update the in progress widget when I restart

Check the content of the debug log (wiki) files. Be sure to first enable debugging and restart Kodi. Connection problems should be identifiable in the log files.

What sort of machine is running the MySQL/MariaDB server? And which version?

Here is my log -    https://paste.kodi.tv/yocebodasa.kodi

Here is another log. I played a tv show and stopped it. Not sure if its of value -  https://paste.kodi.tv/awivupapas.kodi

Im running mariadb 10.3.21 on my Synology 1513+.
(2020-07-11, 14:35)shaktoo Wrote: I had to follow a few tutorials and managed to setup mySQL server and now its working like a charm across 2 x Nvidia Sheilds & main PC which has the main Kodi & the mySQL server.
My main mistake was that ALL the clients ( including install on main PC ) have to have libraries setup as "smb shares " . I think this is one of the steps where I made mistake and had to redo everything.
The inprogress media widget has a lag and i wanted to bring this to someones attention but just wasnt bothered enough. ( ANS skin & Bingie )
As stated Movies are updated instantly but the inprogress shows arent updated quickly. I found that if i play an episode of whatever on one of the machine then once that episode finishes the widget updates to the appropriate episodes.
As klojum has mentioned I might get the skin refresh as a startup task to see if this reolves it .
When you say SMB shares what are you refering to? I currently use NFS. I just find it a whole lot easier. Sureley it shouldnt make any difference between SMB and NFS
(2020-07-12, 02:05)IamDan Wrote:
(2020-07-11, 14:35)shaktoo Wrote: I had to follow a few tutorials and managed to setup mySQL server and now its working like a charm across 2 x Nvidia Sheilds & main PC which has the main Kodi & the mySQL server.
When you say SMB shares what are you refering to? I currently use NFS. I just find it a whole lot easier. Sureley it shouldnt make any difference between SMB and NFS
SMB is similar sharing protocol to NFS. 
Most of the tutorials I watched  were recommending SMB , plus I had setup SMB shares and was more comfortable with it so went with it.
It isnt any difference and does not really matter.
what matters is that ALL the server & clients running Kodi access the server library via a share SMB or NFS . Otherwise it does not work.
(2020-07-11, 14:35)shaktoo Wrote: As klojum has mentioned I might get the skin refresh as a startup task to see if this reolves it .
A skin refresh at a startup of a Kodi client is a bit nonsense, as everything gets refreshed already.
I mean using a keymapped like F5 so you can refresh a Kodi skin at any time.

(2020-07-12, 00:00)IamDan Wrote: Im running mariadb 10.3.21 on my Synology 1513+.
That version should be just fine.

NOTICE: ADDON: skin.estuary.modv2 v3.0.5 installed
That skin comes with plenty of "extra functionality" from what I remember. Maybe it is a bit disruptive of normal Kodi proceedings. Try switching to the default Estuary skin, and restart Kodi.

ERROR: Failed to close(volume1/video/TV Shows/Hitler's Last Year/poster.jpg) - close call failed with "NFS: Commit failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
This should be harmless and only on a file handling level, and not affect Kodi's database handling.
(2020-07-12, 05:10)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-07-11, 14:35)shaktoo Wrote: As klojum has mentioned I might get the skin refresh as a startup task to see if this reolves it .
A skin refresh at a startup of a Kodi client is a bit nonsense, as everything gets refreshed already.
(2020-07-12, 00:00)IamDan Wrote: Im running mariadb 10.3.21 on my Synology 1513+.

That skin comes with plenty of "extra functionality" from what I remember. Maybe it is a bit disruptive of normal Kodi proceedings. Try switching to the default Estuary skin, and restart Kodi.

ERROR: Failed to close(volume1/video/TV Shows/Hitler's Last Year/poster.jpg) - close call failed with "NFS: Commit failed with NFS3ERR_ACCES(-13)"
This should be harmless and only on a file handling level, and not affect Kodi's database handling.

I switched back to estuary. Im now getting In progress items being added from my pi running libreelec however my windows machine will not update. Even when I play something on the windows machine it wont update the in progress list.

EDIT: OK I thinkits all working now. As soon as I completed a full episode it all sprang into life (weird). I really appreciate the help!! Ill start adding the advancedsettings etc to other clients and see how i go! Thanks again
(2020-04-16, 20:50)Jayson Wonder Wrote: This helped me a lot but I must be missing something as I have a few problems with my setup.

I have shared my media with all devices via SMB network share and I have the MYSQL database up an running successful. I built a fresh library on one of the devices and copied over my advancedsettings.xml. No problems aside from a handful of movies that would not get scrapped (like 10 out of 200 is not bad).

For those "problem files", I scanned individually and found the correct metadata with a manual search / editing the title and re-scrapping in Kodi. None of those re-scrapped files had art so I found the images and downloaded them to a shared folder and added the art manually in Kodi. So now the library looks perfect, all files are with their proper title and info data and all files have a poster art displayed. Just what I want......

Now when I go to the new device and start Kodi and check the library and all of my movies show up but the 10 "problem files" seem to loose the artwork I manually added. I thought it would share the location of that art with all devices...

I feel like there should be a local network share address in that column perhaps like
url:
SMB://NAS/movieart/poster.jpg

Any thoughts on this issue and how to make the art data share regardless of where is originates?

Thanks

Once you fix your problem files, export the artwork. The new devices will then find it during import. Or just copy the Textures.db file and Thumbnails folder to the new devices.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt a mysql db without having a "perfect" library to start with. It took me a couple of weeks, but I refreshed every movie/tv show/episode, scrolled through all actors on the Info page so actor thumbs would be cached, scrolled through the movie and tv show library so fanart is cached, and each episode so episode thumbs were cached. Same with Music artists and albums, sourced artwork for ones that were missing, created .nfo files for oddball ones, etc. Only then did I export everything.

-edit- And of course I spoke too soon. I switched from mysql to mariadb and ran into a similar issue, but with only one artist. I had exported the images, but for some reason it didn't scrape on import, had to browse the artist info folder to find the 'local file'.
Hi,
recently I tried to switch my setup to run mariadb on my synology nas and have my kodi boxes share the history etc via mysql, I've the boxes up and it seems to be working.
However one weird thing I notice was after switching was my video thumbnails layout is then changed to 5 horizontal x 3 vertical (this is running xonfluence skin on libreelec 9.2.4 (kodi 18.8) to a difference layout of 5 horizontal x 2 vertical thumbnails (the icons seems slightly bigger) if I revert back to running local by removing the entries in advance settings it will go back to normal (5x3 thumbnail icons).

Does it even make sense switch to mysql will change the thumbnail layout/size?  Is this purely a skin/skin settings issue? 
Thanks.
I've just upgrade / rebuild my server with v12 of TrueNAS and see in the new version that there is a community plug-in for MariaDB.  

Has anyone used this plugin for Kodi? and if so any tips to get it working?  have spent the last few hours looking around  various forums. but I'm still struggling to get it to work!

would appreciate any pointers in the right direction!

Many thanks
(2013-02-25, 23:00)Jmhthefirst Wrote: can I install MySQL on my windows PC if it's media sources are smb from an external drive?

Yes, you can install MySQL on your windows PC even its media sources are SMB from external drive.
(2020-07-12, 05:10)Klojum Wrote:

That skin comes with plenty of "extra functionality" from what I remember. Maybe it is a bit disruptive of normal Kodi proceedings. Try switching to the default Estuary skin and restart Kodi.

Yes, I agree with you.
(2023-06-01, 15:37)steve_manson Wrote: Yes, I agree with you.

Please do not come on this forum for useless quotes on multiple year old posts, or by inserting "hidden" spam URLs into your own posts. We have VERY little patience with such behavior.

Don't do that again, or your forum account will be thrown into the nearest garbage bin.
So..I've been using MySql on Kodi Windows for a long time....just wondering if Kodi 21 can use a version of MySql higher than 5.7 as I'm getting ready to do a fresh Kodi 21 install on Windows 11.
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition2