• 3(current)
Which Ion based system should I buy?
medicineuk Wrote:Thanks for the info, I noticed one of two of my files are not playing correctly maybe this is the issue.

In an ideal world I would be running linux but it just looks to hard to setup drivers etc. I come from a mac background so even the windows world is a little to complex. Maybe if one of you guys get linux install you can post info on how easy/ hard it was to get everything working correctly.

My only really problem with linux is that at the moment I'm using uTorrent to automate all my downloading, it pulls shows off RSS and the places them in the correct folder, which is really nice. Is there anything that can do this on linux the main linux torrent client is transmission isn't it?

I believe people use ktorrent as an alternative to utorrent under linux which I believe supports RSS

http://ktorrent.org/

The manual is here which mentions RSS

http://ktorrent.org/wiki/index.php/Manual

Don't forget you can install XBMC Live to USB and use it that way if it supports booting from USB in the bios then you don't need to install linux

Or dual boot linux and windows is another option
medicineuk Wrote:Yer without hardware accelerate it kinda takes the shine off XBMC. Having said that I have installed XBMC with Aeon and it run smoothly. The only problem is at the moment I can't get fan art and cover art to load http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52109

Maybe with the extra over head of loading in the fanart it will cause problems? I will let you know when I have everything fixed.

I would imagine that Aeon would run fine under linux as I it's not struggling under Windows7.

Thanks a lot .....keep us posted
How about this?

http://yertech.blogspot.com/2009/06/asus...n-220.html
Lightbulb 
medicineuk Wrote:My only really problem with linux is that at the moment I'm using uTorrent to automate all my downloading, it pulls shows off RSS and the places them in the correct folder, which is really nice. Is there anything that can do this on linux the main linux torrent client is transmission isn't it?

Hello medicineuk,
For P2P, you can complement your XBMC Linux system with MLDonkey.
The good news:
- It works as a service, so you can manage it via web, via telnet, or via GUI (like sancho GUI), from the same machine or from other machine over the lan or over internet.
- It supports many protocols/networks (edonkey, torrent, ftp, overnet, ....)
- Autoload of torrents (all torrents that you drop to /usr/lib/mldonkey/torrent/incoming automatically starts the download)
- Easy installation with synaptic or apt-get

The bad news:
- A bit tricky configuration (maybe)
- Doesn't pulls torrents RSS nativelly, but here is a practical workaround, using autoload of torrents, a little bash script and scheduling with the crontab.
medicineuk,
As far as drivers go with linux, Ubuntu 9.04 had EVERY driver for my netbook in it. I hadn't used linux in a long while, and I installed it, installed XBMC, installed a bluetooth driver, lirc, and setup my PS3 remote. It was pretty easy, Ubuntu is really close to a general public OS now, if not already. Some things I had to look up, but all I needed were these forums and the search box. All you really need to be able to do is type sudo apt-get install xxxxxx and it does most if not all the work. Just pull an old harddrive out of the closet, and give it a try.Nod
Are there devices where i can put two 3,5" HDD's into it?
medicineuk Wrote:(..)
My only really problem with linux is that at the moment I'm using uTorrent to automate all my downloading, it pulls shows off RSS and the places them in the correct folder, which is really nice. Is there anything that can do this on linux the main linux torrent client is transmission isn't it?

Just run utorrent with wine, it works just like it does in windows. You only have to make sure to use a newer wine version than 1.1.6, since there was a bug which slows down speeds.
Why is the last page and a half of the "Which ION based system should I buy" thread on about bittorrent clients?
althekiller Wrote:Why is the last page and a half of the "Which ION based system should I buy" thread on about bittorrent clients?

Opps sorry about that, it's probably my fault Rofl but thanks for all the suggestions all the same.

Ok so I have just installed linux and windows 7 dual boot on my IONSTAR. I have one thing to say LINUX KICKS ASS.

It took a bit of doing but I now have everything setup and working under linux, Wireless, Optical Sound, Nvidia drivers, VDPAU, XBMC. All my videos play perfectly this setup rocks.

I'm going to remove windows completely tomorrow.Laugh

If there are any beginners, like myself that would like a write up on how to get all this stuff working on the IONSTAR let me know. I'll post something up in a new thread. Maybe we should bring this thread back on topic and start a linux thread for IONSTAR owners like the REVO one.
are you running the live version or did you install ubuntu + xbmc as an application?
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
medicineuk Wrote:If there are any beginners, like myself that would like a write up on how to get all this stuff working
That would be cool.
I'd like to know about remote controls and the IonStar.

What remotes and sensors are people using? Also, does it resume from standby? Interested in both Linux and Windows stories if anyone wants to share.

Cheers,
Alex
gerner Wrote:I'd like to know about remote controls and the IonStar.

What remotes and sensors are people using? Also, does it resume from standby? Interested in both Linux and Windows stories if anyone wants to share.

Cheers,
Alex

I haven't setup a remote control but I can resume from sleep with my wireless RF mouse and keyboard on both windows and linux, don't know if that helps. I have a harmony 555 so hoping to get that setup at some point.

donabi Wrote:are you running the live version or did you install ubuntu + xbmc as an application?

did a full ubuntu install.
@medicineuk

Did you notice much difference between how well the GUI functioned ie speed, smoothness etc between Linux and Windows

I would like to know as I was thinking of using it in XP and launching an external player mainly because of the video and audio codecs I could then use assuming I could get my head around doing this in XBMC Rolleyes

If anyone installs XP or Vista I would really like to know how CoreAVC performs with and without CUDA enabled

Which reminds me are the SATA drivers on the driver disk so I could slipstream them into XP ?
>>X<<' Wrote:@medicineuk

Did you notice much difference between how well the GUI functioned ie speed, smoothness etc between Linux and Windows

I would like to know as I was thinking of using it in XP and launching an external player mainly because of the video and audio codecs I could then use assuming I could get my head around doing this in XBMC Rolleyes

If anyone installs XP or Vista I would really like to know how CoreAVC performs with and without CUDA enabled

Which reminds me are the SATA drivers on the driver disk so I could slipstream them into XP ?

Linux is much faster. To be honest when I installed it I thought that it was going to be a nightmare to get everything up and running but it really wasn't a problem at all.

If you looking to use your ION computer as just a media center i would install Linux and forget windows altogether. I did a clean install today and completely removed windows I took screens as I went along so I will post them soon with full install instruction.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Ion based system should I buy?0