[LINUX] Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HFS+ file-system under Linux?
Question 
Hi All, Simple and quick question can a Linux based machine read and write to an Mac OS Extended Journal Hard Drive (HFS+)?
Last time i tried (about a year ago) HFS+ could only be mounted read-only.
If you want to have write support to your MacOS partition, you could convert it to normal HFS (non-journaled).
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:Last time i tried (about a year ago) HFS+ could only be mounted read-only.
If you want to have write support to your MacOS partition, you could convert it to normal HFS (non-journaled).

Thanks for the help Ronie, removing the journaling isn't a problem nice to know I'm not going to have to reformat the whole drive.
Linux can mount a HFS+ journaled disk. The trick is to make sure the journal is empty (clean unmount on the OSX side) and to force the mount. Normally Linux will mount it read-only. You force it by doing this;

Quote:mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sdx1 dst

This trick is used all the time with atv-bootloader to gain access to the AppleTV HFS+ journaled partitions.
davilla Wrote:Linux can mount a HFS+ journaled disk. The trick is to make sure the journal is empty (clean unmount on the OSX side) and to force the mount. Normally Linux will mount it read-only. You force it by doing this;

This trick is used all the time with atv-bootloader to gain access to the AppleTV HFS+ journaled partitions.

When you say 'empty' do you mean that it needs to be newly formated with no data on it? or does it just need to be fully ejected on OS X.
The journal is just used for transactions to the FS. So long as it was cleanly unmounted, the journal is empty.
I have a hfs+ formatted hardrive and can read and write to it without any problems, most of the time. My problem is that if my system ever crashes this drive becomes read only. My understanding is that this is because when the system crashes it doesn't unmount the drive correctly.

At the moment I'm having to get my Mac laptop plug the drive in and then unmount it from the mac this allows me to have read write access again. Is there any way that I can fully unmount the drive in Linux so I don't have to keep pluggin it in to my mac. Thanks for any help.
As a quick follow up to this, as somewhat of a Linux n00b, could anybody set me on the right course as to how I could go about getting my XBMC live USB stick install to recognise and read a Mac (HSF) drive autonatically upon boot?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HFS+ file-system under Linux?0