TV Shows from (DVD-Video) "VIDEO_TS" folders and VOB/IFO files?
Question 
I would put this on the wiki myself, but I do not appear to have permissions to do so:

[Begin contribution to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Set_Content_..._Library)]

TV Shows from VIDEO_TS Folders

If you have TV shows in VIDEO_TS folders and set the content type to TV Shows, you will have to manually drill down to the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and play it, which is annoyingly unuser friendly. If you set the content type to Movies, you may download movie information instead of TV information for TV shows that have the same name as movies. However, if you set the content type to TV Shows and do a scan to get the correct content, then switch the content type to Movies without doing a scan, you get the best of both worlds.

[End contribution to http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Set_Content_..._Library)]

The other solution to this would be to add VIDEO_TS folder support to the TV Show content type.
Hi, I must admit I do not quite understand what you are saying.
Do you mean that IFO/VOB TV content is handled differently in the Video Library than other TV media files?

Or are you browsing in files mode?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think I get what he is saying.

If you have a DVD of Frieds of example that is ripped in a video_ts folder, and then going into TV shows, xbmc does not know what to do with it. It wont play the contents of the folder and treat it like a DVD as it would do with a movie.

So he is saying that scan the TV Show folder while the source is set as TV shows and then once done, switch the source to Movie. This way XBMC can load the contents of the folder and you will be able to play it normally just like a DVD.

Thanks OP, I always wondered about this and now I can do this for my TV shows that are in a video_ts folder.
Let's hope this gets the attention of a dev or QA, sounds nasty if I understand it correctly.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
boxterduke got it right. I am in the process of ripping all of my DVDs for easier accessibility, and so that I can put the physical copies in storage to get them out of my small apartment. I want to be able to play the DVDs, and access all of their features as if they were sitting in my DVD player, which is why I did not encode them to video files. I didn't want to take the time to do that either.

sho, I am browsing in file mode. TV Show DVDs do not even show up in the Library with content type is set to TV Shows. The issue is that TV Shows are "Stacked" differently from Movies. Stacking is what allows you to "select" a folder that contains a VIDEO_TS folder and have it automatically play the DVD. I have my files named TV/Show Name/Season #/Disc #/VIDEO_TS. To play a DVD with content type set to TV Show, I would have to play TV/Show Name/Season #/Disc #/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO. However, with content set to Movies, I would only have to select TV/Show Name/Season #/Disc #, which is preferred.

The problem with using the Movie content type for TV Shows is that it will look for content for movies instead of TV shows. For example, in 2008 there was both a movie and a TV show named Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Tvdb.com in TV Show mode picks the TV show, but imdb.com in Movie mode picks the movie (tvdb.com is not a scraper option in in Movie mode).

Therefore, I scan my TV folder with a content type of TV Shows to download the correct show information, and then switch the content type to Movie for the DVD Stacking feature.

Perhaps there needs to be a DVD content type that has scrapers for both movies and TV shows.

I apologize if I did not clearly describe the issue in my first post. I was trying to keep it brief, but probably could have been more verbose. If you could word this work around in a way that people understand and put it on the Wiki, that would be great!

Also, what is the best way to communicate this issue to the Developers?
P.S. a scraper for audio DVDs, and audio CDs that come with bonus DVD video content, would be great :-)
The main problem with tvshows is that we have to be able to detect which episode(s) are in the file.

You have to name them in a way to allow us to do this. In any case, if you're in file mode, then there is zero point setting content to tvshows in the first place - all it does is effectively disables the dvd stacking. As you've said, the scanner won't pick it up anyway, right?

It's something that will be taken care of with the new library scanner - effectively allowing dvd stacking to occur separately from normal stacking.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I assumed this has something to with the library (because of the set contents stuff).
If you are using files mode, why are you setting contents at all?
ruddog Wrote:P.S. a scraper for audio DVDs, and audio CDs that come with bonus DVD video content, would be great :-)

Patch welcome Wink
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
jmarshall Wrote:As you've said, the scanner won't pick it up anyway, right?

It's something that will be taken care of with the new library scanner - effectively allowing dvd stacking to occur separately from normal stacking.

Correct, VIDEO_TS folders set to TV Shows do not show up in Library mode. It sounds like that new scanner might be a better solution for how I use XBMC. I look forward to using it.

sho Wrote:If you are using files mode, why are you setting contents at all?

I set content to download thumbnails for viewing folders in Wide or DVD mode.

Thanks, guys.
ruddog Wrote:Correct, VIDEO_TS folders set to TV Shows do not show up in Library mode. It sounds like that new scanner might be a better solution for how I use XBMC. I look forward to using it.

I set content to download thumbnails for viewing folders in Wide or DVD mode.

Thanks, guys.
Would it work if you created an ISO image of the Video_TS folder and then named the ISO something like Friends_S01E01-E02-E03-E04-E05.iso?
Would that work?
eamiryar Wrote:Would it work if you created an ISO image of the Video_TS folder and then named the ISO something like Friends_S01E01-E02-E03-E04-E05.iso?
Would that work?

I am just noticing your reply, but that is exactly what I ended up doing, based on this post. Good call!
Hi
I just updated the wiki with information from another forum thread (http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55497) where a user submitted the regex required to have XBMC Library handle TV Shows as DVD's. Works great.

Gerrit
z80yyz Wrote:Hi
I just updated the wiki with information from another forum thread (http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55497) where a user submitted the regex required to have XBMC Library handle TV Shows as DVD's. Works great.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get that to work.

As an example, I have the following path:
V:\TV Shows\Californication\(2008) Season 2\Disc1\VIDEO_TS
with all the DVD files.

I created an "advancedsettings.xml" in
E:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\XBMC\userdata
(I'm running on the Admin account)

In that file I have:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <tvshowmatching append="no">
    <regexp>\[[Ss]([0-9]+)\]_\[[Ee]([0-9]+)\]?([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \[\-\\/]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[\.\-]?[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
    <regexp>[\._ \-\\/]([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])([\._ \-][^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)[\\/]video_ts.ifo)?</regexp>
  </tvshowmatching>
</advancedsettings>
When I add "V:\TV Shows" as a source with the content type set to TV shows, it creates a Californication entry, with cover art and the genre, under TV Shows in the library, but it shows 0 episodes. I tried changing append="no" to append="yes" as well.

If it worked the way I want it to, it would have the season number, the disc number, the year, cover art, cast info, and maybe a description of the season, but I wouldn't expect any episode info, since there's no way for it to know which episodes are on the disc (unless there's some database that gives detailed DVD info like that).

Since the DVD itself when played will give info about each episode it has on it, it doesn't need to be given in XBMC as well.
Why is it that here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=TV_Shows#Cus...File_Names
only the "TV Shows in DVD Folders" entry has append="no"? Reading the wiki on advancedsettings.xml, it sounds like that has the same affect as if it were left out. So I guess it doesn't matter that the other entries don't have it, but it'd be a little less confusing for a newbie like myself if it were consistent.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows from (DVD-Video) "VIDEO_TS" folders and VOB/IFO files?0