• 7(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style
^^ Did you add the user XBMC to the group that's allowed to shutdown/suspend/reboot?
ok, it seems like I have another issue (which may cause the inability to sleep, shutdown) - it turns out my xbmc loads as my user, rather as the xbmc user.
I know this by looking at the home folder in the file manager in xbmc.
I tried to reinstall xbmc-live package a couple of times, from user xbmc, but it still immediately loads xbmc as my user, and when I reboot it does the same.

Also, when I install xbmc-live, there is a certain error that shows on the screen (though the script completes):

[: 120: #: unexpected operator

I am running ubuntu 9.04 with latest xbmc..

Any help would be much appreciated.
I found that by just installing XBMC Live, it only took 5 minutes to install vs. the 1-2 hours for Ubuntu + XBMC. If you use it as a standalone box, no reason not to use Live.
Well, there is a reason to use a full installation if you want to drop back to it to do other things in gnome.. the XBMCLive installation is barebone, no gnome, no apps.. if that fits your needs - great.

I found the issue and I guess more people will see it soon. Seems like lcapriotti changed runXBMC(.sh) only 5 days ago, to use the existing primary user for login if available.. This may work for XBMCLive, but it breaks this xbmc-live method for xbmc on ubuntu, as my default user was not the xbmc one!

As a workaround I commented the new code in runXBMC.sh:

if [ "$(whoami)" == "root" ] ; then
11 xbmcUser=$(getent passwd 1000 | sed -e 's/\:.*//')
12 if [ -z "$xbmcUser" ]; then
13 echo "User for XBMC not found, exiting..."
14 break
15 fi
16 else
17 xbmcUser=$(whoami)
18 fi

and changed it back to

xbmcUser=xbmc

This also fixes the shutdown and suspend.

The joy of linux. My wife would like to thank everyone for another lost evening Wink
Aha. Nice catch Arielgr.

I initially thought the u/g from alpha to beta had wiped my /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata, but upon closer inspection it was just running as root rather than xbmc, and therefore reading /root/.xbmc

Cheers. Wink
arielgr Wrote:Well, there is a reason to use a full installation if you want to drop back to it to do other things in gnome.. the XBMCLive installation is barebone, no gnome, no apps.. if that fits your needs - great.

I found the issue and I guess more people will see it soon. Seems like lcapriotti changed runXBMC(.sh) only 5 days ago, to use the existing primary user for login if available.. This may work for XBMCLive, but it breaks this xbmc-live method for xbmc on ubuntu, as my default user was not the xbmc one!

As a workaround I commented the new code in runXBMC.sh:

if [ "$(whoami)" == "root" ] ; then
11 xbmcUser=$(getent passwd 1000 | sed -e 's/\:.*//')
12 if [ -z "$xbmcUser" ]; then
13 echo "User for XBMC not found, exiting..."
14 break
15 fi
16 else
17 xbmcUser=$(whoami)
18 fi

and changed it back to

xbmcUser=xbmc

This also fixes the shutdown and suspend.

The joy of linux. My wife would like to thank everyone for another lost evening Wink

This does not work for me. Changed that line, as you said, but still my regular user get logged in. Should I change somewhere else too?

The file I edited in was "/usr/bin/runXBMC", is that the correct one?

BTW... Just did a clean install of the entire system with Jaunty 9.04, so everything is up to date.

Edit 1: It seems that there no longer is a user called "xbmc". At least there is no such directory in /home/. Did Luigi change so that the default user always gets logged in? If so, then what to do?

Edit 2: SOLVED!

Solution...

1) Keep Luigi's script as it is, don't think the user "xbmc" is supposed to be used anymore

2) Do the following commands (change "xbmc" to your user name).

Code:
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

At least this worked for me. Now I just have to find out how to enable "wake from usb remote". Any tips on that?

Edit 3:
Found the solution for this. This is the link for the fix if anyone is interested.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device

New problem: Luigi seem to have changed the startup-routine for XBMC, so that it is not included in "/boot/grub/menu.lst" any more. When I exit XBMC and try to start X I end up in XBMC again. How can I get into X?
Another option is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62474

I modified the script to check if the xbmc user exists, if it does use that, if not use the user with id=1000.
It's my first XBMC install and I'm using the XBMCbuntu guide in the wiki. I did the expert install because I wanted control over my partitioning scheme (wanted to use LVM) but now I'm stuck at "Install the base system". The list of options are mind boggling... linux-386/virtual/generic/generic-pae, linux-image-2.6.31-17/16/15/14-386/virtual/generic/generic-pae, etc.

I'm using a motherboard with an Intel 945GC chipset, an Intel Atom 330 CPU, and an 8400GS graphics card.

I don't want to choose the wrong one and I can't continue 'til I select a kernel, so I'd really appreciate help of the ASAP variety! Big Grin

Thanks for reading! Smile
Donny Bahama Wrote:It's my first XBMC install and I'm using the XBMCbuntu guide in the wiki. I did the expert install because I wanted control over my partitioning scheme (wanted to use LVM) but now I'm stuck at "Install the base system". The list of options are mind boggling... linux-386/virtual/generic/generic-pae, linux-image-2.6.31-17/16/15/14-386/virtual/generic/generic-pae, etc.

I'm using a motherboard with an Intel 945GC chipset, an Intel Atom 330 CPU, and an 8400GS graphics card.

I don't want to choose the wrong one and I can't continue 'til I select a kernel, so I'd really appreciate help of the ASAP variety! Big Grin

Thanks for reading! Smile
You should still be able to use the partition manager with the Live install as well. If not, you could always partition the drive on another box and then install to the already created partition.
Donny Bahama Wrote:I don't want to choose the wrong one and I can't continue 'til I select a kernel, so I'd really appreciate help of the ASAP variety! Big Grin

What install disc are you using that asks for a kernel selection? None of the Ubuntu server installs I do ever ask that.
pashdown Wrote:What install disc are you using that asks for a kernel selection? None of the Ubuntu server installs I do ever ask that.
Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Minimal CD - only at the boot prompt, I type "expert install" instead of just "install".
If you select "install" it will still ask you for partitioning information without the kernel questions.
FWIW, I went ahead and chose the default value - "linux-386-generic". I can't yet say whether that was the proper choice as I'm having boot (grub) problems.
pashdown Wrote:If you select "install" it will still ask you for partitioning information without the kernel questions.
Thanks. Trying that now. Grub problem is driving me bonkers! Eek
I was forced to use LILO. (Grub simply would NOT install for me.) Can anyone tell me how to do this in LILO?
Quote: Automated startup

Edit the following line in /etc/default/grub to appear as:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir loglevel=0"

Then update grub:

sudo update-grub
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style3