• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style
Lightbulb 
ok, got it, not only hdmi, i tried it by myself but xbmc freeze, i had to enter
Code:
Default output device: plug:hdmi
Passthrough device: hdmi
anyway thanks Smile
This doesn't seem to be working right for me. I started with a full ubuntu 9.04 install but regardless it should still work the same. Basically sound and everything works fine until I replace gnome with XBMC. When XBMC boots the ALSA drivers do not load or start at all. If I close XBCM and update the alsa drivers again and then start gnome sound works fine again. As soon as I restart though its all back to normal. Maybe I'll just use the XBMC live disc and see if it works better that way.
XBMC doesn't replace gnome, it runs inside gnome.
Well after doing this command

sudo apt-get install xbmc-live python-apt

and restarting, even after updating alsa sound just won't work. Not sure why? The ALSA devices don't even show up.
Dougie085 Wrote:The ALSA devices don't even show up.

I had the same problem, I ran the ALSA update script on an already working machine and then the audio devices disappeared. I ended up starting fresh again - you could try dropping to terminal and running alsaconf?

Posted possible resolutions to the 'mute on reboot' in your other thread. http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55734&page=2
Hi i followed this guide when i set up my system. But after installing XBMC, i uninstalled it and installed the SVN version. Everything was working fine until i uninstalled it again to install the newest SVN.

Now i can't get it to autostart XBMC, no i just get tty1, and i have to login and type "startx" to get XBMC to show up.

Is their something in the xbmc-live package that does the "auto-starting"?
Hardware: ASUS P5N7A-VM with 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron 430 1,8GHz @ 3,06GHz
spozen Wrote:Hi i followed this guide when i set up my system. But after installing XBMC, i uninstalled it and installed the SVN version. Everything was working fine until i uninstalled it again to install the newest SVN.

Now i can't get it to autostart XBMC, no i just get tty1, and i have to login and type "startx" to get XBMC to show up.

Is their something in the xbmc-live package that does the "auto-starting"?

You changed your run level. See here for how to change it back. It should be level 5.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-chan...evels.html
pyrates Wrote:You changed your run level. See here for how to change it back. It should be level 5.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-chan...evels.html

Nope didn't work. And i didn't have a /etc/inittab on my system. But thanks anyway!
i used this guide and install xbmc, it boots right to the main xbmc screen, works great. thanks a lot.

how would i get to a shell terminal from the main xbmc screen to make any changes?
do i have to re-boot it into recovery mode? i did everything on the "how-to" up until editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the "safe mode" entry and everything below it.
Connect with ssh (on windows putty.exe + ip number)
Or just press Ctrl + Alt F2. You can use several tty's F3, F4 etc.
spozen Wrote:Or just press Ctrl + Alt F2. You can use several tty's F3, F4 etc.
And to return to XBMC I think it's CTRL + Alt + [try F1 or F11/F12]
great, ill try that, thanks.

is there somewhere all the commands are noted? a guide perhaps?
BulletHead Wrote:great, ill try that, thanks.

is there somewhere all the commands are noted? a guide perhaps?
There are plenty of websites with Ubuntu shortcuts/commands. Google is your friend with Linux Wink
Superorb Wrote:And to return to XBMC I think it's CTRL + Alt + [try F1 or F11/F12]

Yeah rite, thanks forgot to mention that. Big Grin
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a standard Ubuntu installation into 'XBMCbuntu' set-top-box style3