Budget DIY HTPC hardware for XBMC?
snoxbox Wrote:All of the reviews I have seen of it playing blu-ray are playing from a USB Blu-Ray, so yes it will work fine.

Yes but under Windows through DXVA and Blu-ray software player.

XBMC has no GPU acceleration under Windows only in Live/Linux.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think XBMC can actually play Blu-ray discs ?

For one the discs are encrypted and I tired playing a Blu-ray through XBMC on my Windows box with AnyDVD-HD running in the background and it still wouldn't play it.

I would have assumed from all that XBMC Live running on a Revo cannot play Blu-ray discs unless there is a piece of the puzzle I'm missing.

However you can use MakeMKV to turn the raw Blu-ray into an MKV (no encoding) so its a rather quick process.
Starstream Wrote:Yes but under Windows through DXVA and Blu-ray software player.

XBMC has no GPU acceleration under Windows only in Live/Linux.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't think XBMC can actually play Blu-ray discs ?

For one the discs are encrypted and I tired playing a Blu-ray through XBMC on my Windows box with AnyDVD-HD running in the background and it still wouldn't play it.

I would have assumed from all that XBMC Live running on a Revo cannot play Blu-ray discs unless there is a piece of the puzzle I'm missing.

However you can use MakeMKV to turn the raw Blu-ray into an MKV (no encoding) so its a rather quick process.

Correct. XBMC cannot play Blu-Ray discs. But you can set an external player to launch. And on XBMC Live, there is a 'Launcher' plugin. So, running XBMC Live, you would use the Launcher plugin to load PowewDVD 9, and play the blu-ray.
How about this?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9404658/ZO...therboard#
+
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6864546/In...oduct.html

+ 2GB Ram and this Mini ITX Box http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-m...ategory=87

Do you think that would be a upgrade from the Zotac 330, would it handle HD Flash? (I want the set-up to be reasonably future proof)

Thanks Wink
I've had loads of fun with this motherboard. Following the old walk-through and very little linux knowledge I was up and running in no time. I'm using 2*4GB RAM(a bit of an overkill) and an E1400 (2.0GHz Dual Core Celeron) booting off a 4GB compact flash card. All of which were sourced in the UK.
With VDPAU enabled the killasample(off my NAS)drops 7 frames(expected) and CPU usage is around 10%. After seeing these results and hearing about the Zotac ION motherboard release days after purchasing this set-up I'd wished I'd waited longer.
Things to consider is the power supply, I purchased this
case
and the supply that came with it wasn't juicy enough. In the end I ended up having to go for the 150W AC/DC converter(a brick)
and a DC/DC converter

You will need at least 90W for this board I believe.
I like the case that you're going for that would be ideal for me. My next stage is to try and underclock the CPU, I just can't seem to find locate a simple guide for doing this.

Mucus
mucuskipper Wrote:I've had loads of fun with this motherboard. Following the old walk-through and very little linux knowledge I was up and running in no time. I'm using 2*4GB RAM(a bit of an overkill) and an E1400 (2.0GHz Dual Core Celeron) booting off a 4GB compact flash card. All of which were sourced in the UK.

Mucus

How is your combination working with AEON skin?
my loyalty to the original xbox setup has kept me with the Project Mayhem skin. I'll have a play later with the AEON skin and get back to you.

Mucus
mucuskipper Wrote:my loyalty to the original xbox setup has kept me with the Project Mayhem skin. I'll have a play later with the AEON skin and get back to you.

Mucus

Thanks mate.....although I will probably also be using PMIIIHD skin I would still like to have system that can use all the skins without problems
mucuskipper Wrote:I've had loads of fun with this motherboard. Following the old walk-through and very little linux knowledge I was up and running in no time. I'm using 2*4GB RAM(a bit of an overkill) and an E1400 (2.0GHz Dual Core Celeron) booting off a 4GB compact flash card. All of which were sourced in the UK.
With VDPAU enabled the killasample(off my NAS)drops 7 frames(expected) and CPU usage is around 10%. After seeing these results and hearing about the Zotac ION motherboard release days after purchasing this set-up I'd wished I'd waited longer.
Things to consider is the power supply, I purchased this
case
and the supply that came with it wasn't juicy enough. In the end I ended up having to go for the 150W AC/DC converter(a brick)
and a DC/DC converter

You will need at least 90W for this board I believe.
I like the case that you're going for that would be ideal for me. My next stage is to try and underclock the CPU, I just can't seem to find locate a simple guide for doing this.

Mucus

Does it handle Flash HD o.k? (I take it your talking about the ZOTAC GF9300), I'm also interested how it handles AEON, any information on that would be much appreciatedNod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget DIY HTPC hardware for XBMC?0