[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?
If someone doesn't mind, I could use a bit of help applying this patch.

I checked out the latest SVN and am trying to run the patch from $HOME/XBMC with

patch -p0 -i xbmc-vdpau-subtitles.patch

but it keeps throwing an error back -

patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? from my research thus far, it appears I've given "patch" the wrong format flag, but I'm not sure what the correct one is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As of rev 22961-22964, it shouldn't be necessary to apply that patch.
Yep. That took care of it.

SVN 22999 crashed when playing and had some subtitle skewing (being rendered at such an extreme angle that it looked like gibberish)

SVN 23005 doesn't crash but still has the subtitle rendering issue.

Some of the subtitles are rendered correctly, others look like gibberish.

However, I've found a workaround that will hold me until this is found and fixed.

1. Play file w/ VDPAU enabled
2. Note some(not all) corrupted subtitles
3. Stop playback and go to settings>Videos
4. Change rendering method to something else
5. Play file again and notice perfect subtitles
6. Stop playback - Go back to settings>Videos and re-select VDPAU as the renderer
7. Play file again, note perfect subtitles w/ VDPAU acceleration.

This "fixes" the issue for all of my anime files w/ ssa/ass subtitles until I shut down XBMC.
if you dont feel like recompiling xbmc to fix this issue, i have a workaround for it i have been using in the meantime. you can extract your ASS subs, and convert them to SRT with the perl script linked below, and use that as an external .srt file, and the subs will show up. might be useful for you.

http://github.com/res0nat0r/ass2srt
This is great news! Having to watch many anime without VDPAU enabled has definitely not been fun. I'm hoping XBMC 9.10 will have this working perfectly.
This is indeed excellent news! I can enjoy my MKVs with all their SSA/ASS glory without re-encoding a hard-sub version.

@Robobandit thank you for the work around.

Excellent work devs!
Anyone got a problem with ogm files and embedded subtitles?

Again its anime and the subtitles show but only for a split second, they apprear onscreen and then go even before the character is speaking.
VLC obviously works but then i dont get VDPAU which is kind of needed on my Zotac Atom box.
would need a sample
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ah, well i have an NZB for the files that i downloaded, you can have that if you want but then youll be downloading all 43 episodes of GTO (at 11gig)!

At the moment ive used ogmdemux to extract the subtitles to srt which work fine and dandy and i would like to mention that i am VERY happy with XBMC and thankful for all the work thats being done on it.
LAGMonkey Wrote:Anyone got a problem with ogm files and embedded subtitles?

Again its anime and the subtitles show but only for a split second, they apprear onscreen and then go even before the character is speaking.
VLC obviously works but then i dont get VDPAU which is kind of needed on my Zotac Atom box.

I came to a conclusion about OGM quite a while ago.

It's been almost entirely superseded by MKV to the point that most of the tools and implementation for MKV is so significantly better that I'm better off spending a minute with mkvmerge gui to put the streams in an MKV container than I am trying to play it natively.

Edit: It's been a little while, but I'm fairly certain that I can do all that with mkvmerge gui and no other program involved. It's almost painlessly easy, except that it takes about a minute to set up and process each episode.
Subtitles - Serious Business
I am also seeing this corruption with mkvs, very hit and miss. Although once the video has stopped the writing in the top left corner in menus becomes corrupted. Also corrupted is every heading under system information.

I can try and send samples or screen shots if requested.

r23388
TREX6662k5 Wrote:I am also seeing this corruption with mkvs, very hit and miss. Although once the video has stopped the writing in the top left corner in menus becomes corrupted. Also corrupted is every heading under system information.

I can try and send samples or screen shots if requested.

r23388

I'm also seeing the same gibrish with VDPAU and some embedded MKV subtitles. I'm using the latest PPA build (9.04.3+svn23539-jaunty1) and XBMC live.

When stopping playback after this corruption is observed, text sometimes (not always) shows corrupted in the XBMC menus.
okey. so the ssa/ass corruption seem to happen in combination with font corruption in xbmc in general?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi,

for me, the corruption in the font of the xbmc "system" only occurs after a corruption occurrence in the subtitles of a video with ASS subtitles (and VDPAU enabled).

I never encounter a corruption in the system font before trying to play a video.

regards,
Typhoe
typhoe Wrote:Hi,

for me, the corruption in the font of the xbmc "system" only occurs after a corruption occurrence in the subtitles of a video with ASS subtitles (and VDPAU enabled).

I never encounter a corruption in the system font before trying to play a video.

regards,
Typhoe

for me as well - the XBMC font corruption only happens after there is corruption of ASS/SSA subtitles with VDPAU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?0