[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?
And the system fonts problem doesn't always occur after I had garbled subtitles with an ASS subtitle.

For example, I just upgrade my xbmc to last jaunty svn ppa version (r23562), reboot, tried to play some ASS subtitled videos.
All had the garbled subtitles (a few lines were sometimes ok -meaning readable- and then the subtitles became unreadable again).
But the system fonts don't became garbled so far....

And nothing seems really relevant to report in the xbmc.log file...

@elupus: Are you able to reproduce the problem on your installation?
Do you need a "sample" file on which we get the problem?

regards,
Typhoe
For me i get the destroyed system text after playing almost anything. Youtube clip. QT Trailer. x264 mkv file.

I use VDPAU.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
mediaplay Wrote:When stopping playback after this corruption is observed, text sometimes (not always) shows corrupted in the XBMC menus.

I get the menu text corruption reproducably if I do things in this sequence :

1) Play h264 content (with VDPAU) with ASS subs, like my Trigun_-_10_-_Quick_Draw--ASS.subs.sample-002.mkv. Notice that the subs are garbled.

2) Hit "x" on my controller to return to the browser with minimized video window playing. Subs are still garbled in that smaller window, and all of the UI elements text is BLANK.

3) Hit "b" on my 360 controller, get the UI with weird garbled/shadowed versions of the text. It's character-for-character but you can't read anything.

4) Going to an uncorrupted menu like the "Weather" menu will uncorrupt the rest of the menus.

5) However playing the garbled ASS/VDPAU clip will corrupt the menus again, as in 2/3.

6) The "Weather" menu is now corrupted, and does not work to uncorrupt the other menus.

7) The "Settings" menu will still/(always?) recover the UI text.

8) Playing an xvid file with ass subs (like [AHQ] Chobits - 01 - Chi Awakens.xvid.with.ass.sample-002.mkv which I uploaded as a sample to http://drop.io/stdquhc) will uncorrupt the *subtitles* in a VDPAU/264 sample like the trigun sample.. but will NOT keep it from corrupting the UI fonts.

Bizarre!

=darwin
(r23253 on linux 9.04)
mediaplay Wrote:for me as well - the XBMC font corruption only happens after there is corruption of ASS/SSA subtitles with VDPAU.

If you’re using the default XBMC skin trying setting the font in look & feel from default to Arial. So far this seems to have resolve the GUI corruption on my system.
xeon Wrote:If you’re using the default XBMC skin trying setting the font in look & feel from default to Arial. So far this seems to have resolve the GUI corruption on my system.

Makes no difference for me.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
The problem is the issue only seems to occure in combination with vdpau. I've got no hardware for that and are not really interested in getting any.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@elupus : Then is there a way for us to provide info to help you (the devs) to solve these issues?
I think it's one of those things a dev with the hardware will need to debug to figure out.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, too bad....

Let's hope someone will try to investigate it. Maybe Blittan? He seems to have an Asrock ION 330 now:
http://xbmc.org/blittan/2009/10/12/asrock-ion-330/
Thumbs Up 
typhoe Wrote:Ok, too bad....

Let's hope someone will try to investigate it. Maybe Blittan? He seems to have an Asrock ION 330 now:
http://xbmc.org/blittan/2009/10/12/asrock-ion-330/

+1

I would also greatly appreciate having a solution to the ASS/SSA subtitle problem with VDPAU .
Same issue with garbled subtitles on VDPAU enabled system.
Maybe some other dev's that do have VDPAU hardware are willing to have a look at it? (maybe motd2k ?)
ssa subtitles have been a huge isue for me for quite some time (i just had to extract the ssa from mkv and convert them to srt to show properly..)

* dafart crosses fingers..
I've just upgraded my xbmc & nvidia drivers, and the couple of files I've tested, subtitles are working again. Hurrah!

Versions are:
xbmc 9.04.3+svn23626-jaunty1
nvidia 190.36-0ubuntu1~jaunty~nvidiavdpauppa1
Can anyone else confirm that this problem no longer exists on trunk?
Hi,

this morning I quickly tested the last svn rev 23626 (jaunty ppa) and the problem was still there.

I saw that Dortamur uses the nvidia driver 190 branch so, as I was using the 185 one, I switched but no progress at all. Problem is still there with OpenGL 3.2 drivers.

A point maybe worth investigating is that Dortamur indicates he uses the driver from the ppa.

I'm using the binary one from nvidia directly.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Me...for_NVIDIA

Could it be significant?
How other have they installed the nvidia drivers?

Regards,
Typhoe
Hi,
not solved for me:
nvidia 190.36 from avenard repo
svn23711
Switching to another render and then back to vdpau still fixes the problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?0